This discussion is closed.
tomj45
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have just spent the weekend with some friends discussing the upcoming position of head boy at our 6th form. My best friend has said he will apply and we as a group of friends will all help me make the campaign video etc that our sixth form has asked to make for all the students so they can make their choice on who to vote. I originally agreed to make the video for him however my head of sixth has encouraged my Mum to tell me to apply as a gold star on a CV. I'm half-hearted about it as I'm not sure I'm prepared to face the heavy ribbing from my social circle as I become labelled a "traitor".

Do you think it is worth "betraying" my friend for the sake of a position which is essentially pointless?
User995789
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomj45)
I have just spent the weekend with some friends discussing the upcoming position of head boy at our 6th form. My best friend has said he will apply and we as a group of friends will all help me make the campaign video etc that our sixth form has asked to make for all the students so they can make their choice on who to vote. I originally agreed to make the video for him however my head of sixth has encouraged my Mum to tell me to apply as a gold star on a CV. I'm half-hearted about it as I'm not sure I'm prepared to face the heavy ribbing from my social circle as I become labelled a "traitor".

Do you think it is worth "betraying" my friend for the sake of a position which is essentially pointless?
Ask your friends if you should do it, if they say no, and you get it they might hate you, but its only for 1 year and when you get into university above them, you'll meet new people.

But i'm not so sure, as you can still get into uni without being headboy or prefect etc.
tomj45
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blueray2)
Ask your friends if you should do it, if they say no, and you get it they might hate you, but its only for 1 year and when you get into university above them, you'll meet new people.

But i'm not so sure, as you can still get into uni without being headboy or prefect etc.
I spoke to my friend and he seemed alright with it (although I imagine I'll still get a ribbing from the rest of the group). I suppose you are right about getting in to university without it as many people do however my application seems a bit dry (I don't have a DofE certificate to my name or anything).

My main concern is that I am embarrassed to be in front of the camera, I guess it's just a case of manning up.
kaichung
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't really have anything worthy on my application either, not even a part-time job to mention or anything, still got my offers; that was for unis like Exeter. So unless you're applying to go to a top uni it doesn't really matter.
Barden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bear in mind that the duties of being head boy will eat in to your study and free time, making it more difficult to achieve the grades you need...
User995789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Barden)
Bear in mind that the duties of being head boy will eat in to your study and free time, making it more difficult to achieve the grades you need...
This you have to go to so many pointless events and give speeches etc.
Kutta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well if they are going to label you a traitor and stop speaking to you just because you are going run for Head Boy, I doubt they are proper friends. Just tell them you fancy your chances and want to have a go. I know if i were in your position i would go for it and i am sure my mates would support me.
User995789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
Well if they are going to label you a traitor and stop speaking to you just because you are going run for Head Boy, I doubt they are proper friends. Just tell them you fancy your chances and want to have a go. I know if i were in your position i would go for it and i am sure my mates would support me.
lol kutta your username is jokes.

And yeah fair point on the friends.
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Like already said, it probably won't affect your uni application that much, but surely something good to have on your CV for the future, for instance, I imagine it'll give you good speaking/presenting experience and skills, which I imagine employers would like, so unless you think it'll seriously damage a friendship, you should go for it.
tomj45
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaichung)
I didn't really have anything worthy on my application either, not even a part-time job to mention or anything, still got my offers; that was for unis like Exeter. So unless you're applying to go to a top uni it doesn't really matter.
Yeah I will be applying for Oxford though so perhaps it is important..
User995789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I will be applying for Oxford though so perhaps it is important..
Yeah then do it
Sanchez
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go for it!
If they're your real mates then they'll understand why it's important that you go for the position, especially if you want to be an Oxbridge candidate.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It wont make one bit of difference to your University application.

You being elected (or not) as Head Boy or Chief Assistant to the Head Table Wiper doesnt actually tell an Admissions Tutor anything conclusive about your ability or enthusiasm for any particular academic subject - or even your 'leadership skills'.

You'd be far better off spending your time working for a decent set of A level grades - it'll make a far more difference to your UCAS application than prancing about in school uniform with a badge pinned to your left nipple.
Bulbasaur
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I really don't buy in to the whole 'head boy strengthens your uni application' *******s. At a Cambridge open day the admissions tutor pretty much said "we don't give a **** if you're head boy". So I hugely doubt Oxford will care.

So many people lie about it as well, it's unreal.....
Jonskiblob
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
go for it! I'm Head Boy
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed