Medics Who Got Offers Look Here!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Daenerys
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hey, I just wondered why some unis like Southampton don't interview medics, I understood it was a very important part of the selection process. Does it lead people to believe that Southampton is 'easier' to get into, and so they can get more choice of applicants?
Juleah
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
Hey, I just wondered why some unis like Southampton don't interview medics, I understood it was a very important part of the selection process. Does it lead people to believe that Southampton is 'easier' to get into, and so they can get more choice of applicants?
Southampton choose not to interview, because they say that what can a 15 minute interview now, tell you what sort of Dr they'll be in 5 years time.
Their selection is heavily based on your school reference and your personal statement.
Southampton certainly isn't easy to get into and not any easier than any of the other med schools. They have a lot of applications (in fact one of the highest) probably because people may want to apply there because they're no good at interviewing etc.
With regard to choice of applicants, all of the year one medics here are from a variety of backgrounds, not all are straight A students, there are a mixture of graduates and school leavers etc. (If you can't tell, I'm a Southampton medic).
NNXX
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Juleah)
Southampton choose not to interview, because they say that what can a 15 minute interview now, tell you what sort of Dr they'll be in 5 years time.
Their selection is heavily based on your school reference and your personal statement.
Southampton certainly isn't easy to get into and not any easier than any of the other med schools. They have a lot of applications (in fact one of the highest) probably because people may want to apply there because they're no good at interviewing etc.
With regard to choice of applicants, all of the year one medics here are from a variety of backgrounds, not all are straight A students, there are a mixture of graduates and school leavers etc. (If you can't tell, I'm a Southampton medic).
I'm applying to southampton this year. What do u think of the course and the city? When I went there on the open day, I liked the uni but the city seemed a bit dead! (although it did have a good shopping centre!)
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Notts interviews...

Don't worry - I heard horro stories, but they really are no different to any other medschool interviews.

Likely things are going to be why med, why Notts (and why Notts different to all the other medschools), extracurricular activities, workexperience/voluntary work, ethical issues, medical topics in the news etc. They're not trying to catch you out, so just be yourself.

If you want any more info, e-mail me at [email protected]

Good luck

joy
Juleah
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NNXX)
I'm applying to southampton this year. What do u think of the course and the city? When I went there on the open day, I liked the uni but the city seemed a bit dead! (although it did have a good shopping centre!)
The course so far is really good and they are always asking us what they could do to improve it, so it appears that students views are taken into account when developing the course. All of the lecturers are very helpful, some are a bit odd, but that's to be expected where ever you go!
The city during the day isn't too busy, unless you venture into West Quay the large shopping centre, where there are hoards of people whatever the time of day! At night there is plenty to do, with loads of pubs, clubs and bars. The students union on main camp[us is actually a night club as well, but also turns into a cinema twice a week whihc is pretty good.
Southampton is a really nice area to live, nice and green if you like that kinda thing!
Patient contact is good too. I go to a GPs every fortnight and am following the progress of a baby through their first year of life and taking histories etc, but only practising at the moment!
Overall, am really enjoying Southampton, if you want to know any more, will be only too happy to help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.32%
No (597)
65.68%

Watched Threads