Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    1lb per day is like starving on a desert island type weight loss from dieting.

I'm not a dietitian or doctor, but I think that's crazy and dangerous.

I'd hazard that it would be much smarter to drink loads (of water) and do loads of sport/exercise every day (gradually of course).

You might not lose that much weight, but you'd look different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannonjade)
    Losing 2 stone in a month is absolutely unhealthy and a terrible idea. Not only will you most likely not achieve it, even IF you do, you'll gain A LOT of the weight back very quickly once you start eating normally again. (And don't tell me you'll be on some ****ty diet for the rest of your life.)

It's much better to change to a more active lifestyle and to lose weight more slowly, but at the same time more effectively.

ReputationRep:
    That's a dangerous way to lose weight, pretty close to just starving yourself which will just damage your body in the long run. You're better off making smaller and gradual changes to your lifestyle

ReputationRep:
    Not do THAT diet lol.

lose 2lbs a week tops otherwise it is just pain unhealthy. If you go on that 'Crash diet' you are just likely to gain the weight back due to a metabolic collapse.

It doesn't matter what you have been told all diets that are sold to you, reduce your calorie intake. If you can see behind all the advertisement BS you will just eat on a caloric defect of -500 the slowly go back up to maintenance. Yes calorie counting may be tedious but it works.

In fact I made the mistake of cutting at -800 once. I changed to -400 and the weight soon came off. Don't make the error of crashing fat oxidization by going into starvation mode as it takes a lot of time for your metabolism to go back to normal and 9/10 you will end up gaining weight. This is why most dieter fail.

ReputationRep:
    Dedicate 1 hour of your day to exercise, dont eat sugary or processed foods, lots of vegetables and fruit. Drink lots of water.

That way you lose weight at a healthy pace, plus you look healthier and you can keep it up your whole life. On a stupid diet you just lose weight, look horrible and gain it all back when you stop. Pleeease just use common sense, or read a biology text book.

(Original post by shannonjade)
    I'm extremely unhappy with my weight. I wouldn't say I'm completely overweight, but I just don't like my stomach, thighs, or arms. I want to lose about 2 stone before I start my new school in about a month. I've googled loads of different ways of how to lose weight and I saw this one called the 'cardiac diet'. It's telling me to have stuff like a slice of dry toast for lunch, and 1/2 a cup of tuna for tea, and to follow that for a few weeks. If I do this it says that in a week I could lose 8/10lbs. Which I think is pretty good. But, I read someone's response who also tried this diet, and she said that she became seriously ill by doing this. She said her blood sugars were extremely low and she ended up in hospital. I'm really worried that something like this will happen to me, and that it might affect me in the long run. What should I do?
    ive been trying to lose some weight too during summer but i didnt want to do something too drastic so instead ive been exercising for 40 mins a day and doing a workout daily too. i have also been eating healthier. you should try the same and you may see some results. also try using - 'my fitness pal' some people i know have used this app and they say it works well. if you want to improve your fitness you could also use the c25k app.

ReputationRep:
    Drastic weight loss is usually unhealthy and very difficult to achieve. Also, usually if you lose weight very quickly, you put it back on quickly. In my experience, quick weight loss diets are almost impossible to maintain because they can be far too restrictive. Try not to be too hard on yourself, giving yourself a very difficult target of weight loss will mean that you may end up feeling bad if you aren't able to achieve your goal.

Try to consider sensible amounts of weight loss, which will last. 1-2 lbs per week is usually recommended. As a guide, one pound of weight is equal to 3,500 calories - therefore in order to lose one pound you must create a calorie deficit of 3,500. To find out specifically how many calories your body burns, you would need to have your BMR calculated (basal metabolic rate) - this will tell you the amount of calories your body needs to function.

However, if you aim to create a calorie deficit of 500 per day, you will lose around 1lb per week - this can be done through exercise or by reducing your calorie intake. I would recommend exercise to do this along with healthier eating. Bear in mind, if you are exercising, you will need to maintain steady energy levels. Try to avoid restricting calorie intake significantly, as this can be damaging, never fall below 1,500 calories. Please avoid the diets you have been reading about, they can be very dangerous. Before you start any diet, speak to your doctor, each persons health needs can vary, depending on age, sex, weight - they will be able to offer you advice and will probably check your BMI etc. Good luck xxx

I was the samr as you. I looked at diets and looked at what people said about them and went on over the summer. I went down from being 14 stone to being down to only being 6. I looked horrible and I ended up going to hospital because of it. I ended up the way I was being I believed what people said about diets and after a while I just wanted to be smaller and smaller and would change diets and take slimming pills to look the way i wanted. I realised at the end of it all its not worth it. Yes you'll look great but what chances have you took with you life to look that way.... im now back to being 14 stone and proud of it and now say that if people don't like the way I look then thats problem because Its better to look slightly bigger than girls you'd see in magazines and on tv and even sone of your friends than looking unhealthy and being unhappy because of it. You should be proud of how you look so dont change who you are.

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight that quickly, as the other posters have said, is really unhealthy, as is the diet you're considering, which is basically starving yourself. I lost a stone over a few months by just clean eating and exercise.
    Just switch things like crisps and chocolate for fruit, cereal bars etc. have healthy meals, and try to make sure a third of your plate is made up of veg, then have the rest as lean meat and carbs like rice, pasta, jacket potatoes etc. This said, you can still have things like chocolate or the occasional McDonald's- everything in moderation. Drink water instead of juice or fizzy drinks. And make sure you eat regularly to keep your metabolism going- don't starve yourself!
    As for exercise, hit the gym and do some cardio and a bit of weight training and body conditioning (for toning, and it also helps speed weight loss). Even if you can't get to a gym, there's plenty of home workouts you can do.
    Aim to lose around 1-2lbs a week, and don't be surprised if you lose a lot of weight at first, but then your weight loss rate slows down.
    Good luck with your weight loss!

ReputationRep:
    That's a sure way to develop disordered eating habits, which could lead to a full blown eating disorder and they're horrible and hard to recover from.
    Join weight watchers, learn to eat healthily, losing weight at a healthy pace will help you learn to love your body. Is most likely not being overweight that upsets you, it's confidence and losing weight especially in such a dangerous will not bring that, it's something you have to work on.
    You can never just do a starvation diet and then go back to eating normally or having a normal relationship with food after, it just doesn't work like that. Please I beg, don't mess with things like this, you will spiral out of control very quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL if you do that your skin will be so loose and you'd have to have surgery to correct it. Lose it slowly and deliberately, and you'll look good and your skin would be the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2013
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.