The Student Room Group

Clearing?

So I applied for the wrong course for me this year and I now know I want to apply for a history degree. My problem is I dont know if i should take a gap year and reapply with better grades (ive emailed universities and theyve all said that it is fine if i take my a levels over 3 years) or settle for a uni in clearing for history.
A) see how you do in your A levels
B) see what is available in Clearing
C) if there is somewhere available that you like the look of that will accept you then go there
D) if not then retake and reapply next year
One VERY important thing to remember about Clearing is this :

Not all courses go into Clearing. In fact, many 'top' Universities dont go into Clearing for ANY courses.

This means that you will not be able to apply for all possible options in Clearing. Clearing is not a '2nd chance to apply for everything' - its like the January sales, with what's on offer often only the courses that no-one else wants (with good reason) at some pretty crummy Unis, and that you wont get a chance to see before you accept a place.

Dont compromise. My advice would be to cancel your application for this year, retake/reapply to courses you really want to do and at a Uni you can go and see before making this decision. A gap year also gives you some breathing space after A levels and a chance to earn some money/have some fun.

The advice above is sensible - you dont have to make a decision about this until Results Day. Use the time now to think long and hard about what you really want to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
One VERY important thing to remember about Clearing is this :

Not all courses go into Clearing. In fact, many 'top' Universities dont go into Clearing for ANY courses.

This means that you will not be able to apply for all possible options in Clearing. Clearing is not a '2nd chance to apply for everything' - its like the January sales, with what's on offer often only the courses that no-one else wants (with good reason) at some pretty crummy Unis, and that you wont get a chance to see before you accept a place.

Dont compromise. My advice would be to cancel your application for this year, retake/reapply to courses you really want to do and at a Uni you can go and see before making this decision. A gap year also gives you some breathing space after A levels and a chance to earn some money/have some fun.

The advice above is sensible - you dont have to make a decision about this until Results Day. Use the time now to think long and hard about what you really want to do.

Only a handful don't go into clearing. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial,UCL and LSE.

Last few years Warwick has been in Clearing, along with other top 20 universities.
Original post by Wired_In
Only a handful don't go into clearing. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial,UCL and LSE.

And Bristol and several others. And not all courses go into Clearing from the Unis that do. What ever way you look at it - it isnt 'every option'. You are narrowing the field by applying through Clearing.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
And Bristol and several others. And not all courses go into Clearing from the Unis that do. What ever way you look at it - it isnt 'every option'. You are narrowing the field by applying through Clearing.

True, but 40,000 students go into clearing every year. A lot of them get there course.

Bristol was in clearing last year. Warwick and Bristol both say we don't go into clearing, however on results day they need to fill up places.
Bristol fills places via Adjustment - those who over achieve their offers from 'lower' Universities.

It does not use Clearing. It didnt last year. It wont this year.
Last year I monitored which 'decent' (just my rough impression, it wasn't scientific) universities were in clearing for History. I found the following, though some were only there briefly and there might have been others I didn't notice:

Essex, Leicester, Goldsmiths, Queen Mary, Newcastle, Lancaster, Liverpool, Kent, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Sussex, Birmingham, Keele, Hull, Leeds and Sheffield.
Im sure Southampton / Newcastle will be in clearing for history this year, they gave me informal offers via email up until the 30th of june.

So If your getting grades AAA-AAB-ABB then you could hedge your bets on clearing this year for history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending