The Student Room Group

Anyone worked for Orridge (stock taking company)

As title, anyone heard about someone or worked for Orridge, It is a zero hour contract but do you get a decent level of hours per week in or is it just a waste of time? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No companies (or very few) will do stock taking over Christmas, so you'll probably get no work over November and December and maybe January. You have to be very fast and very accurate, so it's not the kind of work that everyone will be good at - you don't want to be dropping things or miscounting or missing stuff completely. It's also early morning work - in my last job, the stock takes started at 6, so you'd need to be at the shop for about 10 to and it can be a longish drive away from where you live.
Reply 2
I work for a rival company, OCS Retail Support, that is exactly the same job. Like you said it is a zero hours contract. They send you, by email, available shifts and you choose which ones you want.

You make your own way to customer sites and there is usually at least a couple per week that will be close by. At my company, the first 70 miles round trip is not covered as expenses, and the mileage rate after that is diabolical. Parking is not paid for, so you have to find free parking usually quite a distance from the customer site. This means you have to walk back to your car late at night/early in the morning, often in rough areas or pay for parking for the duration of your shift, which is 1-2 hours wages gone.

The work is boring, repetitive, unvaried but it is easy, although it can be quite fidgety. Shifts are usually between 6-10 hours and at terrible hours.

It is an odd job to do, but it is extremely flexible and you can make a decent supplementary income from it.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
No companies (or very few) will do stock taking over Christmas, so you'll probably get no work over November and December and maybe January. You have to be very fast and very accurate, so it's not the kind of work that everyone will be good at - you don't want to be dropping things or miscounting or missing stuff completely. It's also early morning work - in my last job, the stock takes started at 6, so you'd need to be at the shop for about 10 to and it can be a longish drive away from where you live.

Anybody worked for ocs and know how often they have shifts available around Feb??
I have worked for orridge. I think you should give it a try. they pay you a minimum wage per hour but u easily get enough work to live on and work is actually just a piece of cake. Nothing much to do except for tolerating long hours at times and they even pay you for travel. It is no doubt a boring job but it pays you well enough for the work you do. you should deffo go for it.
Reply 5
Does anyone know if the orridge interview is a group interview?
Reply 6
Its a group interveiw, atleast where i did mine it was
Reply 7
what is the assesment test like i have an interview on 20th i am quite nervouse as i hate tests ?
They give you a maths test I which is simple and then they take you to the back of the store and give you the scanners and you have to scan a minimum amount in a space of time to pass. That's how mine went.
Reply 9
What is the maths test like give examples please
Reply 10
What is Pi to the 50th decimal place ?
Hi guys got a interview for orridge and ocs what company is best ? Also do the company's pay for bus/train tickets also when staying in hotels do you have a room to yours ?
Reply 12
I was invited on an interview at Ford Social & Sports Club, at 9:30AM on 26th January 2015 for the role of Casual Stocktaker. Everything went quite well. At that time I was more than 100% sure to get this job but so far I haven't heard anything from them. I am just wondering whether anyone else also waiting for their call? Thanks
Reply 13
Hi, Could anyone please tell me how to claim travel expenses in Orridge? I searched Orridge portal but couldnt found any public transport expenses form. These is only personal car expenses form available which isnt for someone who used public transport. Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by baggsy87
As title, anyone heard about someone or worked for Orridge, It is a zero hour contract but do you get a decent level of hours per week in or is it just a waste of time? thanks

aye I used to work for them for 6 years was a counter then worked up to be supervisor and ran stocktakes as for a counter to start with u would get 3 to 4 shifts a week and they assess you on your ability and how u pick it all up if proven good you will get more work it is ok if you are at college and need extra cash but bear in mind they slow down around easter and dec time ites not for everyone but if you have speed and good at maths then go for it easy job straight forward and if you like it u can make a carear out of it for life.
Reply 15
Original post by Zeee15
I was invited on an interview at Ford Social & Sports Club, at 9:30AM on 26th January 2015 for the role of Casual Stocktaker. Everything went quite well. At that time I was more than 100% sure to get this job but so far I haven't heard anything from them. I am just wondering whether anyone else also waiting for their call? Thanks

hi if you haven't heard from them give them a call at Aldridge office they should put you in touch with the recruitment officer or tell you if you were successful sometimes if you haven't heard from them for a while say a month then probably you were unsucessfull depends how you did in the test as well and you provided all copies of everything I used to work for them for 6 years so I know how they work
Reply 16
Original post by Zeee15
Hi, Could anyone please tell me how to claim travel expenses in Orridge? I searched Orridge portal but couldnt found any public transport expenses form. These is only personal car expenses form available which isnt for someone who used public transport. Thanks

#

I think if I am correct you send in yr receipts from the bus or train or taxi there should be a form in there for expenses if not ring them up as a general enquiry.
Reply 17
Worked with orridge for 8year worst company out the longer you work for them the less shifts you get would not touch them with a barge pole
Reply 18
Let me tell you , I have been on their books for nearly two months and haven't received a single days work . It is a complete waste of time and an individuals ability . I'd forget about it if i was you .
Reply 19
Has anybody worked for Orridge and done pharmacy training know how much you get an hour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending