Mindfudge
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, I am currently studying my A levels but i want to start volunteering and getting experience in the topic i want to study. Before i wanted to become a pharmacist so i volunteered at the local chemist. I am still gaining experience from there however now i want to go into biomedical sciences. This has confused me a little because i'm not sure what i need to get experience in. I want to do work experience and volunteering so my ucas application looks good and stands out.
Please can you give me ideas on what i could do,
Thank You
BLineDisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mindfudge)
Hi, I am currently studying my A levels but i want to start volunteering and getting experience in the topic i want to study. Before i wanted to become a pharmacist so i volunteered at the local chemist. I am still gaining experience from there however now i want to go into biomedical sciences. This has confused me a little because i'm not sure what i need to get experience in. I want to do work experience and volunteering so my ucas application looks good and stands out.
Please can you give me ideas on what i could do,
Thank You
You could try and get experience in an NHS laboratory. Contact your local hospital, ask for pathology, then ask for someone you can speak to regarding work experience, if they are pushed for time ask for the email address of the appropriate person.

You don't really need work experience to get a place on a course, but it'll be worthwhile for many other reasons.

You could also look for experience in the commercial sector, try and identify some scientific companies in your area that involve biochem or microbiology. It's very difficult to get experience in the commercial sector though due to health and safety and the short length of time you will be there. Your best bet is the NHS as there are schemes in place for work experience.

I just finished my degree in biomedical sciences and start my job as a biomedical scientist next week so I'm quite familiar with the whole process! Any more questions please feel free to PM me.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
i'm starting biomedical science this september and the only work experience i mentioned in my personal statement was the one i did in the army and 2 weeks in a primary school.

i don't think it matters where you do work experience just mention the skills you obtained from that work experience
Mari1974_
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BLineDisaster)
You could try and get experience in an NHS laboratory. Contact your local hospital, ask for pathology, then ask for someone you can speak to regarding work experience, if they are pushed for time ask for the email address of the appropriate person.

You don't really need work experience to get a place on a course, but it'll be worthwhile for many other reasons.

You could also look for experience in the commercial sector, try and identify some scientific companies in your area that involve biochem or microbiology. It's very difficult to get experience in the commercial sector though due to health and safety and the short length of time you will be there. Your best bet is the NHS as there are schemes in place for work experience.

I just finished my degree in biomedical sciences and start my job as a biomedical scientist next week so I'm quite familiar with the whole process! Any more questions please feel free to PM me.
Hey! What did your personal statement look like? And it’s volunteering really essential to study biomed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads