Edexcel geography B Rural Developments in Uganda DME *Official* Watch

Celestial_Blade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi people. If your on this thread then its probably because your dreading the exam on Monday . I think we should all spread some ideas, as we all want A*S. We should combine knowledge together. So in terms of my preferred option, I've chosen to rectify issue 5. Also does anybody have a link to the answers? Like the advantages and disadvantages of each option, because I have a physics exam on Tuesday and I need to smash both tests, quickly and efficiently.

Thank you all: Also here is a EXTREMELY USEFUL LINK:
http://edexcelbgeog.ning.com/forum/t...013-dme-uganda

A thread begun by teachers, who so far posted some useful material.
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya - I feel so unprepared for this exam it's unreal, just want it over with because it's my last exam!

My teacher said there aren't really disadvantages for choosing an option, you've got to justify WHY it is best and what it does differently than the other 4 options. You've still got time, so remember to think outside the box and know what you'll write if it said the worst or if they were being mean and decided to say "we decided to choose option 1.... blah blah blah.... justify why this will help uganda" (they've done that before in a past DME paper!) However, if it asks for the best one I'll be choosing option 3 to build a health clinic or option 2 with the national farm advisory service - (whatever one I have remembered best)

Also make sure you know where everything is in the booklet - that will save time in the exam!

Good luck - you'll be fine! :-) x
Hazel1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, I've just been going over the booklet and answering possible questions. I'm not sure what much else you can do, I feel so unprepared. About the issues I think I'm going to choose either option 1 or 4 if they ask for the best but I'm just going to revise the benefits and problems of each issue, they could ask anything.
Does anyone know the estimated size of the area of the reserves of oil and gas in Uganda, I'm not sure about the answer.
this is my last exam so I can't wait until its over
good luck x
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
does uganda have wet and dry seasons???
stardude8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazza ma razza)
does uganda have wet and dry seasons???
For the exam it really doesn't matter. It is unlikely you would be credited because answers should be based on evidence from the resource booklet.

What point do you want to make about wet and dry seasons?
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stardude8)
For the exam it really doesn't matter. It is unlikely you would be credited because answers should be based on evidence from the resource booklet.

What point do you want to make about wet and dry seasons?
that the fact that there is a wet season could then ruin the dirt roads which would then have severe knock on effects. makes kabujogera more isolated, farmers cant go to market to sell crops and that the fact that if they did the time taken would be very hogh leaving the farms unattended.

simply; i would use the fact that wet season is an important factor when considering the road option
stardude8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tazza ma razza)
that the fact that there is a wet season could then ruin the dirt roads which would then have severe knock on effects. makes kabujogera more isolated, farmers cant go to market to sell crops and that the fact that if they did the time taken would be very hogh leaving the farms unattended.

simply; i would use the fact that wet season is an important factor when considering the road option
That's an interesting point actually. It does have wetter parts of the year(obviously), as shown by this website, but I'm not sure whether this answers your question.
http://www.go2africa.com/location/555/when-to-go

Has anybody got any ideas as to which option they would pick as the WORST one for both Uganda and Kabujogera? I'm going for option 2 for the best option, but I'm not sure which to say is the worst.
bukhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey everyone..good luck on youre revision..
I am goign through likely questions now and going through section a,,b,c of the booklet.
For the options I think th ebest one is option 2 and the worst probably option 1 from own perspective beacuse Kabujogera needs money and development first before they improve health, road and transport connectivity.

For the MDG's how are you guys revising them apart form reading?
bukhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, in the eveing I might do a mini-mock for myself..if anyone wants i can post some answers of questions I think will come up?
bukhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys...Does anyone have any likely questions for issue 4 please?
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt they'd ask the 9 mark question on disadvantages or the worst - there really isn't many disadvantages to choose from! I was thinking option 1 would be the best, or possibly option 2. I'm not 100% sure - just whatever one I can remember in the exam.

Not confident for this exam AT ALL!
marufah_x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
heey...I've gone through the options and it seems like option 3/4 is the best for the people. I written up a page of notes for each option listing all advantages and disadvantages, how is everyone else doing?
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also what would you say if it asked you to describe the location of Uganda on the map?
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've prepared answers for options 1,2,3,5 and why they'd be good in Uganda's development. I can't think of any disadvantages though - my teacher said there isn't any? Someone help please xxx
marufah_x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emilycornish)
Also what would you say if it asked you to describe the location of Uganda on the map?
You have to say that it's landlocked and far away from the town/cities
It's a isolated rural area..but it has lot's of lakes nearby that would help with option 4
marufah_x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emilycornish)
I've prepared answers for options 1,2,3,5 and why they'd be good in Uganda's development. I can't think of any disadvantages though - my teacher said there isn't any? Someone help please xxx
...um that's a bit weird for your teacher to say ..there's at least 3-5 disadvantages for each option; socially, econmically and environmentally..

Do you need every option disadvantages? :confused:
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you be able to help me for the disadvantages? x
emilycornish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marufah_x)
You have to say that it's landlocked and far away from the town/cities
It's a isolated rural area..but it has lot's of lakes nearby that would help with option 4
Thank you! Any idea about how big the oil reserve is in Western Uganda?
marufah_x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Option 1
Option 1
Improve rural roads by;
· Tarmacking roads between every rural village and market town
· Creating drainage channels to prevent road flooding

Advantages
- Tackles first issue: Rural Isolation
- Kabujogera has dirt roads; travel can be slow and difficult
- No mobile networks and communication networks at the moment
- Would be easier to access help/aid from neighbouring towns and cities
- Roads would need to maintained; creation of jobs
- Road flooding would be prevented
- Increased income as farmers can sell their produce in the market
- Increased productivity
- Transport Operators; creation of further jobs
- Higher yields for farmers

Disadvantages
- Creation of pollution due to the increased congestion
- Roads would be maintained pulling people out of agriculture
- Long term benefits; no immediate solutions to present problems
- Could lead to motor accidents, as the local children play on the roads and they wouldn’t see the cars coming or understand health and safety
- More people would have the chance to emigrate out leaving the young, old and sick at home
- No profit can be made
- Cultural dilution..tradition would be lost
- Deforestation
sidney1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have attached a word document containing Advantages & Disadvantages for all the options. Just what I collated together as most of them I didn't write myself.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%