May Balls at Cambridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
I'd rather go home! Hiding sounds a mite uncomfortable over two days, though it would be fun to outwit them..

Crana: basically I think you either go home or stay with people in Cambridge. My home's just down the road so I guess I might as well just pop back for a bit of home cooking... I'm kinda hoping we can have our rooms back afterwards though as a) I don't want to have to cart all my stuff back just then and b) I'd really like to be able to go and crash there after the ball and the following day...
i meant hiding so as to sneak into the ball lol
or if not you, you let a friend sneak into your room. most colleges only chuck people out a few hours before - hence it is easier to hide
J
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
AS a secondary act in our tiny jcr we had the scratch perverts
best djs i ever heard. awesome guys too
Yeah, your JCR is really small, and you don't have toilets near your bar... sadists
...but I'm really jealous, wish we had the scratch perverts for our ball!

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I hope we don't get chucked out, but I don't think we will as I don't tihnk the ball extends as far as Mem court :confused:
No you shouldn't be, the ball won't extend as far as mem though they may do some construction in mem like they did last year.

Security should be fairly tight at the may ball this year, one of my mates is tickets and security and I've been checking the plans. The in-ball checking should be better than usual, as well as the perimeter being covered.

Alaric.
Jamie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Yeah, your JCR is really small, and you don't have toilets near your bar... sadists
...but I'm really jealous, wish we had the scratch perverts for our ball!

Alaric.
Um, mate, i don't know if the only time you visited corpus bar was the 3 weeks last year the bar toilets were being renevated, but the toilets (unisex disabled access ones) are literally 2 foot outside of the bar door.
and baring that theres another one (secret one) hidden right close by, and an entire toilet and shower block (that serves the entire of old court) about 15 foot from the bar.
so yeh, theres plenty of loos!
as for the scratch perverts.
simply awesome. beats even dj yoda in my mind
J
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i meant hiding so as to sneak into the ball lol
or if not you, you let a friend sneak into your room. most colleges only chuck people out a few hours before - hence it is easier to hide
J
Lol! I think it's a couple of days before at Sidney making it a little more difficult - drat my college committee...
Jamie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Lol! I think it's a couple of days before at Sidney making it a little more difficult - drat my college committee...
corpus last year were going to have it so we had to leave the morning after the ball ie ball finishes 6am, we leave by 12am.
took alot of convincing before they realised how stupid they were being
J
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
in my experience, Magdalene has the best May Ball in Cambridge.

My experience stretches to one May Ball.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Um, mate, i don't know if the only time you visited corpus bar was the 3 weeks last year the bar toilets were being renevated, but the toilets (unisex disabled access ones) are literally 2 foot outside of the bar door.
Now you see I just saw the disabled sign (was quite pished) and thought that they were very convenient for wheelchair users and kept looking.

and baring that theres another one (secret one) hidden right close by,
Yeah, that's the one I found eventually, really hidden... went all round a court behind the bar area and stuff before I came round in a big circle and found it right next to the bar again.

and an entire toilet and shower block (that serves the entire of old court) about 15 foot from the bar.
so yeh, theres plenty of loos!
I stand corrected, but I didn't see any of these either! Ok, I was fairly wasted.

Your JCR has lots of arcade machines in which was quite cool, but the pool table was broken :mad: at the time.

Alaric.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
in my experience, Magdalene has the best May Ball in Cambridge.

My experience stretches to one May Ball.
Well hopefully I'll be getting to do first aid at some other balls apart from Clare's, though maybe not this year. That'll mean I get to experience others, without having to pay, which is always nice
Hedgie
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Does anyone know what Christ's balls are like - oh dear that sounds a bit rude/blasphemous but you know what i mean
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hedgie)
Does anyone know what Christ's balls are like - oh dear that sounds a bit rude/blasphemous but you know what i mean
Lol, it does a bit! Unfortunately I really don't know what they're like - they've probably got a website up for the one this year though, so have a google and see if you can find it.
Jamie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Now you see I just saw the disabled sign (was quite pished) and thought that they were very convenient for wheelchair users and kept looking.

Yeah, that's the one I found eventually, really hidden... went all round a court behind the bar area and stuff before I came round in a big circle and found it right next to the bar again.

I stand corrected, but I didn't see any of these either! Ok, I was fairly wasted.

Your JCR has lots of arcade machines in which was quite cool, but the pool table was broken :mad: at the time.

Alaric.
sound and vision sometimes take their time repairing it - punishment for the fact we always block the pockets
J
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Well hopefully I'll be getting to do first aid at some other balls apart from Clare's, though maybe not this year. That'll mean I get to experience others, without having to pay, which is always nice
are u a cufas member? I so nearly joined... still get the emails.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
are u a cufas member? I so nearly joined... still get the emails.
Nope - Clare Red Cross - one of my friends runs it. Obviously not as big as the uni one, but they still do a lot of stuff.
doodlebeetle
Report 15 years ago
The thrills played at johns last year?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? :eek: i missed them! :mad: I only saw mint royale... Trinity had Supergrass, and erm... well 911. But that was good fun!

Agree the fireworks at johns were good - much better than trinity (and queens' which were going on at the same time), but did you see the fireworks at midsummers common this year??! They were so incredible! Smiley faced explosions and everything! <in awe>

This year i'm going to robinson and trinity again. I'm really looking forward to it! I've heard a lot about robinson and it seems to be one that everyone's been to and enjoyed but is often overlooked. The dining menu looks really extravagant and at least10 times better than trinity's overpriced formal hall menu! (What is up with that anyway?? beef medallions?! :confused: ) I didnt manage to get caius tickets, so i'm over the moon that my trin tix came through!

What about June Events? I've been to Pembroke, Downing and Trinity Hall, of which TH was by far the best spent 40 quid! Space and the James Taylor Quartet were there (iirc), plenty of food and drink available, though queues for food were a tad long. Only complaint is that the night ended too soon! It was the best night of the three last year (but to be fair i was ill for trinity, and still fragile at johns...)!

What happens at Oxford? my boyfriend is there and appears to be clueless which ones are worth going to, if at all. They don't seem to be much of a big deal there, though i think they would be awesome seeing as the grounds are so huge!! Any advice??

--
db

Just for the record, i've also been to selwyn snow ball x2, girton spring ball, cny x2! Wish i'd been to more in my first year! :P
London Prophet
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How to get into May Balls Free

Buy a violin, or just a violin case .... walk in behind the band saying your part of the band ..... voila!
Forders
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yey foolfarian, im at peterhouse and going to my ball!!!! would tell u lots of exciting things about it but...know none sadly committee are hush hush but more exciting that way!!!!! its my first time, when do they tell u whats happening at the ball? is it on the day? also, i dont understand, how can they chuck u out before term ends?? do they charge u less for accommadation? do they let u back there after?

look forward to seeing u there!

xxx
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
All this talk of May Balls is rather exciting!!!

Is gonna be a crazy three days!.......: Working at Trinity Ball, Going to Johns Ball and finally the legendary Trinity Hall Event!!

Are all the May Ball committees irritatingly secretive and self-important? One of my friends is on the committee for Sidney and much as I love him, it's getting to the stage where if he drops one more hint about the bloody thing I swear I'll get my frying pan out...
Yeap, we cant get anything about the Ball out of someone we know on the committee....not even free tickets! :rolleyes:

yey foolfarian, im at peterhouse and going to my ball!!!! would tell u lots of exciting things about it but...know none sadly committee are hush hush but more exciting that way!!!!! its my first time, when do they tell u whats happening at the ball? is it on the day? also, i dont understand, how can they chuck u out before term ends?? do they charge u less for accommadation? do they let u back there after?
We also get kicked out on the day of the ball.....and as far I know, you dont get no rent refund!
Jamie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by doodlebeetle)
The thrills played at johns last year?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? :eek: i missed them! :mad: I only saw mint royale... Trinity had Supergrass, and erm... well 911. But that was good fun!

Agree the fireworks at johns were good - much better than trinity (and queens' which were going on at the same time), but did you see the fireworks at midsummers common this year??! They were so incredible! Smiley faced explosions and everything! <in awe>

This year i'm going to robinson and trinity again. I'm really looking forward to it! I've heard a lot about robinson and it seems to be one that everyone's been to and enjoyed but is often overlooked. The dining menu looks really extravagant and at least10 times better than trinity's overpriced formal hall menu! (What is up with that anyway?? beef medallions?! :confused: ) I didnt manage to get caius tickets, so i'm over the moon that my trin tix came through!

What about June Events? I've been to Pembroke, Downing and Trinity Hall, of which TH was by far the best spent 40 quid! Space and the James Taylor Quartet were there (iirc), plenty of food and drink available, though queues for food were a tad long. Only complaint is that the night ended too soon! It was the best night of the three last year (but to be fair i was ill for trinity, and still fragile at johns...)!

What happens at Oxford? my boyfriend is there and appears to be clueless which ones are worth going to, if at all. They don't seem to be much of a big deal there, though i think they would be awesome seeing as the grounds are so huge!! Any advice??

--
db

Just for the record, i've also been to selwyn snow ball x2, girton spring ball, cny x2! Wish i'd been to more in my first year! :P
Hang on...weren't mint royale (who were also most excellent) just after the thrills...
Did you stick around for the cheese cover band (fronted by Alex from New Hall). They were awesome. Wicked time
J
Jamie
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
All this talk of May Balls is rather exciting!!!

Is gonna be a crazy three days!.......: Working at Trinity Ball, Going to Johns Ball and finally the legendary Trinity Hall Event!!

Yeap, we cant get anything about the Ball out of someone we know on the committee....not even free tickets! :rolleyes:

We also get kicked out on the day of the ball.....and as far I know, you dont get no rent refund!
Most hated person on may ball comittees...fresher rep. basically means they have feck all to really do
J
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.54%
Excited (156)
9.14%
Worried (306)
17.93%
Terrified (379)
22.2%
Meh (167)
9.78%
Confused (37)
2.17%