Manchester halls Watch

This discussion is closed.
Icarus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If you don't mind paying about £2,750 then Chandos hall has "super single" rooms which are nice and roomy. Kinda depends if you like living in the high rise building though!!!
For £3,100 (roughly) a room in Dalton Ellis (Main hall) is roomy, and has a sink as well as 2 meals every weekday. OK, not as roomy as those in Woolton, but big enough to play mini golf in
Tev
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My mum's just been commenting about how all the rooms look tiny! Hehe. I'm sure I'll manage though, I'm going for one of the cheapo £55 a week ones :cool: Its not like I'm planning on spending every minute in my room, so I'm sure I'll manage.
kraslan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey people

Does anyone here know what i should do if i decide to change something on my application after i've already sent it? I've emailed the accomodation office but its been a week and they havent replied yet. Any advice?
Rachel_manc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just ring up - ure much more likely to get help that way - remember that evryone must be emailing them and so they prob have a backlog of replies...if ure there on the phone they can't ignore you!
gavo
Report 15 years ago
I ended up in dalton ellis hall, the majority of it is full of gimps but i ended up in main hall and the rooms are huge, all boys tho which at first thought would be a bit ****, but its a right laugh, everyone has their doors open and regular games of corridor football/rugby as well as huge room pissups. Its also quite, so when u need to study, you can, and u can usually get a full 8 hours sleep without being waken.

from my experience, i reccomend DE or richmond park.
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gavo)
and u can usually get a full 8 hours sleep without being waken.
I don's think so, from what I've heard whenever someone walks down a corridor at night the sound really travels.
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
which is better out of oak house and richmund park.
can someone who at manchester give some advice about the two please
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fatboyslim)
which is better out of oak house and richmund park.
can someone who at manchester give some advice about the two please
Richmond park, by far!
Thats where I live currently and will be livng next year.
jacey
Report 15 years ago
I've put Manchester down as my insurance choice and am lookin at accommodation. Can anyone tell me what Oak House is like? Also what's it like living in Victoria Park coz I've heard Fallowfield is the place to be but VP looks quite nice and leafy! Thanks
TheChetah
Report 15 years ago
Hello all,

I have accepted Manchester as my firm to do BA Econ Business Studies, it all seems really good (much better than some god awful polytechnic I always envisaged my self going to ).

Anyhow, I need to apply for my accommodation now, any suggestions would be great. I am pretty flexible for catered or self catered, I would just like to get to know plenty of people fairly quickly, to be honest. They showed us Chandos Hall on the open day, the room was a bit grim but they say it was just the most basic rooms they have which is their policy. However the area seemed convenient.

Also, is the catered food rubbish? I seemed to get mixed reactions about this on the open day. I am trying to work out if it is worth spending an extra £1000 or so on more expensive accommodation. I suppose that’s for parents to worry about.

Cheers,
James :cool:
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
James
I visited friend in Manchester and Richmond park was really nice. He had niced sized room, nice kitchen n nice communal lounge. Well nice for a student.
Socially i think Oak house. Those are the two i heard really good things about and i applying to.
maybe see you next year as i am starting maths with economics next year
from james
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know whether insurance students apply for accommodation now, or wait till after results?
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
think you apply now cuz on the manchester halls application form is a section where you put if you accepted as insurance or firm
Rachel_manc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oak House is great if you dont want to spend an extra £800-900 pounds a year on accomodation for an en suite at richmond park. i really love it here - its a huge halls and so there's oppurtunity to see and make friends in the halls all the time. The flats may not be luxuruious in comparison to richmond park, but they definitely much better than others ive visited for instance in leeds and birmingham. The lounge/kitchen area is the same size as richmond park, and most of the kitchens have been newly decorated. The rooms aren't huge but are fine for our needs. Definitely choose oak house if you're not that fussed about en suite!
jacey
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rachel_manc)
Oak House is great if you dont want to spend an extra £800-900 pounds a year on accomodation for an en suite at richmond park. i really love it here - its a huge halls and so there's oppurtunity to see and make friends in the halls all the time. The flats may not be luxuruious in comparison to richmond park, but they definitely much better than others ive visited for instance in leeds and birmingham. The lounge/kitchen area is the same size as richmond park, and most of the kitchens have been newly decorated. The rooms aren't huge but are fine for our needs. Definitely choose oak house if you're not that fussed about en suite!

Thanks!
emporium
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Rachel_manc)
How would you rate Oak House in comparison to Whitworth Park (if you've been!)? I'm kinda tied between the two.....
fatboyslim
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thanks Rachel
TheChetah
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fatboyslim)
James
I visited friend in Manchester and Richmond park was really nice. He had niced sized room, nice kitchen n nice communal lounge. Well nice for a student.
Socially i think Oak house. Those are the two i heard really good things about and i applying to.
maybe see you next year as i am starting maths with economics next year
from james
Thanks for that, maybe see you there.

It says in the brochure that Richmond Park is over subscribed, but the brochure must have been made long before people where applying - can anyone clear this up. I wouldn't want to waste an option if there is no chance of getting in.

I just saw that they sent me an invitation to the accommodation open day, which happened last month; I really ought to read my post :rolleyes:.

Can anyone tell me what the food is like in the catered halls?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheChetah)
Thanks for that, maybe see you there.

It says in the brochure that Richmond Park is over subscribed, but the brochure must have been made long before people where applying - can anyone clear this up. I wouldn't want to waste an option if there is no chance of getting in.

I just saw that they sent me an invitation to the accommodation open day, which happened last month; I really ought to read my post :rolleyes:.

Can anyone tell me what the food is like in the catered halls?
I don't think RP is that over subscribed, it didn't affect me getting in anyway.

As for catered halls, some of my friends say the food is pretty rubbish some say it is ok, I think it varies.
TheChetah
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I don't think RP is that over subscribed, it didn't affect me getting in anyway.

As for catered halls, some of my friends say the food is pretty rubbish some say it is ok, I think it varies.
Thanks for that, do you think most people have sent their form off by now?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.84%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (310)
64.32%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.77%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.07%

Watched Threads