Does my GCSE BTEC count towards my 5 a* to c?

Watch
Sinny96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there,

I wanted to know this for a really long time so thats why I am here.

These are the following grades I got for GCSE -

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
Maths - D (Currently Retaking)
English D (Currently Retaking)
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

I want to do computing for University the reason why I am retaking Maths and English currently in Sixth form. I wanted to ask if my BTEC counts towards my 5 a* to c because currently I have two and thats very bad.
ConsiderScience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not sure how the universities look at it but depending on the level of the BTEC i think it has an equivalent to GSCE'S/A-LEVEL (I dunno what grade though) I think that has something to do with the points given but higher levels though.

What Level is your BTEC ? ?
Jophesxi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes Are these the only GCSE's you've done? You currently only have 4 A-C grades not including English and Maths?
Sinny96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jophesxi)
Yes Are these the only GCSE's you've done? You currently only have 4 A-C grades not including English and Maths?
4? But how? This does not include English and Maths as I got D's.
Sinny96
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConsiderScience)
I am not sure how the universities look at it but depending on the level of the BTEC i think it has an equivalent to GSCE'S/A-LEVEL (I dunno what grade though) I think that has something to do with the points given but higher levels though.

What Level is your BTEC ? ?
I did BTEC Level 2
Jophesxi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sinny96)
4? But how? This does not include English and Maths as I got D's.
Oh wait - Do the science and ICT BTEC'S count as 2/3/4 GCSE's each? I can't remember.

English is two isn't it? And maths is one.
ConsiderScience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok so according to the internet A merit is a B and a level 2 is suppose to be the equivalent to 2 GSCE'S.

Source
Sinny96
Rep:
?
This is where I get very confused. I need to talk to a teacher about this but they give completely different stories to what the other teachers say.
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

I want to do computing for University the reason why I am retaking Maths and English currently in Sixth form. I wanted to ask if my BTEC counts towards my 5 a* to c because currently I have two and thats very bad.
BTECs come in different sizes and levels, hence some of the confused answers. Level 2 is officially equivalent to a GCSE Grades A*-C. The BTEC you have done could be the size of 1,2 3 or 4 GCSEs - you would have to check with your school or look on your results slip (look in the RH column of your results slip - a merit would be worth 46 points if it is 1 GCSE worth, 96 for 2, and 192 for 4.)

Whether a university would care how many GCSEs you have, or would count the BTEC is another matter entirely.
Sinny96
Rep:
?
Well I want to do something computing related at Kingston University.

The two a-levels or equivelant is not a issue but the 5 A* to C might be a big issue, so I need to find out if I got these 5A* to C. I will definitely get a C on maths and maybe if I'm really lucky C on english as well.
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I want to do something computing related at Kingston University.

The two a-levels or equivelant is not a issue but the 5 A* to C might be a big issue, so I need to find out if I got these 5A* to C. I will definitely get a C on maths and maybe if I'm really lucky C on english as well.
If they will count 'two A levels or equivalent' then they will probably accept '5 A*-C GCSEs or equivalent' but you will have to ask them to be certain.
chichi98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jophesxi)
Oh wait - Do the science and ICT BTEC'S count as 2/3/4 GCSE's each? I can't remember.

English is two isn't it? And maths is one.
I believe English is only 2 if you enter for English language and English literature, some people only do English language, thus only counting as 1 (this may not be the situation here of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
jananj99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
u got E for RE im in year 10 and i got a B
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

Level 2 BTECs are considered the same level as a GCSE. They come in different sizes, from memory: Award (1 GCSE), certificate (2), Extended certificate (3), diploma (4) but for school league tables they only count as one each and many other places may do the same. I suggest you ask universirites where you are considering applying hw they would view them.
jananj99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol
Mark_2019
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, can I ask (6 years after the thread started) how did you get on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (87)
27.8%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.17%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
30.03%

Watched Threads