The Student Room Group

GCSE Vectors. Urgent help needed!

Okay. So I have discovered that vectors and I aren't the best of friends. I've attached the following image and the question not included in this said image is as follows:

"Find QB in terms of c"

Now, I think I can find QB in terms of a, b and c (2a+2b-c) but how would I find QB in terms of just c? Any help would be wonderful, I have an exam tomorrow :frown:

image.jpg
Reply 1
If you've found the vector of AM, then for QM just halve that vector, since Q is half way along AM.

You also know MB, now just add them together.
Reply 2
Original post by 0x2a
If you've found the vector of AM, then for QM just halve that vector, since Q is half way along AM.

You also know MB, now just add them together.

Alright, so that would be 1/2(3a+b)+b, am I correct? But it's still not in terms of just c? Sorry to be a pain! :sad:
Reply 3
Original post by laylarose
Alright, so that would be 1/2(3a+b)+b, am I correct? But it's still not in terms of just c? Sorry to be a pain! :sad:

Oh wait sorry about that I should have thought about this more carefully. My fault :colondollar:

First of all QM is -1/2*(b) + 3/2(a) + b, since you have to go from Q, to the mid-point of AC, then down to C, then to M to make QM.

That simplifies to 3a2+b2 \frac {3a}{2} + \frac{b}{2}

If you look carefully you can also see that c = 1/2(a) + 1/2(b).

Now back to MB, that's just b, as M is the mid-point of CB. Add that to QM.

You should have a value that is easy to get by manipulating c in some way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 0x2a
Oh wait sorry about that I should have thought about this more carefully. My fault :colondollar:

First of all QM is -1/2*(b) + 3/2(a) + b, since you have to go from Q, to the mid-point of AC, then down to C, then to M to make QM.

That simplifies to 3a2+b2 \frac {3a}{2} + \frac{b}{2}

If you look carefully you can also see that c = 1/2(a) + 1/2(b).

Now back to MB, that's just b, as M is the mid-point of CB. Add that to QM.

You should have a value that is easy to get by manipulating c in some way.

Hm, okay, I think I understand now :biggrin: Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest