The Student Room Group

AJ's Smashing Summer Anime Preview 2013

AJ's Smashing Summer Anime Preview 2013

Another season, and another range of... interesting anime series on the horizon. As usual I'll do my best to list them all *will no doubt miss several*, provide as much information about them as possible *which may or may not be accurate*, and post my first impressions of them *which won't be as funny as Cara's.*

Last season's thread is here, if you're looking for something to watch in the meantime!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gin no Saji

Servant x Service

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyo

Brothers Conflict

Blood Lad

Choujigen Game Neptune The Animation

Love Lab

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C3-bu

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

Kimi no Iru Machi

Fantasista Doll

Free!

Danganronpa - The Animation

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-Hen

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

Uchouten Kazoku

Genshiken Nidaime

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G

Monogatari Series: Second Season

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya

Watashi ga Motenai no wa dou Kangaetemo Omaera Warui!

Rozen Maiden (2013)

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji

2 Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun

Kiniro Mosaic

2 Kingdom

Gatchaman Crowds

Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS

Highschool DxD New

Tamayura: More Aggressive

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

All the info has been sourced from Anichart, ANN and MAL. All first impressions and opinions are my own, and if you don't agree with them... :spank:
(edited 10 years ago)
Picked up:

Rozen Maiden (2013)

Love Lab

Free!

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

Genshiken Nidaime

Blood Lad

Uchouten Kazoku

Gin no Saji

Gatchaman Crowds

Dropped:

Servant x Service

Fantasista Doll

Brothers Conflict

Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji

Tamayura: More Aggressive

Kiniro Mosaic

Watashi ga Motenai no wa dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
List of the shows I'm most likely to pick up, most important ones on top:

Rozen Maiden (2013)

Genshiken Nidaime

Love Lab

Gin no Saji

Servant x Service

Uchouten Kazoku

Free!

Fate Ilya- is a must for me, I love the Nasu Universe.
The other one with the Maker of FMA: Brotherhood is also a must for me :smile:
Edited to add more trailer links (Tamayura, Rozen Maiden, WataMote, Prisma Illya, Symphogear, Love Lab, Fantasista Doll, Kiniro Mosaic, C3-bu, Danganronpa)... I was a bit lazy on those, copied the ones supplied by Anichart, and they themselves seemed to give up about half way down the list. :redface: Might search for more later, if I have the time. :smile:

Watching them hasn't changed my first impressions much, except that Rozen Maiden is looking more like a remake than a continuation (unless they plan to skip through the old stuff quickly, FMA:B style?) :hmmmm2: Danganronpa and C3-bu have STYLE. :zomg: Oh, and WataMote's PV was great too, no doubt I'll be watching that now. :biggrin:
My potential list (wasn't keen on many last season but i'll make an effort this time around :tongue:):

Servant x Service

Love Lab

Kimi no Iru Machi

Free!- Not greatly interested in this but i'll give it a shot out of sympathy for KO.

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

Genshiken Nidaime- want to watch but need to watch the first season :tongue:

Kiniro Mosaic

Full List:
Servant x Service

Love Lab

Kimi no Iru Machi

Free!- Not greatly interested in this but i'll give it a shot out of sympathy for KO.

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

Kiniro Mosaic
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm looking forward to Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji, the only one I really want to watch, just because, it looks a bit Jojo-ish :colondollar:
PV added for Uchouten Kazoku and Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou... was always going to check out the former, but now I'll have to move the latter up in my list of priorities, too. :giggle:
Reply 8
Heard good things about this from the Something Awful forums TL of the VN

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-Hen
Fan of the manga and last couple of series

Monogatari Series: Second Season
Gotta get me some of that DEEP shaft PLOT.

Its a fate universe show, there was never really any question of me not watching this

Manga is good.
Trailers added for Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji, Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku, Kimi no Iru Machi, Free! and Brothers Conflict.
Reply 10
Prisma Ilya has been on my to watch list since it was announced last year, same with Watamote. Other than those two: Free, Kiniro Mosaic, Tayamura, Ro-Kyu-Bu, Fantasista Doll and Rozen Maiden.

Edit: I forgot Monogatari
(edited 10 years ago)
Finally made a start on the new season! Still have a few final episodes from last season to watch, but I got impatient. :proud:

Will be picking up Danganronpa; I've seen better first eps, but a survival game is a survival game. :p:

[EDIT] Also Senki Zesshou Symphogear G and Rozen Maiden, unsurprisingly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Love Lab reminded me a lot of YuruYuri/Minami-ke, in a good way, so I'll be keeping that on. :yes:

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu was also a laugh, definitely picking that up.

[EDIT] Free! too, for some variation.

Shows I'm undecided on: Inu to Hasami, and Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku. Both were hilarious, but I'm already starting to feel overdosed on comedy, so I'll give some of the more plot-focused shows a chance before committing to them.

Dropping: Servant x Service. It made me smile once or twice, and I can definitely relate to the character's problems dealing with certain types of client, but it was by far the least funny first ep I've watched so far. Felt a bit too much like work. :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
Haven't a clue what was going on in Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou, but I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to watch more! Though that might just be because it isn't yet another comedy. :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
Brothers Conflict was cringeworthy. Not sure how I managed to finish the first episode, but I did. Fantasista Doll wasn't much better, even if it did reference Magic: the Gathering. :p: Both are 100% dropped.

With two less series competing for the last spots on my watching list, I've decided I'll give Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku a chance after all.
Still slowly working my way through the backlog...

Picking up: Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi. Again, I haven't a clue what I just watched, but I liked it. :p:

Dropping: Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji. Too cheesy for me. :rofl:

Undecided: WataMote. Wasn't as funny as I expected, but it had plenty of style.
Definitely picking up: Genshiken Nidaime. Best first episode that I've watched so far this season, IMO. Will also give Blood Lad and Uchouten Kazoku a chance.

Undecided: Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist was a fun watch, but I'm getting a little tired of the whole 'human world and demon world' toing and froing that's popular in a lot of series at the moment... and I already picked up Blood Lad... we'll see.

Dropped: Kiniro Mosaic would have been a must-watch if the whole series had been set in England, with most of the cast speaking Engrish. :giggle: The rest of the series is looking to be yet another schoolgirl moe comedy series, though, and I've picked up enough of those already.

Tamayura More Aggressive was also cute, but didn't offer anything that Kiniro Mosaic wasn't doing better.

WataMote - I feel Genshiken has more than enough eccentric characters for one season.
(edited 10 years ago)
Only just got started so need to progress to make sure I don't fall behind :biggrin:

Servant x Service- Was a nice flowing start to the show, characters were likeable enough. Shall stick with this I think.

Love Lab- I enjoy the genre in general and it did not disappoint, typical perfect student contrasted to 'outcast' student scenario.

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C3-bu- This caught me by surprise, really didn't expect to enjoy the mix of military and school life but hey what do you know. Had some funny moments in alongside its decent start to the story.

Kimi no Iru Machi- Not watched yet as isn't released but OVAs were decent.

Free!- I thought it was okay, not as bad as expected but cringe moments/fan service exists. The jury is out, it has until episode 5 to show me something good :smile:

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku- Was okay, although a possible one to drop in order to catch up with more important stuff. Some of the artwork moments drove me crazy.

Kiniro Mosaic - Was bored to death during the intro and considered dropping straight away. Shall probably stick with though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Will be picking up Gin no Saji, which reminded me strongly of Moyashimon. Fun and educational. :biggrin:

Finally decided to drop Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou after dithering for the best part of a week - again, I've just got too many other comedy series on the go now.
And finally (for now, at least) I'll be adding Gatchaman Crowds to my watching list. As mentioned before, I've not seen any of the 70's Gatchaman series, but this new addition to the franchise seems accessible enough to newbies. If I like Crowds enough (and I really do so far), I can always check out the original afterwards.

There's still a couple of shows I haven't gotten around to watching (Choujigen Game Neptune, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya, Kimi no Iru Machi), but I'm not patient enough to wait for them to get subbed/a HD release/air. :nah: Might come back to them later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending