The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by udeyomydays
Hey guys

I have to say that reading some of the posts on here is reassuring in that its a reminder that there are people out there in a similar position to myself. I hope we all one day get past this challenge in life! Personally, Ive been feeling a little down recently having bombed on the UKCAT again ( 625 average). I just finished a biomedical science degree with a 2:1 and having been rejected post interview earlier in the year (queens belfast, undegrad) im now looking at another year out and another application cycle next month. It will probably be for the undegraduate route once more (im fortunate enough in that my parents have said they will help me with the funding in this regard) but i just dont know what to do with the year ahead... :frown:

A few of my friends will be starting a masters in a few months time before once more applying for medicine, i wasnt sure that this was the route for me firstly because of the costs involved and that I dont think it will add much more to my application. I just wanted to seek some advice really as to what you guys would do in my situation. As mentioned by another poster on here, several rejections one after another really do hit your confidence.

Im currently looking for some part time jobs to pass the time and im back at home living with my parents. Im feeling kinda low as I can see how my very presence is making them stressed and anxious, so maybe I need to move out, I dont know...Its just that overall i guess you can say that im feeling lost, the part time jobs that are available around me are just your typical retail, (sainsburys, WHS etc..) should i go for these? Should i apply for graduate jobs and leave after one year?? I also just got an email the other day about a 2 year physician assistant masters course at UEA (only comes up to £500 per year as theyre offering bursaries to all who are on the course) I was thinking this might be a good way to get even more experience at a clinical setting and some good background to go with my biomed degree?

Would love to know your thoughts on all this guys, thanks in advance for your help.

Hello!
I am in a very similar position to yourself, I just graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Science, and I am sitting my UKCAT tomorrow, but my previous score was 655. I have applied 3 times now and been rejected every single time before interview (due to my UKCAT). I know exactly how it feels to be rejected, especially when it seems like everyone else on your course is getting offers! But I would say to you to persevere with this application cycle. The fact that you got an interview last year proves that you are good enough to be a candidate, and you have the qualities they are looking for! I have heard that it is perfectly normal to not get offers after your first interview, as many people need practice. It is possible to get interviews at some 5 year courses with your UKCAT score, so don't give up! Apply and see what happens, and I am sure that your interview experience from last year will really help this year. If you are unsure about your UKCAT score perhaps you could sit the BMAT? My friend with a UKCAT score similar to yours sat the BMAT with only a few weeks practice and got 2 BMAT school interviews.

I have actually applied for the Physician Associate MSc at UEA, and found out yesterday that I have an interview next monday! It is certainly appealing due to the bursary, so maybe you should consider these courses as a back up for next year incase you are unsuccessful this year?

All I can say is don't give up! Good things happen to those who wait and persevere, and it sounds like you really want this :smile: Good luck
Hello all!

Applying for 2016 entry, done the gamsat (phew! although may have screwed myself on section 1 but not thinking about it for now) now tweaking personal statement which is why I am here....do we need a personal statement for each uni we are applying to or do you submit just one?

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Cuts92
Hello all!

Applying for 2016 entry, done the gamsat (phew! although may have screwed myself on section 1 but not thinking about it for now) now tweaking personal statement which is why I am here....do we need a personal statement for each uni we are applying to or do you submit just one?

Many thanks :smile:

You can only submit one personal statement on UCAS.
Hey guys Im currently a first year genetics student and want to do gem after I graduate (hopefully). just wondering if you guys have any tips for me in terms of work experience and so on and how to really 'stand out' from the other applicants.

thanks in advance.
Original post by polerat
Hey guys Im currently a first year genetics student and want to do gem after I graduate (hopefully). just wondering if you guys have any tips for me in terms of work experience and so on and how to really 'stand out' from the other applicants.

thanks in advance.

Some information can be found here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide or you could look through the thread.
Anyone else getting really antsy about getting their GAMSAT result back?
If any of you guys still check up on this thread, do you have any advice for interviews. Especially MMI

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackraven
If any of you guys still check up on this thread, do you have any advice for interviews. Especially MMI

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be yourself
Have fun with it
Smile
Dont conform to the 'cookie cutter' medical student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending