Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Past Cambridge prospectuses (prospecti?) have included a table showing which courses at each college are under or over subscibed in terms of applications etc.

This year's prospectus doesn't include such a table. My brother wants to apply for SPS and would find that sort of info helpful. Do you think the University has deliberatlely left out this info this year? Or can we get this info from somewhere else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    Past Cambridge prospectuses (prospecti?) have included a table showing which courses at each college are under or over subscibed in terms of applications etc.

This year's prospectus doesn't include such a table. My brother wants to apply for SPS and would find that sort of info helpful. Do you think the University has deliberatlely left out this info this year? Or can we get this info from somewhere else?

Last year Queens' had the most applicants.

ReputationRep:
    According to last year's prospectus, the approximate popularity of the colleges was:

Very popular: Clare, Emmanuel, King's, Pembroke, St Catharine's, Selwyn, Sidney Sussex, Downing, St John's, Trinity

Average: Jesus, Queens', Robinson, Trinity Hall, Corpus Christi, Magadalene, Peterhouse

Less popular: Christ's, Churchill, Fitzwilliam, Girton, Goville and Caius, New Hall, Newnham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Last year Queens' had the most applicants.
    Ralf
    I'm intrigrued as to how you know this fact? Certainly according to the stats in previous prospectuses - see Minta's post- it isn't as popular as some other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Ralf
    I'm intrigrued as to how you know this fact? Certainly according to the stats in previous prospectuses - see Minta's post- it isn't as popular as some other colleges.

I was told by a fellow at emmanuel college on an open day. Think he said selwyn had least applicants. (these were for 2003 entry so they have not been published in any prospectus yet).

ReputationRep:
    I was told by a fellow at emmanuel college on an open day. Think he said selwyn had least applicants. (these were for 2003 entry so they have not been published in any prospectus yet).
    Where did emma come?

You know, I'm sick of it being that the only colleges people (outside of the whole oxbridge thing) have even heard of are Trinity and Kings. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Selwyn was insanely popular last year, from what I've heard (from people being interviewed there who I knew)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    Where did emma come?

You know, I'm sick of it being that the only colleges people (outside of the whole oxbridge thing) have even heard of are Trinity and Kings. Sigh.

Im not sure. You were sitting in the same room as me when we were told, you know.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know when the applicantslaces stats for 2003/2004 will come out?? Aren't the stats on the Cam site for 99-01?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure. You were sitting in the same room as me when we were told, you know.
    You're memory is rather good. I remember him swinging his legs while talking to us from the table top, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    You're memory is rather good. I remember him swinging his legs while talking to us from the table top, however.

Oh yeah, lol. That was rather distracting.

ReputationRep:
    I've just received the Selwyn prospectus and the stats for last year are in it. As someone said it was very very popular last year. The ratio of applicants to places for some subjects (music eg) was frightening! I just can't see how they would have taken anyone at all in the pool when they had all those applicants. Is it the case that only the women's colleges and Girton (possibly also Homerton?), for obvious reasons, fish people out of the pool?

ReputationRep:
    I've just received the Selwyn prospectus and the stats for last year are in it. As someone said it was very very popular last year. The ratio of applicants to places for some subjects (music eg) was frightening! I just can't see how they would have taken anyone at all in the pool when they had all those applicants. Is it the case that only the women's colleges and Girton (possibly also Homerton?), for obvious reasons, fish people out of the pool?

Excuse my earlier comments. On second thoughts I was told selwyn was the least popular for vet med, but wasnt sure about the other subjects. But to be honest, the prospecti that I have dont suggest that it is overly popular and I dont see why it would be.

ReputationRep:
    Is it the case that only the women's colleges and Girton (possibly also Homerton?), for obvious reasons, fish people out of the pool?
    I have no idea about last year, but in 2002 someone from my school applied to Jesus for English and got fished out by Fitzwilliam. This site http://oa.waveflex.com also lists people who were pooled to Churchill for Music, Pembroke for Law, Selwyn for Classics and Downing for Maths with Physics.

ReputationRep:
    yes, I was one of those unfortunate music students. I got fished out by rbinson and I know people wh were taken by homerton and fitz.

MB
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by musicboy)
    yes, I was one of those unfortunate music students. I got fished out by rbinson and I know people wh were taken by homerton and fitz.

MB
    Student from my school (for Arch&Anth) was fished from Emma by Girton, and was accepted there - apparently the tutor for A&A was part of the interview team at Emma.. so didn't need to go for a pool interview!

ReputationRep:
    Is it the case that only the women's colleges and Girton (possibly also Homerton?), for obvious reasons, fish people out of the pool?
    Those four are the main ones, but places like Fitz, Robinson, Churchill also take them - and I'm sure that there are other colleges which go fishing in the pool on occasion. Just depends if they've had enough good candidates that year.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.