Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...c-16-june-2013

ReputationRep:
    Transcript Part 1:
    19:59
    tutor2u: Evening everyone. Welcome to the BUSS4 revision clinic - we're covering BOTH section A and Section B today.

This is going to be busy - so please dont submit repeated questions - you'll be blocked! Look through the transcript as it develops to see what has already been asked.

A full transcript of the session will remain here once the clinic has finished at 9pm.

Please be nice to our amazing panelists and don't forget to follow them on Twitter!

+ We don't know what essay titles are in the exam - so don't asked.

Comment From neel2494
    what kind of evidence do you need for contingency planning because no firm actually provide their contingency plan??

Comment From tessdomenet
    what is a cult leader?
    20:00
    tutor2u_graham: is in the building...
    Geoff Riley: Hi - Geoff Riley - I'll be helping to produce the event and answer relevant questions on business and the economy
    tutor2u: tessdomenet: a leader whose firm shows cult-like symptoms - e.g. Walt Disney

Comment From tessdomenet
    If you can't think of a business to back up a point should you still make the point or not?
    20:01
    @businessAlevel: businesAlevel here to help
    tutor2u: tessdomenet: If you can;t make a point without evidence, it is not worth making

Comment From ruby_fx
    I have gone through each possible topic and done two examples of companies… Is this enough or should I do more?

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Any idea on the culture of Virgin? Strong, evidenced by Branson's actions?

Comment From emmasarfas
    What kind of question would come up for corporate/contingency planning?
    Business Jen: Hi, here to answer any questions you may have

Comment From Justin Man
    Talking about what happened in a business example is not analysis, is it?
    20:02
    tutor2u: Justin Man : it can be both application and analysis - if it helps develop and support a logical chain of argument

Comment From clinquantholly
    do we get a section B case study?
    @businessAlevel: Write your comments here. Click 'Post' to publish.
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: From reading many examiners reports, it appears that many students are failing to develop responses in relation to HOW and WHY. For example, it is not good to say a merger failed because of poor leadership. You need to explain WHY the leadership was poor and WHY it contributed to the failure of the merger
    tutor2u: clinquantholly : yes - each Section B essay has a mini case study - but you dont have to refer to it if you dont want to

Comment From ruby_fx
    I have gone through each possible topic and done two examples of companies… Is this enough or should I do more?

Comment From j_bailey29
    Any good examples i could use for the economic environment?

Comment From Jake Hardesty
    Hey, do you have any real life business examples for economics related questions? E.g resulting from changes in the interest rate or exchange rate? Really struggling to find any.

Comment From vickwhitehouse
    What are the main things we need to look at in a question for evaluation marks?
    tutor2u_graham: Good evening Adam..

Comment From Jag_Sanghera
    Will you get marked down if you use the same businesses in both section A and section B?

Comment From tessdomenet
    what are cult like symptoms?
    Business Jen: Justin Man - retelling a story will waste valuable time. Using it to answer the question is application and explaining its relevance is analysis

Comment From kimjemima
    hey, can you link Kodak to a Bureaucratic leadership culture as they were risk adverse and against modernising?
    20:03
    tutor2u: kimjemima : yes, possibly; it is said that Kodak management were far too complacent/arrogant

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Is it worth knowing the variables in the economy of the UK, or just some key terms and an outline of how it has performed?

Comment From wedderss
    How likely is it that leadership, external environment, or mergers and takeovers comes up?

Comment From jackmorris14
    What would you recommend as the best way to consolidate our knowledge on real firm examples?
    20:04

Comment From adampjacob
    Hi all
    Geoff Riley: Economic environment - these are difficult times for the UK economy - slow growth, government austerity, falling real incomes for millions of people.

Strong evaluation considers how businesses might be affected and how they can respond + why some businesses have been more successful than others in meeting economic challenges

Comment From Bhaviek_Jeram
    What should be the structure for the essay?

Comment From Khilen Khillz Khilochia
    I havent even started section A, im doing section B first and starting section A tomorrow.
    tutor2u_graham: Re questions coming up: please dont ask about what topics will come up as we do not know..at all..

Comment From tessdomenet
    Do you know an organisation that has had more costs than benefits from a culture change?

oh, okay, brilliant - how many times should we refer to section A case study is our answer?

Comment From neel2494
    what kind of evidence do you need for contingency planning because no firm actually provide their contingency plan??
    @businessAlevel: jag sanghera - no as long as its relevant

Comment From Sophie Holman
    For section B, is it a good idea to include a graph. For example a aggregate demand/supply graph to show possible impacts of the recession or such like. I know its more economics, but would we gain any extra marks for doing so? Or is it a waste of time?

Comment From Jakub Ruszczyk
    I have seen that last year you gave some predictions for Section B. Do you have any for this June's exam?
    tutor2u: Jakub Ruszczyk: they were not predictions

Comment From Aiden Mould
    Should the same essay technique be used ores cations A&B?
    20:05
    tutor2u: Aiden Mould: yes - exactly the same essay technique for both essays
    Business Jen: Jag_Sanghera not if the case studies you use are relevant to the question!

Comment From kimjemima
    thanks. Also when referring to a business do you have to specify the business brand name or can you refer to the market? e.g. person culture - univerisitys

Comment From wedderss
    Can you use the same example youve used in section A, in section B, or is that not really a good idea as it may show you havent done a lot of research?
    tutor2u_graham: Aiden: Yes, good essay technique is good essay technique...
    @businessAlevel: aiden - yes but you need to make at least 2 references to the case study for section a
    tutor2u: wedderss : if the example is relevant, then use it in both essays!

Comment From Justin Man
    I'm trying to say what happened in a business example to try an support a logical chain of arguement but i'm afraid of story telling. How can i be confident that what i am saying about a business and what happened in their situation is analysis and application?

Comment From Jakub Ruszczyk
    No?

Comment From ruby_fx
    Could someone suggest a research example regarding 1) European business and 2) Organic growth
    20:06

Comment From elees7
    How many marks for knowledge available?
    tutor2u: elees7: very few marks for knowledge

Comment From kimjemima
    on Jag_sangheras point is this also ok if you use some of the same points?

Comment From Adam_Longland
    Like your example question 'Is a weak organisational culture the most likely cause of business failure?' how can you not go off topic when arguing against?

In Section A can they only ask you questions related to the pre released material? Like on the 5 bullet points
    20:07
    tutor2u: vickwhitehouse: yes; both Section A essays MUST be on the research theme

Comment From James Dearling
    Would you say that it would be better if we focus on exam technique more than using extensive knowledge of case studies?
    @BusinessSTP: Vickwhitehouse - yes

Comment From neel2494
    what is European business and do you have any examples?

could someone please tell me a real life business for each topic for section B please
    @businessAlevel: clinguantholly - at least twice, this should be in your points not 1 in your analysius and1 in your evaluation

how many marks for eval?
    tutor2u: clinquantholly : there are up to 14 marks for evaluation in EACH essay

Comment From Luke Cawdery
    The tutor2u buss4 guide is helpful in knowing how to approach the exam I thought!

Comment From Olly_Alexander
    Could someone suggest a good example of how a weak culture has a bad effect on the business?

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    For organic growth, wouldn't a decent example be Domino's?

Comment From Robbie Hay
    in need of serious help... how many case studies should we know for each bullet point? and how many case studies should we know for each section b topic?

Comment From 1DJenna
    what business examples could I use for a section b question on the European union?

whats better, 3 well analysed and evaluated issues or 4 issues but less analysis and evaluation?
    adampjacob: It isn't the end of the world if you summarise something that happened to a business or that a business did but generally you can assume that the examiner will have heard of most examples you use. Irrespective, as long as you use the example to illustrate your point, the examiner will know that you have done appropriate research.
    20:08
    @businessAlevel: ive got technical difficulties

Comment From kimjemima
    does knowledge count for points such as specific statistics?

Comment From min_chiii
    how many paragraphs should we write for section B

Comment From j_bailey29
    Do we need to know any examples to do with the E.U?
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Read this. It is the examiners report from a recent buss4 paper. Gold Dust:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-WRE-JUN12.PDF

Comment From JulesGalloway
    In terms of strategies to improve abusinesses performance facing a harsh external environment, is it basically talking about porters generic strategies, ansoff matrix and lewin's force field?

Comment From emz3e
    what are the best business examples you would recommend for section A?
    tutor2u_graham: Maish_rah: No, not at all..it just needs to support arguments made
    tutor2u: emz3e : so many good ones; Ikea, Royal Mail, Google, Nokia, Barclays, Enron - read the blog
    @BusinessSTP: Jake, analysis and evaluation are key and you don't need to have many points for it to be good. The key is quality and not quantity.

Comment From emmasarfas
    will we get extra marks for remembering figures?

Comment From jheezykhan
    what would be a good layout for bpth the 40 marks?
    20:09

Comment From maish_rah
    does the business we use as an example need to be well known?

Comment From NicklassCaeg
    What are the topics to research in Section B for application? So for A it's culture, what about B?

Comment From ruby_fx
    So many people are asking about the EU. Could someone shed some light on it please
    Business Jen: Jheezykhan Use the PEEL technique
    adampjacob: elees marks for knowledge are implied in the mark scheme. By explaining your points, applying them to a business situation and analysing them, you will demonstrate knowledge.

Comment From neel2494
    does automatically adding information such as gdp
    @businessAlevel: jules - porter and ansoff strengthen your analysis if used as logical arguments

i think to use Nissan forEU
    tutor2u_graham: Ruby: Can you be more specific

Comment From tessdomenet
    would you say a strong culture will always be innovative and entrepreneurial?

Comment From Megan123love
    Can i use Enron to when organisational culture has failed and then link this to bad culture and leadership styles of banks and how barclays are attempting to change?

Comment From Aiden Mould
    *should the same essay technique be used for sections A&B
    20:10
    tutor2u: Aiden Mould : yes - use the same techniques for both essays

Comment From DavidMeyrick
    With the exam structure, is it aim to write 3 PEEL points with 2 for and 1 against?

What is the best way to plan - like what should we be brainstorming and thinking of and how long should we spend planning and then writing the question for each essay?
    @businessAlevel: aiden, scroll down for previous response
    Yes
    LesleyC: jheezykhan : layout should be a brief intro to what you are going to discuss then go straight into your discussion - if analysing advan/disadv then you need 2 points for both, if asking an opinion then you need 3 reasons - with evaluation throughout.

What's a good tip for hitting good analysis?
    @BusinessSTP: Emma, you need to do something with figures and there must be a point to stating it. Otherwise, it'll probably be seen as (simple) knowledge. It's not what you have but what you do with that information. Show cause and effect as much as possible
    20:11
    tutor2u: Luke Cawdery : Good analysis is all about building a logical chain of argument - a series of linked steps that explain how and why - our stepping stones method is designed to deliver that
    @BusinessSTP: Luke, what is the consequence of xy or z and this then leads to abc ....

Comment From spen_g94
    which examples of businesses are best to use for the five research bullet points?

Comment From Justin Man
    What does the "evaluate" section in the PEEL technique mean? i thought you should analyse the business example and then evaluate
    adampjacob: Adam - I assume you are thinking of explaining other reasons for business failure when arguing against. This is fine. In fact, it is likely to be a good way to answer. As long as the points you make are relevant to the question, ie about business failure, it will be good.

Comment From 1DJenna
    help on retrenchment and some business examples?
    tutor2u_graham: Read this from the examiners report in relation to PLANNING your essays:

'Planning involves being selective - deciding what not to develop is as important as deciding what to develop. By planning the response, the introduction to the essay is likely to have far more value because it can set the scene for the rest of the essay. It also means that there is more likely to be a clear direction to each of the paragraphs and the essay moves logically to the final paragraph'
    @businessAlevel: vickwhitehouse - you have 50 mins for each question so you can afford the time to plan
    examiners reports say better answers have come from planning
    2 points for 2 against and depends on
    LesleyC: Luke Cawdery, if at the end of each sentence you can still ask why or how - then you haven't analysed sufficiently - also remember to make sure that each sentence/paragraph answers the question

Comment From BradleyEyles
    In terms of barclay's and toxic culture could you argue it to be a successful culture?
    @BusinessSTP: Spen_g ... you need to log into the @tutor2U blog on BUSS4
    20:12

Comment From min_chiii
    in sectionB, how many points should we write?

Comment From Bhaviek_Jeram
    What examples can you use as evidence for corporate planning and decision making?
    tutor2u_graham: Lots of questions on what is likely to come up. All I can say is that every topic on the specification is likely to come up.
    20:13
    @businessAlevel: Bradley: yes but it depends on question

Comment From ruby_fx
    Just a good example that can be used to support European Business? I don't have one
    tutor2u_graham: Remember, an essay is simply a collection of well developed paragraphs. Make sure your points are in depth

Do you have any evaluation points you could use in an essay? Thank you.

Comment From JASMINATOR12793
    In section A we have to relate to the case study mentioned, but section B we don't?????! and is enron a weak culture because it had toxic subcultures or strong because it was so aggressive and tough employees felt pressured to fix/lie about data

Comment From Mateusz Kobiera
    How should an essay be planned? 2 points for and 2 against an arguement and talk about businesses related to the case study etc?

Comment From kimjemima
    when referring to questions about leadership, do we need to know the names of the leaders?
    @BusinessSTP: Bradley ... did you watch the BBC series on banking culture. The first (of the 3) will answer your question. It contains lots of analysis and too much for me to explain on here. I can imagine it'll be on a youtube search now. Can't recommend it enough
    tutor2u: kimjemima : ideally yes - well worth having some good examples of real life leadership

Comment From maish_rah
    in the evaluation do you need to give a potential problem and way to solve it like buss3 or is there no need
    LesleyC: BradleyEyles - yes you could argue that is was - upto a point, but remember it was a toxic culture, which isn't a good culture to work in
    20:14

Comment From Justin Man
    would you suggest picking what essays to do before even starting or picking a section A essay doing it and then piking a section B essay?

@businessAlevel would you be penalised for doing 3 better developed and evaluated points, as oppose to 4?

Comment From Robbie Hay
    i know examples for section A but not for B? Please help, where should i look?

So using connective words such as 'therefore' 'as a consequecnce' etc are good ways to develop a logical chain of argument?

Comment From Justin Man
    How long should we spend planning an answer?
    adampjacob: Robbie - I have encouraged my students to research 4 business case studies for section A and they can use those businesses to support essay for section B also.

Comment From tessdomenet
    In the question 'are cultural differences within an organisation an opportunity or a threat to business success?' what is meant by cultural differences?
    @businessAlevel: kimjemima - it helps, evidence of evidence of research
    20:15
    tutor2u: tessdomenet culturl differences refer to sub-cultures (e.g. the culture in the US division of GSK very different to the UK)
    Geoff Riley: Enron: Just about the most toxic business culture one could possibly find. Symptomatic of an age in certain respects.

@BusinessSTP: Justin, about five mins. And plan within the answer booklet, on a clean page!
    adampjacob: Robbie - try to use case studies that will be relevant to more than one, possibly all, of the bullet points

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    can we refer to the case study given in section b or do would it be better to use out own research to gain HIGHEST MARKS?
    LesleyC: Justin Man : you have 50 mins per essay, so use 10 mins to plan then 40 to answer

I know that there haven't been many questions on missions aims and objectives. If a questions like this was to come up what kind of question would they ask?

Comment From 1DJenna
    what is retrenchment and what are some examples of it???
    tutor2u: Retrenchment: some good examples here;
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...n-retrenchment

Comment From Megan123love
    can i use Enron when talking about organisational culture failing due to being toxic and then relate this to a current example of the toxic culture of banks and how barclays are attempting to change their organisational culture due to the ppi scandal?
    @businessAlevel: Justin man - scroll down for answer

Comment From spen_g94
    how much time should we allow ourselves to answer the section a & b?

Comment From kimjemima
    With culture topics i sometimes seen to be repeating my points but with different businesses. Will i still get amrkets for this?
    Business Jen: Jake hardestay - For good evaluation link back to the q at the end of each paragraph and consider to what extent the evidence you present impacts on the overall impact / consequence for that business - what else might have impacted or should they consider?
    20:16

Comment From Aiden Mould
    So instead of arguing directly against the question, you could do two 'depends on' points instead?

Comment From Rich_Grimstead
    You say using 2 for and 2 against, can it be done that you have a for and against on one point, therefore only writing 2 lengthy paragraphs as such?

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    do we include a business example in the conclusion/mini conclusions or not? my teacher said no, but i see in the BUSS4 technique guide i bought on your site that students have..
    @businessAlevel: luke - explaining how and why in your therefore point helps to gain Gap also
    adampjacob: kimjemima - you will show knowledge by how you apply and analyse. Use of research is 'application'

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    do we include a new business example in conclusion?
    tutor2u_graham: Vickwhitehouse: A question could be on the lines of:

To what extent is business X's decision to do Y at odds with their mission statement

For section B, is it a good idea to include a graph. For example a aggregate demand/supply graph to show possible impacts of the recession (for example). I know its more economics, but would we gain any extra marks for doing so? Or is it just a waste of time?

Comment From MegarityJames
    Is PEEL the only method we should focus on or are there others?

Comment From Justin Man
    The way i'm planning answers is: Point,why it's important,examples to use and a "depends on".
    20:17

Comment From j_bailey29
    My teacher said it's possible to use sporting examples in my essays. Is this ok???

Comment From elees7
    does it matter if an essay is not balanced, so it leads towards the concluding opinion?
    tutor2u_graham: Elees7: Yes, if your essay is not balanced then the conclusion is one sided
    20:18

Comment From Jag_Sanghera
    Would including a local business for application be a good idea, if it is relevant to the point I am stating or stick to the global businesses?
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Evaluation: Before writing your final evaluation, re-read the question. Then, make sure that you actually answer it

Comment From 1DJenna
    will the questions in section A be in the same format as the research task bullet points or worded differently?
    @businessAlevel: ginnie - evaluation looks at the MOSTimportant factor, evaluate your points already made and question/depends on factors that would get you to change your mind
    adampjacob: NicklassCaeg - Section B can be about any other topics from the BUSS4 specification.
    20:19
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Evaluation: The most significant point. In your final conclusion, try and identify the most significant point and then develop your conclusion from this
    tutor2u: 1DJenna : the essays in Section A will be based on the bullets - but not directly worded the same
    @businessAlevel: jag - small v large is ok

Comment From ruby_fx
    I still have no clue about an example for European Business :s

Comment From NDavis95
    Is 3 points about right to be able to gain as high marks as possible with good analysis and application of them or is 4 maybe better?
    Business Jen: 1DJenna will be related but likely to be worded differently - may be worth you looking back at some past paper research themes and accompanying past papers to see exam format
    20:20
    tutor2u_graham: jheezykhan: You can evaluate at the end of each parapgraph but it is still good practice to give a strong final conclusion
    tutor2u: NDavis95 : I think 3 well developed points is fine + a conclusion

Comment From jheezykhan
    does every paragraph within the essay have to include an example/
    @businessAlevel: j-bailey = that's fine if they are using them in the same way as you would any other business
    be careful not to be bias and story tell as you are fan
    tutor2u: jheezykhan : absolutely - YES!

Comment From wedderss
    in a paragraph when talking about a business in depth, can you in the same paragraph then quickly argue that saying however this business... but in a lot less detail, just a quick counter-argument

Comment From RachelKeating15
    For Eron when talking about culture, you can only really use to to answer the first two points on the prelimary material ie factors influencing and impact on business?
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: The final conclusion: This is from the publicly available examiners report:

'using the final paragraph effectively. For some students the last paragraph remains a short sign off simply stating that there are two sides to the essay or it is used to state that the issue can be seen in different ways; this approach is unlikely to gain high marks. A good essay answers the question set rather than simply highlights there is a case for and against. It is worth students considering what they actually think is the answer to the question before they start writing. A good response is likely to pull together the arguments to come to a supported overall judgement rather than simply repeat earlier arguments. This is a difficult skill and one that needs practice'
    20:21

Comment From KiranSaghir95
    do you have any useful acronyms for BUSS4?

Comment From Dede Olatunji
    What is PEEL and where can I find information it?

even though enron undenibaly had a toxic culture did it have a strong or weak culture and why?
    Business Jen: Jheezykhan - it will be difficult to award good application and analysis marks if you don't
    @businessAlevel: juston man - make sure your final sentence links back to the question - re read you point to make sure it actually answers the question
    LesleyC: jheezykhan : yes because it then shows that you can apply the content to the real business world and shows that you have done your research
    tutor2u: JASMINATOR12793 I woud say that Enron's culture was both strong AND toxic! A culture of illegality

Comment From XalisonY
    Can you use personal examples, such as my school got a new headmaster this year and the change of leadership that occurred or does have to be well known business examples?

Comment From tessdomenet
    I read a blog from 2012 saying the economy in China is slowing, but GDP changed from 8.1% last year to 9.2% this year i read, could you still say the economy is slowing or does this suggest it isnt?
    20:22

Comment From maish_rah
    you know you said the essay needs to be balanced does that mean we have to do 2 fors and 2 against

Comment From jheezykhan
    is it recommended to do a mini conclusion after each paragraph? just to ram that point home

Comment From spen_g94
    apart from defining key words in the question, what else do you suggest writing in the introduction for both section a & b?
    @businessAlevel: jheezykhna - difficult for you to achieve GAp if you dont
    adampjacob: Aiden Mould (and tutor2U to correct me if I'm wrong!) One important difference is that you MUST refer to both the case study business AND your own research in Section A. In Section B you can get good application marks by referring to the business in the question OR your own research (although its probably best to do both anyway but you might not know much about the business in the question).

Comment From min_chiii
    how many examples in total should we have "in depth" for culture ??

Comment From maish_rah
    so we should rank our reasoning in eval?

Comment From elees7
    So in the conclusion can we say 'I think that' or should we word it more like the better option is..

Could you give me an example of a weak culture?
    20:23

Comment From kimjemima
    Can you put 2 different businesses within the same paragraph or should you keep one business per paragraph/point?
    Business Jen: Jheezykhan - yes - it will ensure you keep referring back to the question and prevent you going off track

Comment From salarrezaian
    do you use your own research for both parts a and b? or only part a?
    LesleyC: min-chiii: I have got my students to research upto 6 businesses that cover both section a and b

ReputationRep:
    Transcript Part 2:

@adampjacob - yes, as it was a Section A question I didnt know whether you had to stick to culture? but the points I can only think really of is Bad Leadership, competitors and not matching external changes in the market, but they all lead to a weak culture? how off topic can you go say, actually its not weak culture that leads to failures, its... failure to plan?

Comment From DomRoberts_
    how are we meant to know a business example on every part of the syllabus + every possible variation of question that could come up on culture?
    @businessAlevel: maisah-rah
    yes, most important, what factors would get you to change your mind ie depends on

Comment From maish_rah
    if we do 3 strong points does it make the essay unbalanced instead of doing 4 points

Comment From Sim Goldstraw
    Do our examples for both sections have to include either figures or a quote? Or are they valid just as long as we appear to know what we're talking about?

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    enron had a strong culture cos employees were very good at doing the wrong thing

How many well explained examples should I be using to achieve an A*? many thanks.
    20:24

Could you get away with one point for and against with good depth?
    adampjacob: vickwhitehouse - I get my students to give themselves 40-45 minutes to write each essay. This leaves you 15 minutes or so to decide which question to answer and plan the 2 essays.

is it better to include strong points and vague examples or vice versa?
    Business Jen: Salarrezaian - yes both
    tutor2u: clinquantholly: neither: write good points with good examples

Comment From wedderss
    Sophie Holman: I used mcdonalds because their service is pretty laid back, and not bothered about how quick it is, and sometimes untidy, and mainly hiring youngsters, so could be a sign of weak culture, and then just give data suggesting but they are still succeeding etc
    LesleyC: DomRoberts - remember you only have to answer 1 essay out of 3 in section B, so pick the one that you understand and have evidence of. If you have done your research you will understand and have evidence of a lot of the content and some of the remainder - so make sure you pick the correct essay

Do you have any tips on how to interpret the questions once you read them? Sometimes in exams i can panic and just read the question but would you say we need to do anything specifically so we make sure we are answering the right question?
    20:25
    @businessAlevel: sim - figures help but not just for the sake of it, linkng figures together for eg. gdp with drop in sales

Comment From Greg Humphrey
    LesleyC, could you give us some examples of what your students researched? the names of the businesses for example.

Comment From Justin Man
    How should you bring in contrasting examples? After a “depend on” issue?
    adampjacob: Luke Cawdery - tip I got from the magnificent tutor2U is to think of analysis as stepping stones from your basic point to answering the question asked. Explain step by step.

Comment From winstonhsevern
    Sophie Holman: An example of a weak culture I assume would be one that holds many sub-cultures that causes digression away from the mission and aims of the business. (Enron had a mission of itegrity and respect - however their subcultures lead to them making unethical decisions
    @businessAlevel: clinguantholly - its best not be vague about anything!

Comment From kimjemima
    i normally make a point, link it to a business then talk about the business is this write? i set my section A very similar to section B is this ok?

in a mock at school we got for section A a bit about news of the world but i hadn't researched NOTW, so i made stuff up about it, would it be okay to do this as a last resort for section A? becasue they cant really prove that it definitley didnt happen

Weak culture, any ideas for an example?
    20:26
    Business Jen: Clinquantholly - no room for vague in this exam - be precise - present only the information that is relevant to the question from your case study and follow up with clear, concise explanations
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Make sure that you regularly look back to the question title. This helps ensure that you don't 'drif' and go off track
    LesleyC: vickwhitehouse : when reading the essays, write at the side of them businesses and content that you feel applies to that essay, then pick the essay that you have the most understanding of, and evidence to support
    tutor2u: Sophie Holman : weak culture - any business where customer service is poor - e.g. WH Smith, Burger King, AQA...

Comment From Morounfolu Otubanjo
    What should we include in our introductory paragraph and our conclusion?

Comment From NDavis95
    How many businesses would you do for each point as not to waffle but to achieve good application?

do you have to use the example provided in the section A case study?

Comment From spen_g94
    in section a, does the case study given have to be one of the businesses explained in one of the paragraphs to support the argument?

Comment From _MattGuy_
    how important is it that I remember figures from my research ? can I still get a good grade without them?

Comment From wedderss
    Sophie Holman : Mcdonalds I used
    20:27

Comment From ImogenMitten
    whats the difference between emerging markets and emerging economies? or is there no difference?
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Hello

Simon Mansell here

Sorry I'm late - I'll try and make up for lost time
    Business Jen: Jake Hardesty - yes you should alongside your own case studies
    tutor2u_graham: Lots of questions about business example. Remember, any examples used MUST SUPPORT the point made and then draw ANALYSIS from them
    tutor2u: ImogenMitten : Same thing really, Imogen!

Comment From Jessica Ramshaw
    I don't really understand the 'it depends on' factors, what are they? How much should we include them? and can you give any examples?

Comment From Meg Cleal
    Compare and contrast businesses! That's my motto for this exam

Comment From j_bailey29
    How up to date should our case studies be?
    20:28

i know it says 'and/or' in section b but mark schemes always seem to refer to the top business intro to a Sect B question, is it best to refer to them?
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From _MattGuy_
    how important is it that I remember figures from my research ? can I still get a good grade without them?

Figures are good if you have them but you still need to explain them in relation to the question and build your Perfect Paragraph
    @businessAlevel: vivkwhitehouse - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HIGHLIGHT THE 'HOOKS' IN THE QUESTION AND STICK TO THEM
    IE. INEVITIABLE, SOCIAL AUDITING, SUCCESS, LONG TERM
    adampjacob: Jake Hardesty - avoid pre-prepared point for evaluation. The evaluation comes from answering the question. Reach a conclusion and back it up with reasons for that conclusion
    tutor2u: Adam_Longland : You dont have to, but I think that would be good practice Adam
    LesleyC: Greg Humphrey - we used a lot of the tutor2u top 10, eg Barclays, Ikea, Royal Mail, Amazon etc, then students picked ones that they were specifically interested in, eg Tesco, Sony. We found Tesco excellent because their website gives a timeline for expansion in the BRIC countries etc with lots of facts and figures

Say for a question about whether the external environment is the main drive of organisational cultural change, in my evaluation if i decided on internal factor such as the leader, is it better to agree with the question in evaluation or give an alternative?

Comment From GeorgeMason94
    What businesses could you use for a corporate planning question? Eg) Businesses which do corporate planning particularly effectively or ineffectively?

I always find that the case study really brief and hard to comment on.. what kind of things should we look for when commenting on the case study?

Comment From Justin Man
    Is it better to bring in a contrasting example or a business that also supports the point being made?

Comment From kimjemima
    is weak culture and a toxic culture different?
    20:29
    tutor2u: Here is the link to the BUSS4 topic tracker:

AQA A2 Business (BUSS4) - Exam Topic Tracker
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...-topic-tracker

Comment From DomRoberts_
    So the two section A questions will be on 2 of the 5 pre release culture bullet points?

Comment From kimjemima
    do we actually need to compare businesses? i thought we could talk about them seperately and just link them with a 'however' or 'similarly'
    @businessAlevel: GREG, -banking, Barclays is preety major with reference to culture themes
    look at tutor2u top 10 for 2013

Comment From Antonia Fabusiwa
    Will I be penalised if the figures I use are incorrect eg I say GDP is 8.4% when it is infact 6.9%

Comment From emz3e
    do we have to analyse the small case study or we can ignore it?
    Business Jen: Luke Cawdery - use the case study provided but use your own business examples to compare and contrast

how might we use decision trees?

if I forget an exact figure for my example, can I afford to make a figure up? (providing it sounds plausible) or would an examiner check my figures?
    20:30

Comment From Aiden Mould
    Can two 'depends on' points be used instead of directly disagreeing with the question?

Comment From MegarityJames
    Toxic culture is a weak culture but not all weak cultures are toxic?

Are using graphs a waste of time? Such as AD/AS diagrams, etc. More economics I know, but could I gain extra marks?
    tutor2u_graham: Great advice from the first examiners report for this unit:

'The skill of essay writing needs practice and students
    need to remain focused on the question and use their time to plan a relevant and developed
    answer, finding opportunities for debate and discussion. Pre-prepared responses which
    consist of an extensive number of ‘points’ being made but not related to the title or used t'
    build an argument will not score highly.

Comment From spen_g94
    are there any benefits in using businesses such as zappos as case studies as opposed to the popular apple?
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From BradleyEyles
    Say for a question about whether the external environment is the main drive of organisational cultural change, in my evaluation if i decided on internal factor such as the leader, is it better to agree with the question in evaluation or give an alternative?

In your 3-4 paragraphs you will have made points in agreement and made alternative points...come to the logical conclusion of your points - which do you think are the MOST important arguments and why - explain your judgement
    tutor2u: spen_g94 Zappos is a fantastic example to use for Section A - one of my favourites!

Comment From willarcher94
    whats the specification for section B please?
    20:31
    tutor2u: Section B specification topics listed here:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...-topic-tracker

Comment From McBrideeee
    Would using research from Geert Hofstede be useful? Like how Tesco changed it's culture when it was in America, but if they had looked at Hofstede's research they would have noticed that the UK and USA are very similar which inevitably lead to them not making a profit and ended up in failure?

What should we include in our introduction paragraph.

What is the best way to revise your research?

Comment From Abdihafid Sharif
    could you please give me some examples of businesses that have successfully changed their culture??

How do we get marks for Evaluation? Is it just the conclusion?
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Opening paragraph. For this, just set the scene, perhaps, perhaps an overview of your essay then get straight down to business
    20:32

are we expecpted to know as many business examples for Sect. B as we are A?
    @businessAlevel: Morounfolu Otubanjo - use words straight from the question
    a definition also helps keep you focused

Comment From kimjemima
    is culture manly based on how a business is run or can we base it on the ethical CSR is does e.g. toms shoes and innocent smoothies?

Comment From tessdomenet
    is a strong culture always innovative and entrepreneurial?

Is doing a definition of the key term(s) relevant at all? And do we need an introduction for the essays?

Comment From j_bailey29
    What's the best way to learn case studies?

Comment From NDavis95
    How many businesses should we use for each point to achieve good application?

is it a must to use quotes in our essays?
    Business Jen: Jessica Ramshaw - I would recommend trying to evaluate throughout - use the PEEL technique - link back to the question at the end of each paragraph

Comment From HeatherJohnsonn
    In the exam specification it mentions that in BUSS4 we should be 'synoptic' and bring in knowledge from units 1, 2 and 3? But how much theory from these units are we meant to bring into our answers? And what do you think would be the key ones to focus on
    20:33

Comment From AlexBrunero
    can you gain analysis marks through the use of an example? Eg, X can lead to Y. At Google, X led to Y which led to Z etc...
    @businessAlevel: NDavis95 NDavis95: ]
    How many businesses would you do for each point as not to waffle but to achieve good application? for each point you only need 1 but Gap is achieved when you =start to contrast and compare

Comment From maish_rah
    if it says 'to what extent do you agree with..' in he qu do we have to say how strongly we agree such as using words like 'fairly' 'strongly'
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness:
    Comment From kimjemima
    is weak culture and a toxic culture different?
    Good question - A toxic culture can be very strong, but leads to negative outcomes Enron, Barclays etc...

A weak culture is one which is almost none existent - can be due to lack of a strong leader, no clear values or purpose of a business

Comment From FarahIzzadon
    How detailed does application have to be in order to achieve the highest level?

is it better to do the intro as a definition and link to q or just define?
    adampjacob: Robbie Hay - cannot suggest anything better than the awesome Tutor2U blog. So much good stuff but don't try to learn it all. Be selective
    20:34
    @businessAlevel: you have to make 2 references to case study to get Gap

Comment From wedderss
    @j_bailey29 I've been just trying to remember what happened in the business, how i could link it to an answer both for sect A and B and then just remembering if i can a couple of figures, then in the exam depending on the question pick out whatever info you can remember and apply it to whats being asked i think

Examples of where a weak culture has led to the demise of a business?
    tutor2u_graham: WOW!!!! Read this from the June 2011 examiners reports about ESSAY STRUCTURE. Nothing more needs to be said apart from you would need to PLAN your answer BEFORE you start writing:

'The introduction gave an overview of the whole response, the paragraphs developed a particular argument well with good examples or data to support it and ended with a judgement on the relative strength of this particular argument.
    tutor2u: GeorgeMason94 : most of the failed retailers had a pretty weak culture

Comment From kimjemima
    so is a strong culture a culture that achieves its goals? e.g. Barclays became very profitable???
    Business Jen: So for strong evaluation you need to show logical structure throughout making relevant use of your business examples and effective use of key terminology.

can you please tell me ways of changing organisational culture?

Comment From Danielle Bryn
    Hi, I am having trouble putting theory and examples onto paper- is there any specific way that can help in answering the question?
    20:35

Comment From Justin Man
    How long should business examples be? One or two lines?

would we get penalised for saying aqa have a weak culture because bad customer service like marking papers wrong and being slow?
    adampjacob: tessdomenet - cultural differences refers to a situation where there is more than one culture in an organisation. Some businesses have different cultures in different parts of the business - eg in the banks, the trading parts of the bank probably have a very different culture to the retail banking branches.
    tutor2u: JASMINATOR12793: might be worth using a different example!

Comment From NicolaHo_
    Do you have to include figures in your responses?
    @businessAlevel: Jessica Ramshaw Jessica Ramshaw: ] - what coat are you going to wear tomorrow? it DEPENDS on....
    those depends on factors means you are starting to evaluate before you make your decsion

Would Woolworths be a good example of a weak culture?
    20:36
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From GeorgeMason94
    Examples of where a weak culture has led to the demise of a business? JJB, HMV - just seen Jim's post on failed retailers - nicely summarised
    Business Jen: Justin Man - brief explanation in relation to the question with strong analysis

Comment From ImogenMitten
    how do you get good application when giving your business examples without story telling?
    LesleyC: kimjemima: yes it did - but was that all its goals? Remember culture has an impact on the whole of the business, therefore to what extent did it damage other goals, eg employees etc.
    tutor2u: Story-telling:

BUSS4: Don’t be a Story-teller – Be an Expert Pundit
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...-punditSection

Comment From emz3e
    do we really have to analyse the little case study?

What's the best way to comment on the case study given in section A?

Comment From Justin Man
    Are there any examples where culture has been changed by not changing the leader?

Comment From McBrideeee
    Would focusing on 5 businesses be enough? Or would you recommend researching more?

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    shoudl i write mini conclusions after each side of argument, my teacher says yes, or shall i just write an evaluative sentence for LINK after each paragraph i make?
    @businessAlevel: no, you donty have to refere to case in section B
    tutor2u_graham: Elees7: Off course, otherwise there would be no discussion
    20:37

Comment From elees7
    can you have a weak culture and still be successful; economically?
    Business Jen: Great post on avoiding story telling by @tutor2u . It will help those of you wondering how much you should write about your business examples. Avoid a common buss4 mistake!
    tutor2u: elees7 : yes, many of the water and energy companies make big profits, but their culture can be described as weak

Comment From Azaan Malik
    HI! In section B when a question asks Justify your answer with Costa Coffee and/or other organisation that you know. What if I don t quote examples from Costa Coffee and quote examples from other companies which I researched.will it make any difference

Comment From wedderss
    Justin Man : Im gonna use Primark for that, because the collapse of factory in india caused Primark to have to focus on re-igniting their image and culture, not a change in leadership. so external factors too can influence the leaders development, not just a change in leader
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From emz3e
    do we really have to analyse the little case study?

Not necessarily analyse it - Read it, refer to it when building your paragraphs either as an example of your point or a compare and contrast point

Comment From aliceedunn
    do you have any model essays on culture?
    20:38
    adampjacob: kimjemima - try not to repeat yourself. Rather compare and contrast. If an example backs up your point, you don't need to make the point again but can just simply (and briefly) give your second example to back up your point.
    tutor2u: aliceedunn: i'm going to write a couple for the blog tomorrow

Comment From Zeina Barry
    If you want to bring in quotes to back up your points, would it be relevant to use university scholars (e.g. marketing expert from Warwick business school) or can you only use CEOs and well known business theories, such as Porter?

Comment From Aiden Mould
    Do you have to reference the case study twice in each paragraph or twice throughout the essay? (Section a)

Comment From aliceedunn
    thank you!

Comment From Dan_Balsdon
    As it is outlined in the topic tracker as one which hasn't appeared, what can we write about for European business?
    tutor2u_graham: More great free advice from the examiners reports:

Better responses answered the question and the case provided the support to the argument. It is important for students to think about the precise wording of a question, select and develop arguments relevant to this and to keep bringing their response back to the question set.
    20:39
    LesleyC: McBrideeee : look over past essays for section B, if you feel that you have enough evidence from your research to answer most of them with evidence, then yes it is enough, if however you don't then look at 1 or 2 other businesses that could help you answer most of them.

Comment From NDavis95
    When should you use Porter's five forces? or can it cover a broad scope

Comment From HeatherJohnsonn
    In the exam specification it mentions that in BUSS4 we should be 'synoptic' and bring in knowledge from units 1, 2 and 3? But how much theory from these units are we meant to bring into our answers? And what do you think would be the key ones to focus on?

Comment From kimjemima
    So can we refer to more then one business in a paragraph? so make a point with one case being talked about the most and just mention other businesses that also do this?
    @businessAlevel: BradleyEyle - as long you have analysed the points you can evaluate/judge on any of those points,
    don't forget even when you make a judgment that you still question what wold make you change your mind - ie it DEPENDS

Comment From Justin Man
    Thanks wedderss. life saver
    tutor2u_graham: All past paper, mark schemes and examiners reports available here:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/busin...d-mark-schemes

You should add Wedderss to the panel

ReputationRep:
    Transcript Part 3:

Can you get away with 1 paragraph for and against but in good depth?
    20:40
    tutor2u_graham: Dan: You need to be specific, what question re EU businesses do you have?

Tutor2u the link for how to be an expert pundit brings me to a page saying file not found

Comment From Jamiemoore_1995
    Is it vital to use culture theorists such as hofstede, or can you get away with it? Also is there a page you could recommend me for theorists, would be helpful.
    Business Jen: Heather Johnson - all key knowledge / terminology is synoptic as are many of the strategies you would have learnt in buss3 eg ansoffs

I know its not about quantity but how long would you say the average essay usually is?

Comment From aliceedunn
    you said energy companies have a weak culture, why is this?
    tutor2u_graham: Ive just posted the link for examiners reports everyone
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From McBrideeee
    Would focusing on 5 businesses be enough? Or would you recommend researching more?

For the whole of BUSS4 you really need more to select the most relevant for your essays, to illustrate your points. 4-5 per essay is a good start but if you only have 5 going into the exam, you may not be able to use all 5 for both essays

Comment From spen_g94
    do you suggest avoiding the use of apple as a business example due to its popularity?
    20:41
    LesleyC: NDavis95, when it is relevant, don't just drop theory into a discussion, make sure that it is relevant, eg if talking about Tesco and the power that Tesco has over small farmers - then you could talk Porters etc
    @businessAlevel: jake, figures/any evidence is there to support your analysis
    tutor2u: aliceedunn : I just dont think any of them have a strong set of core values

is refering to an industry rewarded the same as using specific businesses?

I don't really understand the 'depends on' factors, what are they? How much should we include them? so is it just at in the conclusion? and can you give any examples?

Comment From maish_rah
    can you do two fors and only one against if you dont have enough time will it effect the mark
    @businessAlevel: megarity - very true

In refrence to "Comment From emz3e do we really have to analyse the little case study? Not necessarily analyse it - Read it, refer to it when building your paragraphs either as an example of your point or a compare and contrast point"in section A if we're unfamiliar with specific about the company given to us, if we do 2 points for, 2 points against using different companies BUT we include the comapny given by comparing and contrasting our points to that company, is that okay?
    20:42

Comment From Dan_Balsdon
    Graham: I havent seen any specific questions yet but what knowledge is there to write about/what questions could be based around EU business?

What's an example of an 'organic growth' strategy compared to an external one?

Comment From winstonhsevern
    When defining culture, would it be beneficial to state a theorists definition such as "Edgar Schein" or just the definition from the Section A research theme booklet

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Jessica Ramshaw: Depends on would possibly be a set of circumstances specific to the business, and possibly the market?

Comment From Justin Man
    Are there any fast ways of researching? Its taking me ages to do very little

Comment From _MattGuy_
    are there any examples of a weak culture but the business is still successful?

Should we just touch on the mini case study given in section A or do a whole paragraph on it?
    @businessAlevel: spen_g94 spen_g94: ] no benefits other than students tend to story tell when talking about popular apple/superficial knowledge
    20:43

Comment From wedderss
    Jessica Ramshaw: Like say 'overall I think that culture is key to the long term success of a business. however changes in the external environment such as a new competitor etc may affect how the company reacts therefore changing their strategy etc... then what can they do to prevent that i.e. porters strategies like cost leadership or something
    20:43

Comment From Dede Olatunji
    In section A are you supposed to do an introduction then a paragraph dedicated to the case study then two paragraphs each dedicated to a separate pre-researched organisation then evaluation? Or is that not the structure?
    20:44
    adampjacob: Comment From Ginnie Ling
    do we include a new business example in conclusion?

Ginnie - you don't need to use a new business example in conclusion - conclusion should be bringing your answer to the point of the question. It's fine to use the examples you have already explained to justify your conclusion

For section B, is it a good idea to include a graph. For example a aggregate demand/supply graph to show possible impacts of the recession (for example). I know its more economics, but would we gain any extra marks for doing so? Or is it just a waste of time?

My class and I were looking at this on Friday - if the graph (or diagram) helps you to explain your point then it is a good idea but I wouldn't put it in for the sake of it.
    tutor2u_graham: Dan: There could be questions around the enlargement of the EU rather than specific questions on EU businesses. Or the effects of the single market
    @businessAlevel: Abdihafid Sharif Abdihafid Sharif: ] Barclays, roal mail
    tutor2u: Organic growth - lots of examples here:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...rganic+growth/

Comment From elees7
    Could their weak set of core values be linked to their lack of corporate social responsibility?

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Luke Cawdery: Depends if you want to use the example or not I think. I often use it as a springboard for further arguments.

Comment From AlexBrunero
    can you gain analysis marks through the use of an example? Eg, X can lead to Y. At Google, X led to Y which led to Z etc...Instead of making a point like you normally would and then use an example, so to kill two birds with one stone if the example is specific but relevant?
    20:45

Comment From NDavis95
    George Mason: John Lewis is an example of organic growth.
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From NDavis95
    When should you use Porter's five forces? or can it cover a broad scope

I encourage my students to use it (amongst others) when analysing a business they are researching. See my post - as Jen said - use it when it's relevant when answering a question. Using for research helps with the depth or the" Why and Which shows"

I'll post it in a sec

does CSR really have a big affect on performance? as primark's unethical trade doesnt hinder their performance?
    @businessAlevel: Adam_Longland Adam_Longland: ]most efficient way is to make sure your examples can be used for section A & B
    tutor2u 10 for 2103 have been picked for that reason
    tutor2u_graham: EU issues:

There are a number of implications on UK businesses in relation to the EU. The enlargement of the EU has created a huge market for UK business to access, giving them access to increased revenue streams (if they can indeed access them)..however, it also increases competition for UK firms

when do i use McGregors theory of x and y
    20:46

How many marks out of 40 is around to get an A usually? I know it depends on grade boundaries

How do we include/use the theories? I was told that they boost your analysis marks but wasn't sure how to include them?

Comment From Arnob Ahmed
    Would I lose a significant amount of marks if I only referred to the case study in section B? Or would I still be able to reach top marks? I'm just worried that the businesses that I am researching will not be relevant
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: BUSS4 in 6 concepts/theories

Helps analyse the companies you are researching

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...-organisations
    Geoff Riley: Enlargement of the EU - Croatia joins the EU next month!

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    shoudl i write mini conclusions after each side of argument, my teacher says yes, or shall i just write an evaluative sentence for LINK after each paragraph i make?
    20:47

Comment From Justin Man
    @mikeyyyy_: how would you use the case study as a "springboard" for further arguments?

Comment From maish_rah
    does it matter if you use an example of a business but the point your writing about happened to them yrs ago
    adampjacob: Comment From vickwhitehouse
    How many marks out of 40 is around to get an A usually? I know it depends on grade boundaries

It can change from exam series to exam series but generally around 54 out of 80 will get you an A
    tutor2u: maish_rah : good examples can be from a long time ago - so long as they are used properly

Graphs, yay or nay? E.g. AD/AS diagram. More economics, but worth adding in if necessary??
    20:48
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From maish_rah
    does it matter if you use an example of a business but the point your writing about happened to them yrs ago

If they illustrate your point, use them
    tutor2u: Sophie Holman : I dont think you'll have time for those Sophie: not in a buss4 essay - not needed

Comment From kimjemima
    what marks do you get for referring to things happening atm? e.g. croatia joining the EU (thanks for that btw)
    LesleyC: Sophie Holman: only if it is relevant and it adds value to your argument, remember you do only have a certain amount of time

I did this paper in Jan and was hoping for an A. All my practice essays and homeworks were marked as an A. Yet I came out with an E. Any advice?

I am seeing people mention EU businesses quite a lot. Could there be a question that only requires use of EU businesses and if so could I use Tesco and Ikea as examples

How would you approach doing a mini evaluation at the end of each paragraph?
    tutor2u_graham: Luke: Defo

Comment From Justin Man
    @AlexBrunero: i've been doing that in some of my essays and my teacher says you run the risk of story telling if you do that
    20:49

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Justin Man: Jan 2011 B Q5. There was a question on whether to retirement of Richard Branson could lead to a decline in the performance of Virgin. I stated that he somewhat personified the band and pushed it forward, and then linked this with Apple after Steve Jobs.

Comment From min_chiii
    by compare and contrast, is it comparing two companies to illustrate a point in one paragraph.. or express them in two paragraphs for each company?? (with good quality answer of course)
    @businessAlevel: ginnie your teacher is right , depends on after each paragraph point

When talking about Enron in section A you can only really use it to support factors influencing and how to affects the business? Since it could not be changed and led to their collapse?

Comment From Aiden Mould
    Section A case study reference, twice in a paragraph or just twice in the essay?

Is there an examiner report/mark scheme for the jan 2013 paper?

Comment From aliceedunn
    does CSR always link with business ethics?
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From Luke Cawdery
    How would you approach doing a mini evaluation at the end of each paragraph?
    Refer back to the question and answer it with reference to the point you've made in that paragraph
    20:50
    tutor2u: aliceedunn : the two are very closely linked, but they are two separate topics
    adampjacob:
    Comment From Arnob Ahmed
    Would I lose a significant amount of marks if I only referred to the case study in section B? Or would I still be able to reach top marks? I'm just worried that the businesses that I am researching will not be relevant

It is fine to only refer to the case study in Section B. However, there won't be a huge amount to go on in the question. Look at past papers. Most of the time you will be able to use your research businesses for most questions.

I didn't sit the Jan exam. What section B topics appeared? do you know what questions they asked?
    tutor2u: Section B B Essay Questions So Far
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...estions-so-far

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Justin Man: Essentially, the case study can help you to exemplify arguments and link them together if nothing else.

tutor2u_graham: Great to see some students answering questions
    20:51
    tutor2u: Here are some practice essay questions to revise:

BUSS4 - 10 Section A Essay Questions on Organisational Culture to Practice
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...re-to-practice

BUSS4 - 10 Section B Essay Questions to Practice
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...ns-to-practice

Comment From maish_rah
    you know you said to make 3 strong points, but if 2 are for and 1 is aganist does it matter and does it make it unbalanced

Comment From NDavis95
    I know you said you wont mention it but last year you predicted some of the section B topics. Any predictions this year?

Comment From wedderss
    Luke: Id just do something like after my example and point, just link it to what the question asks, and be like however this point depends on... like a normal eval. e.g. you talked about google and their successful culture. you could then say however it could be the leader or managers at google than initiate this motivation in the workplace. Also how long can google last, with tech moving so quickly, is it to remain like this or could there be soon external competitors more powerful than Bing, or yahoo? Something like that
    20:52
    LesleyC: Sophie : Make sure that you use the PEEL structure Point, Example/evidence, eval and link. Don't go content heavy as it will not gain you the marks required. At the end of each sentence/paragraph read the question to make sure that you are answering it.
    tutor2u: I didnt predict - just gave my view on some core topics that I though were important!

Comment From kimjemima
    do we need to be using the correct terminology to gain maximum markets? e.g. autocratic leadership
    tutor2u_graham: I have a prediction. In Section B there will be 3 essays to choose from a wide range of topics from the BUSS4 specification..
    20:53
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Comment From Sophie Holman
    I did this paper in Jan and was hoping for an A. All my practice essays and homeworks were marked as an A. Yet I came out with an E. Any advice?

Did you ask for your paper back? This happened to one of my students a while back, got his paper back and he had basically gone off on a tangent and didn't answer the question! Could be other reasons also...

Comment From aliceedunn
    what is a company which has failed purely down to a weak culture?

Comment From NDavis95
    What core topics are important then do you believe?

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    distribution of marks? evaluation is highest?
    LesleyC: kimjemima: yes if you can, but if your mind goes blank - just go with the description

Comment From kimjemima
    even though starbucks have a strong culture does their tax avoidance make this a toxic culture?

Could you mention some core topics that you think are important
    tutor2u: I'll write a blog entry about core topics for Section B tomorrow

Comment From maish_rah
    i know this is for section b but how do i used the types of culture like role/task to help me in answering the qu

Comment From elees7
    is there examples of businesses which put corporate social responsibility ahead of profits?
    20:54

What is an example of a company that has failed because of culture, that didn't have anything to do with the leader?
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: tutor2u_graham:
    Great to see some students answering questions

you guys have created a learning culture
    adampjacob: tutor2u_graham lol! Great prediction. I think you might be right.

Comment From NDavis95
    KimJemima: doesn't make them toxic just potentially could lead to them being viewed as unethical.
    LesleyC: kimjemima : I would look at CSR and ethics rather than culture for tax avoidance

Comment From kimjemima
    can you link the blog enttry onto your twitter account plzz!!!

Comment From FaizanKauser1
    @Jessica Ramshaw - Nokia.

Comment From jheezykhan
    what type if info. would you recommend to us to have for our businesses?

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    elees7-ikea
    20:55

Failing firms due to weak cultures?
    tutor2u: Sophie Holman HMV, Woolworths...
    LesleyC: elees7 : watch Peter Jones meets - the first episode as he meets the CEO of Lush and it is an excellent example of CSR and profits

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Sophie Holman: Sony perhaps?

Comment From kimjemima
    i have based barclays and their tax avoidence as a main culture topic:/ also linking to LIBOR Aand PPI

Do we need to define the key parts of the question in the intro like previous modules or is there no point to that? Basically, does it gain marks?

any last tips for the exam ?

Comment From Meg Cleal
    Would it be important to remember specifics about the monetary and fiscal policy?

Comment From Justin Man
    Since there is not long until the exam, which is more important: revising topic areas inside out or exam technique?

Comment From Aala Rajput
    what points do you think are almost universal to any section A question? like what key terms shall we make sure to use
    20:56

Comment From AlexBrunero
    can you gain analysis marks through the use of an example? Eg, X can lead to Y. At Google, X led to Y which led to Z etc...Instead of making a point like you normally would and then use an example, so to kill two birds with one stone if the example is specific but relevant??
    tutor2u_graham: BUSS4 Top Tip: Plan your answer, answer the question and refer back to the question after each paragraph AND before your final evaluation

Comment From maish_rah
    having 3 strong points but only one as against and two as for does that lose you marks in the exam does it need to be equal amount of fors and againsts
    adampjacob: elees7 - The Cooperative? John Lewis Partnership?
    LesleyC: kimjemima : yes and that is why it is culture : because there are examples of financial gain/avoidance across the whole of the business, therefore culture

Comment From Justin Man
    @mikeyyyy_: but aren't you just using virgin as an example, and then comparing this to apple?

Comment From Justin Man
    What is the most important thing when practicing essay questions?

i wouldn't say ikea places that much importance on social resposibility..
    20:57

Comment From Jamiemoore_1995
    Could you give me two firms I could look at when I'm discussing culture and also them entering EU markets. Two British firms that is. Cheers.

Comment From mikeyyyy_
    Justin Man: And leading it on as well

Comment From Dan_Balsdon
    what topics appeared in January 2013? It doesn't say the years in the topic tracker
    @businessAlevel: good luck to all
    remember, PEEL, depends on, read the question, Answer the question , PLAN your answer, explain the how and whys and you cant go wrong!
    20:58

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    it does clinquant, with focus on environment,t and donations to charity
    tutor2u: Ok - we're almost done everyone!

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    in my opinion anyway

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    thanks

Comment From Ginnie Ling

Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness:
    Comment From elees7
    is there examples of businesses which put corporate social responsibility ahead of profits?

Look at the main stakeholders of organizations - this will tell you where the more socially responsible stakeholders come:

Eg: John Lewis put their Partners as their main stakeholder, their main purpose - so profit is not necessarily the most important thing

Doesn't mean they don't want to make a profit - just not at any cost

Jamie moore, Tesco is a good example not sure on another

Comment From kimjemima
    thankssssss
    adampjacob: Justin Man - I am afraid you need to do both. I suggest looking at past paper questions and thinking about how you would answer that question - this will help you to think about the topics and the exam technique

Comment From Justin Man
    Ok, thanks a lot mikeyyyy_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA#Criticisms, has been known to offend people, maybe that could be used as eval
    LesleyC: Final tips : plan each essay, use the time in the exam to pick the essays that you feel more confident with, remember PEEL and keep referring back to the question constantly. Good luck everyone

Comment From elees7
    THANKS SO MUCH I FEEL SO MUCH MORE CONFIDENT!
    20:59

Comment From spen_g94
    thanks for all your help!
    tutor2u_graham: Great session everyone: Good luck

thankyou so much everyone

Comment From maish_rah
    thanks!

Cheers Tutor2U
    adampjacob: alexBrunero - that sounds like an excellent idea. Definitely would be good technique imho

Comment From Ugur Altan
    well done guys

Comment From _MattGuy_
    thanks

Have a nice one lads
    21:00
    Simon Mansell @SOT6FBusiness: Good luck everyone:

PEEL
    Answer the question
    Depends on
    most Important

Thanks you Jim Riley for allowing this to happen

thanks!!

Cheers Rascal

Comment From NDavis95
    Good luck team

Comment From Ginnie Ling
    lets all smash the exam

Thanks everyone!

Thank you, this was useful

Comment From Aiden Mould
    Thanks guys!!
    21:01
    tutor2u: Signing off now - see everyone on #buss4 on Twitter!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.