The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chicken
Don't know if anyone else has heard this, but some pools in Blackburn have banned swimmers from doing backstroke, because there is a high risk of injury to other swimmers...isn't this the most absurd thing you've heard in ages? This country is becoming more ridiculous every day! Crazy!

that is a joke

I used to be amazing at backstroke
Actually I think it's quite sensible - I never do backstroke in a crowded pool unless it's in the "grown up swimming" lanes set to one side.

It's obvious that there are a good proportion of swimmers who don't show as much consideration (in fact I used to be one of them when I was a kid).

If people show that they can't make sensible judgements about when it is or isn't appropriate to swim a fast stroke that by definition means you're not really looking where you're going and have your arms flapping about in front of you then an outright ban during busy times is better than an outright ban at all times.
Reply 3
Breast stroke should be banned for being irritatingly slow and pointless :tongue:
Reply 4
But this country has hardly any decent swimmers...how many times have we won gold medals in the past few years? How are young swimmers meant to practise? Its no wonder we've got no rep for swimming in Britain.
Chicken
How are young swimmers meant to practise?

Not on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon when the pool is full of little kids, families and groupd of kids having a muck around. Weeknights, weekends mornings and weekend evenings most pools are deserted.
Don't they have two different pools for swimmers over therE? Or different lanes? Hmmm.. banning it is quite retarded.
lilsunflower
banning it is quite retarded.

So is using a word as offensive and insulting as retarded
Reply 8
Backstroke is the only stroke I can do without suffocating to death-last time I did front crawl I couldn't get my breath for like 1/2 an hour and as for breaststroke..wel the water keeps going up my nose so I suffocate....and there is no way I would wear a nose clip thingy!!
gwirion
Backstroke is the only stroke I can do without suffocating to death-last time I did front crawl I couldn't get my breath for like 1/2 an hour and as for breaststroke..wel the water keeps going up my nose so I suffocate....and there is no way I would wear a nose clip thingy!!

Just breathe out through your nose (warning - do not attempt if you have a cold). My swimming became so much better when I realised that (very irritating because it seems really obvious yet it took 10 years of swimming for me to think of it).
Pencil Queen
So is using a word as offensive and insulting as retarded

It's only offensive if you make it out to be.

Thiis political correctness is so frustrating. In normal speak, it would mean "slow" or "hindering advance"...
Reply 11
doggy paddle all the way :smile:

Oh, and then shouldn't diving be banned as well? And swimming underwater? And children who splash around when someone is coming up for air. Goodness me. And I thought "no petting" was silly.

(I hate it when people say "retarded" or "spasicated" etc as well Pencil Queen. I also have a bit of a thing about people taking the mickey out of mental illness.)
Reply 12
lilsunflower

Thiis political correctness is so frustrating. In normal speak, it would mean "slow" or "hindering advance"...

Agreed. It does not have anything to do with mental illness unless you define it that way. Retardation simply means slowing down. We use it in music and science.
lilsunflower

Sorry maybe I should be clear.

*I* find it offensive (and have a lot of friends in the disabled community who feel the same way) and would appreciate it if people wouldn't use it.

It might be commonly used but that doesn't remove the negative connotations and doesn't change the way I feel about the word.

In fact lets be specific 20% of people find it the most offended word associated with disability http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/yourspace/worstwords/results2.shtml
Pencil Queen
Sorry maybe I should be clear.

*I* find it offensive (and have a lot of friends in the disabled community who feel the same way) and would appreciate it if people wouldn't use it.

It might be commonly used but that doesn't remove the negative connotations and doesn't change the way I feel about the word.

Okay fair enough. It's prob some british thing then. It's freely used in SEA because we do not have a large disabled community and hence, no need for politically correct terminology.

But I understand why "spastic" would be offensive because it relates directly to mental disability.. the only definition. "retarded" however, as someone pointed out above is used in nearly all fields, not only mental illness.
lilsunflower
But I understand why "spastic" would be offensive because it relates directly to mental disability.

Actually spastic refers to a symptom that affects the movement - most commonly assiciated with people with cerebral palsy...a large majority of whom have no mental disabilities.
Reply 16
good, I have been clowted before by someone doing backstoke!! i think it is a good thing, but should be allowed at lane swimming sessions, where there is noone else for them to bump into.
Chicken
Don't know if anyone else has heard this, but some pools in Blackburn have banned swimmers from doing backstroke, because there is a high risk of injury to other swimmers...isn't this the most absurd thing you've heard in ages? This country is becoming more ridiculous every day! Crazy!

Is this all the time and in any pool, or only at busy times during the week in the pool where children go?

If it's all the time and in all pools, then it is a stupid rule.
Reply 18
bono
Is this all the time and in any pool, or only at busy times during the week in the pool where children go?

If it's all the time and in all pools, then it is a stupid rule.

Its only one or 2 pools in Blackburn at the moment, and as far as i've heard its a complete ban on backstroke.

I can't see the point in it all, many people find that they can only swim on their backs, so basically its inconveniencing them in that they either can't swim anymore, or have to go to an alternative pool. And if that happens then obviously the pool is going to lose out becuase people are going elsewhere.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3556669.stm

Swimmers at a council-run pool have been barred from doing backstroke at busy times - because it is considered to be too dangerous.

Latest

Trending

Trending