The Student Room Group

What do you find tricky to do with proteins?

Hi everyone,

I work producing free learning resources for A-level and Higher level biology.

We're about to start working on an issue about proteins. It's *approximately* 1 million years since I took biology A-level myself, so wanted to ask what concepts, ideas, info, diagrams etc. you think could be explained better to do with proteins?

All ideas welcome, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by mrscat
Hi everyone,

I work producing free learning resources for A-level and Higher level biology.

We're about to start working on an issue about proteins. It's *approximately* 1 million years since I took biology A-level myself, so wanted to ask what concepts, ideas, info, diagrams etc. you think could be explained better to do with proteins?

Are you a teacher or a study helper?

In A level Biology, as far as I can remember, the structure, composition, levels of structure (primary, secondary, tertiary, quarternary) with diagrams, effect of temperature and pH on proteins, protein denaturation and renaturation, amino acids, their types and how they bind in polypeptides, enzyme structure, function and activity.

For specific information related to any exam board, you could check out the board's specifications e.g. AQA, Edexcel etc

As for what to include, if you are going in for a study guide, you can add diagrams, concept maps, charts etc.
Reply 2
Hi Dynamo,

Neither - I work for a charity. We make printed and online resources that complement the A-level biology syllabi, but try and give new and different perspectives to the core content. We're not a text book or a study guide, rather somewhere that gives extra, interesting, current examples and information on given biology topics.

We're not trying to replicate things that are already perfectly good, more looking for niches to fill and ways to help with issues etc. that can be tricky for learners and/or teachers.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 3
Original post by mrscat
Hi Dynamo,

Neither - I work for a charity. We make printed and online resources that complement the A-level biology syllabi, but try and give new and different perspectives to the core content. We're not a text book or a study guide, rather somewhere that gives extra, interesting, current examples and information on given biology topics.

We're not trying to replicate things that are already perfectly good, more looking for niches to fill and ways to help with issues etc. that can be tricky for learners and/or teachers.

Thanks for your reply.

That sounds good. To that end, I think you are doing a good job like chemguide etc are doing.

I agree with the fact that there are niches that need to be filled. That sounds like a good idea to try during summer. :smile:
Reply 4
I know that a lot of my friends find protein synthesis quite hard to grasp and memorise - I think because they didn't understand the chemistry very well, having not done it at higher.
Reply 5
thanks both!
Reply 6
Definitely got to be protein synthesis, which tRNA is in which part of the ribosome doing what. I'm at university and it's still not clear to me :getmecoat:
Reply 7
Original post by Eloades11
Definitely got to be protein synthesis, which tRNA is in which part of the ribosome doing what. I'm at university and it's still not clear to me :getmecoat:

Yup, it just gets confusing all the time. Today I got told that there must be 61 different types of tRNA (corresponding to the genetic code's codons, while excluding stop codons). Protein synthesis definitely oughta be cleared up.
:centipe::centipe:
Original post by mrscat
(...) so wanted to ask what concepts, ideas, info, diagrams etc. you think could be explained better to do with proteins?

In my opinion the best way to understand how proteins come into being - from the translation of nucleobases to the synthesis of amino acid into proteins in ribosomes - is to watch a video about it which exemplifies this procedure well. So I got it at least. For people who know the procedure well or just want to know a part of it, a figure would be enough. To get a closer look at a molecule (transfer-RNA for instance) the same applies to.
Reply 9
If you're looking to fill niches, videos and diagrams are definitely the way to go. They do a great job of helping students visualise what's going on, which leads to a better understanding of the subject.

Unfortunately, these days when you search for protein diagrams or videos you got horrible schematics and 3D models with little explanation behind them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending