Manchester halls Watch

This discussion is closed.
silent_reverie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have just decided to accept Manchester uni as my firm choice after the open day last week..
Right now im trying to decide which accomodation to apply for.. on the open day i really liked Woolton Hall, but having read some of the previous posts it seems to be more popular than I had thought as the accommodation booklet gives no indication that this hall is over subscribed..
Someone said that you have to be good at sports.. how important is this?
Is there anyone here who has lived in this hall? - if so is it nice?

which halls should be avoided?

any info would be much appreciated
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by silent_reverie)
I have just decided to accept Manchester uni as my firm choice after the open day last week..
Right now im trying to decide which accomodation to apply for.. on the open day i really liked Woolton Hall, but having read some of the previous posts it seems to be more popular than I had thought as the accommodation booklet gives no indication that this hall is over subscribed..
Someone said that you have to be good at sports.. how important is this?
Is there anyone here who has lived in this hall? - if so is it nice?

which halls should be avoided?

any info would be much appreciated
I've been told to avoid Owens Park, I'm pretty sure everywhere else is okay though. I'm picking Grovensor Place/Chandos/Canterbury Court or Dalton Ellis. In order of want.

Just about to fill my accom form out now actually. Decided to wait to do the loan forms on the internet.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would say to try and avoid the Sherwood Street area of Fallowfield though I don't think there is any university halls down there. That round is known as the mugging capital of south Manchester.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I would say to try and avoid the Sherwood Street area of Fallowfield though I don't think there is any university halls down there. That round is known as the mugging capital of south Manchester.
Blah at Fallowfield, way too far away!
silent_reverie
(Original post by Petrozzi)
I've been told to avoid Owens Park, I'm pretty sure everywhere else is okay though. I'm picking Grovensor Place/Chandos/Canterbury Court or Dalton Ellis. In order of want.

Just about to fill my accom form out now actually. Decided to wait to do the loan forms on the internet.
Yeah, i thought Dalton-Ellis looked lovely but i want to be at Fallowfield ideally as its apparantly the main student area..

What are you studying?
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by silent_reverie)
Yeah, i thought Dalton-Ellis looked lovely but i want to be at Fallowfield ideally as its apparantly the main student area..

What are you studying?
Computer Science, and you?
silent_reverie
Computer Science, and you?
Law
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Blah at Fallowfield, way too far away!
Blah at Fallowfield at your own risk!
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Blah at Fallowfield at your own risk!
Dude, after a night out I can barely get up mind sit on a bus for 30 mins to get to lectures.
Streetwize
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
see, i stayed with my friend who is at Richmond Park and we just took the Magic Bus and it got him straight to his lectures. The Richmond Park campus, where Owens is next to (if im not mistaken) is really nice! close to the sports hall too and shops are really close to it. i dont think even if after a night out, i would mind taking a bus for 10 mins. but then again, i was only visiting and still in 6th form so i guess i dont know what its like to live like a uni student, haha
silent_reverie
yeh i thought the buses were brilliant! straight down the road to the uni.. wouldnt take half an hour at all :P
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dude, after a night out I can barely get up mind sit on a bus for 30 mins to get to lectures.
Nearer 10 minutes buddy!

I do know what you mean though, the location isn't perfect. But Fallowfield has a lot more positives and I'd say location is the sole negative.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Nearer 10 minutes buddy!

I do know what you mean though, the location isn't perfect. But Fallowfield has a lot more positives and I'd say location is the sole negative.
I think you've summed it up nicely, in terms of social life and community I've been told Fallowfield tops it. However I have a few friends goint and we've decided to go ghetto (GP/GSB) since we're poor.

To be honest though, pretty sure we'll enjoy wherever we go.
ellthepirate
Report 15 years ago
I really liked Woolton Hall - I stayed there last year (first year) and loved it, but was refused a place for my second year, so am now in a slightly grubby house in West Didsbury.

Sports are not important at all. The people who run the JCR in particular and some others were part of sports type things, but I think the vast majority of people living there knew nothing about all of that. It's just a matter of get involved if you want to.

Anyway, the food is good, the surroundings are the best of all the halls in my opinion and the rooms are enormous compared with most other halls I went to. And you can easily leave your room at 20 to and be in a lecture on the hour, so apart from having to buy a bus pass (which are 4 quid at the most a week), living in Fallowfield is no extra hassle. Also, living in Woolton you get the convenience of living in Fallowfield and on the bus route, but the hall is set back from all of that... most people don't even know it exists despite the fact it's right next to Oak House.

I am feeling slightly nostalgic now!
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone knows how's Ronson Hall? Both positive & negative comments are welcome

And is there Internet Access in every bedroom?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
One of the problems with Fallowfiled speaking from a manc that went to school near there so I know a lot of the locals is that the locals seem to hate students. They can't handl;e their jealousy. I think Withington seems to be quite popular with students now as its a bit more relaxing, Chorlton and Didsbury are a little far out and too expensive though, this where most graduates/postgraduates seem to live.
kraslan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey there

Im about to fill out my accommodation form now and I think I'll have Richmond Park, Dalton Ellis (Sutherland), and Woolton Hall. I was wondering if any of you knew which hall has the biggest rooms as I sometimes have a problem with tiny rooms. Any advice would be very useful.

Thanks
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kraslan)
Hey there

Im about to fill out my accommodation form now and I think I'll have Richmond Park, Dalton Ellis (Sutherland), and Woolton Hall. I was wondering if any of you knew which hall has the biggest rooms as I sometimes have a problem with tiny rooms. Any advice would be very useful.

Thanks
If you don't mind paying about £2,750 then Chandos hall has "super single" rooms which are nice and roomy. Kinda depends if you like living in the high rise building though!!!
kraslan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If you don't mind paying about £2,750 then Chandos hall has "super single" rooms which are nice and roomy. Kinda depends if you like living in the high rise building though!!!
Thanks for pointing that out. But I was also hoping to have an en-suite room, thats why I chose Richmond Park, Sutherland, and Woolton. Any other suggestions?
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i went to manc today and looked at canterbury court and pankhurst court. both were really pretty and really quiet away from the road. plus the bus services are regular and all rooms are ensuite afa i know. really hope i can go to one of those!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.84%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (310)
64.32%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.77%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.07%

Watched Threads