Is Business Studies/Business Management regarded as 'soft'?

Watch
Thomas_96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Without trying to cause any offence (I am myself considering taking this option) many people have said how Business Management/Studies is a type of ''nothingy'' subject, picked by people who aren't particularly good in a specific subject, or certain of the course they want to do.

Is this degree indeed as mickey mouse as others say it is? The career opportunities after the degree do look tempting but the constant referral of soft and degradation that this subject suffers does put me off. Anyone help?
Part A
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomas_96)
Without trying to cause any offence (I am myself considering taking this option) many people have said how Business Management/Studies is a type of ''nothingy'' subject, picked by people who aren't particularly good in a specific subject, or certain of the course they want to do.

Is this degree indeed as mickey mouse as others say it is? The career opportunities after the degree do look tempting but the constant referral of soft and degradation that this subject suffers does put me off. Anyone help?
Depends what university you study it at. If you do it at a top uni, like LSE/UCL/Warwick, you'll be fine with regards to career prospects. At Warwick, Management involves economics/statistics/psychology/accounting so it's a wide range of different subjects within one course. At a lower ranking uni, it may just be pure business which may justify the soft degree attitude some people have.
ssxx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomas_96)

Yes, it is soft.

Even if you study it at LSE or Warwick, it is still soft compared to Maths from LSE or Warwick.

Too many people in this country want an easy ride at university.
Do something challenging if you want to impress your future employer.
Part A
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ssxx)
Yes, it is soft.

Even if you study it at LSE or Warwick, it is still soft compared to Maths from LSE or Warwick.

Too many people in this country want an easy ride at university.
Do something challenging if you want to impress your future employer.
Stupid, stupid advice. Not everyone wants to do Maths at uni, and doing a course just to impress future employers is a silly way of going about your future. Warwick Business School sends a lot of
their undergrads into investment banking, consulting and accounting - as long as you do a fairly quantitative degree at a top uni, you'll be fine.

There are other things you can use to impress potential employers; don't listen to anyone that tells you your degree choice will determine your future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thomas_96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the replies. I want some more opinions If you're reading this thread, do you see it as soft??
ReqMT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it is a "softer" degree compared to say economics, but it does depend on your uni and module choices. As mentioned earlier, a business degree from the top universities tend to focus more on mathematical and economic principles and so is more of a niche element of business. Going down the mid range unis, you would probably find that the degree is more well rounded and this means that there are potentially easier/less rigid modules.

Business degrees tend to have a lot of modules that are pretty much useless (telling this from experience) and believe me will not make you any more savvy than you are now. These are modules that base a huge amount of emphasis on management and development theories and in my view does not serve much use (I did a few of these modules and learnt nothing significant to broaden my knowledge further) and it is quite easy to score a 2.1 from the essays. However, you can always choose the more quantitative/financial modules if you like and this should make your degree work more challenging and rewarding. So for example, I took all the finance/economic modules available yet I still wanted to learn about other relevant stuff in business that will be useful for my career or just for curiosity so as not to focus solely on just finance but have a well-structured knowledge in all other relevant aspects of business (such as CSR, Marketing, Law).

In the end, choosing a business, economics or finance degree makes no matter to most job roles, it is how you go about selling yourself to the employer is what counts. But of course each degree has their own values. Doing a business degree will be more beneficial towards an accountancy/marketing/management role, economic degrees will help if you are going into banking/capital markets/consulting etc.
Davott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ReqMT)
In the end, choosing a business, economics or finance degree makes no matter to most job roles, it is how you go about selling yourself to the employer is what counts.
THIS, THIS, THIS.

I study Management, and people on my course are working at places like Goldman Sachs, Nestle, P&G, Unilever, L'oreal for their placement. Clearly, these employers don't see it as a soft degree as long as you can sell yourself to them.
leonidas13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nice conversation .

What is your opinion about MRes Management ?

Thank you
MeganRok
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not soft at all. Business makes the world go around, something like Management and International Management are brilliant for these economic times. At the end of the the day, to go into any organisation at all (big or small) they will want a degree like this. I think Management is better than Business Studies, but it does depend on the modules.

To those saying it is soft and they should do maths. **** off, not everyone wants to do the same, you will most likely end up working for a Business/Management student one day!
ReqMT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah it's not soft in some aspects. I agree that stuff like international business and similar modules do prepare you to develop your business acumen further. But it is a notion that business does.tend to be more easier due to the broad and theoretic topics that it covers rather than it being structured and scientific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ZoroOtho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know where people get the idea business is a 'soft' degree. Its one of the most highly sought after degrees - alot of graduate schemes specifically ask for business degrees or degrees in a related subject.

I will say one thing though 'business' is a very broad subject (which may be where people get the misconception its 'soft') so you really need to wisely select the modules you choose - making sure they're relevant to the industry you one day want to work in.

Its a 'soft' choice to choose business, but its not a 'soft' degree.
NickEgg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davott)
THIS, THIS, THIS.

I study Management, and people on my course are working at places like Goldman Sachs, Nestle, P&G, Unilever, L'oreal for their placement. Clearly, these employers don't see it as a soft degree as long as you can sell yourself to them.
2 year old thread but if you're still on TSR what uni are/were you at?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads