Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
go for it, i'm retaking GCSE maths right now cos apparently Uni's favour that

ooo gcse maths rock i remember those days
DazYa
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Year 11?! Lucky you, we had a shocker of a teacher in Maths for 2 years......

Shows how teaching standards variate so much - From good to hurrendous.
yeah, it's very polarised

my chemistry teachers and physics teachers are superb.... and the head of college helped me put together a sexy personal statement for dentistry
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Apparently, say after A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths, Degree level Maths isn't *that* unbelievably rock hard/impossible.

Although I don't know how true that is!
Trust me, its hard. First year wasn't too bad, then it just became impossible!
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
No my friend we are alike, I also got an A :P And I have no excuse as my teacher was pretty good, though only 3 of us did higher.
Which is good because clearly you are a very good Mathematician, and you recieved a Cambridge offer

Hence, this shows that people can peak (or at least in maths?) at different stages, although of course if you are naturally bright then you would get A or A* in all/most of your subjects at GCSE - Hence a grade here and there doesn't matter whatsoever, as potential and realising when people peak/haven't yet is also important.

Although, I got A* in Physics, which is what I plan to do later
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Trust me, its hard. First year wasn't too bad, then it just became impossible!
Maths at Leeds University then? (you're doing)
DavidBrent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Will an AS Maths grade form part of a uni offer, or will they just offer 3 A levels and not care what you end up with in Maths?
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DavidBrent)
Will an AS Maths grade form part of a uni offer, or will they just offer 3 A levels and not care what you end up with in Maths?
depends on what degree and what uni you go to it should say on the prospectus
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Which is good because clearly you are a very good Mathematician, and you recieved a Cambridge offer

Hence, this shows that people can peak (or at least in maths?) at different stages, although of course if you are naturally bright then you would get A or A* in all/most of your subjects at GCSE - Hence a grade here and there doesn't matter whatsoever, as potential and realising when people peak/haven't yet is also important.

What if you peaked at nursery?
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They may give you an offer on it. i.e.) 3A's at A2 + AS Maths.

It isn't that likely, although relatively common nevertheless - And it may help you get an offer, regardless of what they decide for it to be.

It may not help much though, although it is still well worth it - A person who is good in the Arts section as well as in the maths section is also a very positive feature of any applicant - Especially for something like Law.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They may not base your offer on the AS maths (ie. they may say you just have to pass) but I would say that it will be a big plus point in your application that you have studied a variety of subjects and can think very logically.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)

I have my moments of mathematical inspiration, but I'm not errr how do we say, 'hot ****?'

Apparently the average age for a mathemtician to peak is early 20s, supposedly one of the many reasons why they discourage gap years.

Good stuff, I hear you're applyimng to oxford.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
What if you peaked at nursery?
Imagine that, being a Mathematical genius at that age!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Imagine that, being a Mathematical genius at that age!
Well from then on, everything went downhill for me.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)

Good stuff, I hear you're applyimng to oxford.
Yes, applying for Physics at Ox
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well from then on, everything went downhill for me.
HAHA, don't be so cruel on yourself!

At least you can say that you were godly at Maths at the age of 3!
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I heard a statistic stating that those with an A-Level in Maths on average receive a salary 10% in excess of the average.

That's a good reason to do AS-Level Maths.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am currently doing AS levels in History, Geography, Politics and English. I want to drop Politics after AS and I am thinking of taking up Maths as an extra AS level in the 2nd yr to go alongside the other 3 A levels. I got an A grade at GCSE in Maths and I want to do Law at University. Predicted A/B in my other AS levels.

Do you think I should do Maths to broaden my subject range? What is the workload like?
If you found maths at GCSE very easy then then you'll do fine at Maths A-Level. If you struggled to get the A then i suggest maybe think about it a bit.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing GCSE maths at the moment and our teacher has chosen half of the top set to do advanced maths, does anyone know what this is in relation to GCSE or AS level.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.9%
No (593)
60.26%
Not really bothered about them (205)
20.83%

Watched Threads