The Student Room Group

What is BTEC Extended Diploma? Help? Will it get me to Uni'?

Hey,

I've just finished my AS year, and if I don't get the grades needed I won't be able to carry on onto A2, so I just need a back-up plan if I don't get the grades (which is very likely).

So my back-up plan is to study the "BTEC Extended Diploma Business - Level 3" at College, this September. It will take 2 years to complete.

Relevant info' about the course:

!You have a number of assignments to complete and these will be assessed throughout the course. Depending on the number of credits you complete, you will be awarded one of the following qualifications:
180 credits: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A levels)
These are all nationally recognised qualifications.".

When I complete this course, will this be enough for me to go onto a course at Uni'?

For example, I'm looking at a course for Uni' now and the entry requirements are A-Level: BBB OR BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DDM.

Does this mean I have to get a DDM in the "BTEC Extended Diploma Business - Level 3" (along with other entry requirements) to get onto that course?

Sorry I'm just confused about all this..

Also as it says it's equivalent to 180 credits, does that mean 180 UCAS points? 'cause I have already been confirmed a C in AS Business and AS ICT which both total up to 80 UCAS points. So if I complete the BTEC course, I'll have 260 UCAS points overall?

Please someone explain!

Basically, my main question is, when I complete the BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Business, will I be able to go Uni' with that achieved?

Thank you.

http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/courses/Pages/Types/Course.aspx?@ID=854
btecs are fine for many institutions sometimes they will have strangely high requirements like D*D*D* for a low ranked uni or sometimes they say you must also complete an A level

if it says DDM requirements then if they make you an offer it will likely be DDM

I dont know what the 180 credits are

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/nationals10/level3dip/Pages/ucas-points.aspx

DDM is 320 ucas points

just a warning its very possible to sail through a btec and not learn anything get a DDD and then fail university make sure you learn it all.
Original post by Ducky07
Hey,

I've just finished my AS year, and if I don't get the grades needed I won't be able to carry on onto A2, so I just need a back-up plan if I don't get the grades (which is very likely).

So my back-up plan is to study the "BTEC Extended Diploma Business - Level 3" at College, this September. It will take 2 years to complete.

Relevant info' about the course:

!You have a number of assignments to complete and these will be assessed throughout the course. Depending on the number of credits you complete, you will be awarded one of the following qualifications:
180 credits: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A levels)
These are all nationally recognised qualifications.".

When I complete this course, will this be enough for me to go onto a course at Uni'?

For example, I'm looking at a course for Uni' now and the entry requirements are A-Level: BBB OR BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DDM.

Does this mean I have to get a DDM in the "BTEC Extended Diploma Business - Level 3" (along with other entry requirements) to get onto that course?

Sorry I'm just confused about all this..

Also as it says it's equivalent to 180 credits, does that mean 180 UCAS points? 'cause I have already been confirmed a C in AS Business and AS ICT which both total up to 80 UCAS points. So if I complete the BTEC course, I'll have 260 UCAS points overall?

Please someone explain!

Basically, my main question is, when I complete the BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Business, will I be able to go Uni' with that achieved?

Thank you.

http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/courses/Pages/Types/Course.aspx?@ID=854

There are a few different diploma's and they are all different 'credit' amounts. An extended Diploma is worth 180 credits, this is NOT the same as UCAS points. It basically relates to the amount of modules and units you do on the BTEC course.

You can go to university with this BTEC. So long as you get good grades IE DDM+. Lower universities will consider you with MMM most likely though. You wouldn't need your AS's as well to get in to University.

You would need to also meet their GCSE entry requirements. It does NOT mean you need DDM at BTEC, AND BBB at A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest