The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Latin Verse paper - 17th June 2013

Sorry if someone's already started this thread but couldn't find anything!

I'm doing Virgil's Aeneid, book 4, lines 1-299.
Also doing Ovid's Metamorpheses

What's everyone else doing? and are you all ready for the exam on Monday??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same I'm doing Aeneid and Ovid as well.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of standard/how difficult the paper is going to be? I've looked at past papers when they were doing elegaics instead of hexametres and they seemed to be easier to what my teacher has been giving me :s-smilie: I don't know whether it's because elegaics are generally easier or the poems my teacher has been giving me were too difficult
Reply 2
Original post by cocacolaaa
Same I'm doing Aeneid and Ovid as well.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of standard/how difficult the paper is going to be? I've looked at past papers when they were doing elegaics instead of hexametres and they seemed to be easier to what my teacher has been giving me :s-smilie: I don't know whether it's because elegaics are generally easier or the poems my teacher has been giving me were too difficult

I don't really know because I think this is the first time they've done book 4 and metamorphoses. But tbh usually when it's a new thing the questions are relatively easier as they're trying to 'test' out the new content. Could be wrong but that's what I find!

Do you have any ideas on what specific questions will come up for Aeneid?
Reply 3
Original post by forgetyounot
I don't really know because I think this is the first time they've done book 4 and metamorphoses. But tbh usually when it's a new thing the questions are relatively easier as they're trying to 'test' out the new content. Could be wrong but that's what I find!

Do you have any ideas on what specific questions will come up for Aeneid?

Most probably the beginning of the Aeneid, the cave scene, Rumour and Mercury's speech to Aeneas because these are the bits with more 'substance' to it ! I'm more worried about the Ovid unseen tbh :s-smilie:
Reply 4
How did everyone find this paper? Aeneid book 4 and Ovid Met.
Reply 5
The essays were good because i knew the first sections (of the Virgil) very well. But the translation was horrendous. Can't have got over 50% in it.. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Completely agree with Emiele. The translation was really difficult but couldn't have asked for better questions for Virgil!
Reply 7
Virgil questions were lovely but did anyone else find their first essay not being hugely analytical? :/ I mean, I picked up on some style points but nowhere near as much as I usually would want for a first question...

I was pleasantly surprised at how much vocab they gave actually.
Reply 8
Original post by nikkinak
Virgil questions were lovely but did anyone else find their first essay not being hugely analytical? :/ I mean, I picked up on some style points but nowhere near as much as I usually would want for a first question...

I was pleasantly surprised at how much vocab they gave actually.

I really liked them too! I'm the opposite though - I think my Anna essay was a lot better than my Dido essay. I think I sort of missed the point and talked about the reader feeling sympathy for her rather than her being an appealing character. Oops.
Reply 9
Yer completely agree guys. Though the Ovid was so difficult and to be honest the essays were'nt particularly straight forward either!
What do you think the grade boundaries for this paper will be? Roughly 80/100 for an A??
Reply 10
Last year, 69 was an A and I think it rarely goes above 72 UMS. I reckon probably around 72 for an A and 82 for an A* but you have to remember that Latin examiners being pedantic classicists will mark pretty harshly so...
Reply 11
Also, I normally find scansion easy but just couldn't get the second line to scan. I know it had an ellision but in the end my metre (2 dactylls then 2 spondees) had a short syllable on a vowel before two consonants which isn't right. Ran out of time a bit and missed out a two marker and rushed my second essay. Translation was quite tough, especially first few lines but the other Ovid questions were quite straightforward, I thought.

Pretty sure that that is how it was meant to be scanned but not sure about the elision on the second line.

I would be hesitant to guess the grade boundaries but it seemed harder than last year's paper. I would possibly venture at 68 or 69 for an A, and 77 or 78 for an A*.
Reply 13
Yeah that looks more right than mine, I must have had a bit of a blank but its only one mark so. You think this was harder than last year? I couldn't really tell with the different content.
Reply 14
Original post by meowcat95
I really liked them too! I'm the opposite though - I think my Anna essay was a lot better than my Dido essay. I think I sort of missed the point and talked about the reader feeling sympathy for her rather than her being an appealing character. Oops.

Weren't we supposed to justify how far has Virgil made us have sympathy for Dido? I quoted some bits from the passage they gave us and talked about how she had no control over her fate as she was in the trickery between two gods. Then I went on about how towards the end she seemed a bit pathetic (eg she was captivated by how much Ascanius looked like his father)...
Reply 15
Original post by meowcat95

Oh... I thought that was the point of the second question :P like to what extent does and doesn't the reader feel sympathy for Dido. At least they were pretty open questions though that let you talk about the book properly...
Reply 16
Original post by cocacolaaa
Weren't we supposed to justify how far has Virgil made us have sympathy for Dido? I quoted some bits from the passage they gave us and talked about how she had no control over her fate as she was in the trickery between two gods. Then I went on about how towards the end she seemed a bit pathetic (eg she was captivated by how much Ascanius looked like his father)...

Yeah that's what I thought? How much did you end up quoting from the passage? I only did a few words or so :/ literally could not think of anything to say about her and sympathy except for the "saucia" and the "caeco.. igni" part :/ yeah and I talked about how a Roman reader won't sympathise too much because at the end she neglects her duty towards Carthage by killing herself.
I am almost 100% certain that the question asked how far you agreed with the supposition that Dido was constantly presented in a good light...
Reply 18
Original post by LuxVeritatis
I am almost 100% certain that the question asked how far you agreed with the supposition that Dido was constantly presented in a good light...

What did you write then?
Reply 19
Original post by nikkinak
Yeah that's what I thought? How much did you end up quoting from the passage? I only did a few words or so :/ literally could not think of anything to say about her and sympathy except for the "saucia" and the "caeco.. igni" part :/ yeah and I talked about how a Roman reader won't sympathise too much because at the end she neglects her duty towards Carthage by killing herself.

I only quoted 5-6 things from the passage. Didn't really have enough time to write a really good essay but I thought translation wasn't too bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending