The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
Same reason as taxi drivers. Driving to a strict timetable, spending your working day crammed in a car seat, is very stressful and tiring.

Also aren't a lot of them ex-cons and stuff like that?

in reply to your stupid comment no we are not. we are all crb checked that stands for criminal records bureau and are all police checked thought id give the correct title as you dont seem to have much brain power.
Reply 81
Original post by john l taylor
in reply to your stupid comment no we are not. we are all crb checked that stands for criminal records bureau and are all police checked thought id give the correct title as you dont seem to have much brain power.

Are you a bus driver?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyle~
Customer service isn't a big thing with bus companies. People will still use the bus whether or not they got a smile from the driver.

in reply customer service does have a big thing with bus companies we are constantly on various courses throughout each year but just to put things straight if a passenger is insulting to us drivers then we will give as good as we get at the end of the day why dont you just get on and off without the need for verbal i for 1 wont take any **** you think you can give us really dont know why you lot do it in the first place
Because the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all day long.
Original post by NWA
100% agree. But if you'd been driving the same route for 20+ years, at basic pay i doubt you'd be greeting everyone that comes on and off the bus. At the end of the day it's their job to drive the bus, nothing more.

can i suggest next time your on a bus and people are getting off listen to how many passengers ever say thank you
Reply 85
can i suggest next time your on a bus and people are getting off listen to how many passengers ever say thank you

Every single passenger up where I live says thank you without fail. I use the bus every day and I cannot remember the last time someone didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Maybe because they have to put up with f"""""g chavs and f"""""g weirdos and low lifes who get on heir bus all day. Why don't you just put up with it, no one asked you to be all pissy over a stupid bus driver, or would you rather walk?
Reply 87
I've mainly had nice bus drivers actually. Most of them say "Alright mate" or something to that effect in a jovial way when I get on.
In many professions, you pretty much have to be polite, even when you don't want to be, otherwise you'll lose your customers. You then end up not getting any tip/commission, your company loses profits and gets annoyed with you, and you end up worse off. Sales assistants, waiters, plumbers, gardeners...

I don't think this is so much the case with bus companies and bus drivers. They're not at your mercy, you're at theirs. You still need to get from one place to another. If the driver is rude to you, you're probably just going to get that same bus and live with it, so you can get home quickly. Or the worst that you'll do is get a different bus which is probably run by the same company anyway. They don't lose anything.
I really can't see the problem with bus drivers. They're remarkably calm and polite considering what they actually have to put up with on a daily basis. There's the assorted idiots, obnoxious customers, children constantly pressing the bell, people dropping food/drink all over the bus, people counting pennies out or spending ages fumbling for a ticket after they've spent the last five minutes standing there waiting for the bus to arrive, that one passenger who always has to talk to the driver instead of just getting on and sitting down, the self-important types moaning to the driver that the bus is late (I'm sure they're aware, and can't do much about it, and your whining is making the bus even later), people wanting the bus to be early for them even if it means missing other peoples' stops, people complaining about prices/services, people who don't know what a return ticket is, tourists using them as an information booth and so on. One person wants the bus to leave on time, while someone else wants it to wait for them to finish running towards it. Can't really win, can you? Add that to the constant stress of driving 20 tonnes of metal around in city traffic all day.

I'd go mad within about an hour of doing it myself. And to be honest, in 20 years of using buses I don't recall any particularly bad experiences that were caused by the driver and not me.
One didn't give me change for £5. Pratt.
Reply 91

up north, we all say thank you
Reply 92
Original post by beccagood95
I'm pretty sure that bus drivers aren't supposed to leave vulnerable and young people out alone if they don't have any other form of transport, even if they don't have the correct bus fare... They're supposed to take down your details so you can send the bus company the correct amount at a later date. That was mean of him.

what 5p. it'd cost more than that for the ink used in his pen to write their details down. At the end of the day it's 5p and if i was a bus driver I'd just pay the 5p for them

I don't expect a thank you or anything to be honest, I just expect a speedy service, that doesn't spend almost 15 minutes waiting for a change of driver (which often never turns up), in the middle of the route. So a car trip that takes 10 minutes ends up taking 30 minutes. (Although I do realize that this is Arriva's policy, and nothing to do with bus drivers - expect for the lazy morons that actually DON'T turn up to drive the bus.)

I used to chat with some of the drivers on my route. There was this bloke, who was nice to me, and he left me off closer to my house one evening, and not at the stop. But then fast forward a week, and when I was boarding his bus again, he rudely yelled at me to hurry up. I have also been yelled at for flagging down a bus at an ACTUAL bus stop - the driver asked me why I didn't run up to him and board when he stopped a few yards away to let people off in traffic.

Too many bad experiences.

To be honest, bus drivers aren't the only people living difficult or stressful jobs. Do you know the **** that police officers have to deal with on a daily basis? Well for a fact I DO, because I have close friends in law enforcement.

Yet they don't go around treating public like scum. Sorry, but most (not all), but MOST bus drivers are just rude, arrogant and miserable people who I have very little respect for.
It's not their role as a bus driver, it's their individuality and how they portray themselves in society. There are also some nice and rude bus drivers everywhere, it's most likely the stress of getting to the destination on time; shifts, lack of sleep, personal life, wanting to go home, hunger or tiredness. Which is understandable, but it's unnecessary for them to ruin somebody else's day as revenge and spitefulness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazarooni89
In many professions, you pretty much have to be polite, even when you don't want to be, otherwise you'll lose your customers. You then end up not getting any tip/commission, your company loses profits and gets annoyed with you, and you end up worse off. Sales assistants, waiters, plumbers, gardeners...

I don't think this is so much the case with bus companies and bus drivers. They're not at your mercy, you're at theirs. You still need to get from one place to another. If the driver is rude to you, you're probably just going to get that same bus and live with it, so you can get home quickly. Or the worst that you'll do is get a different bus which is probably run by the same company anyway. They don't lose anything.

I agree with all of this. It's all true.

I have to deal with patients of all kinds. Some can be very rude and abusive, but I don't exactly answer them back or act miserable all day as a result. Partly because I wish to provide the best possible service, partly because I know that if I did, I could get in a lot of trouble and make the trust I work for look bad.

Thank the lord for the NHS eh? Or we may all just end up like the miserable bus drivers providing a **** service because we know the patient doesn't have much other choice.
You'd probably be surprised at how much 'customer service' training bus drivers do get with many operators (though obviously this varies).
Reply 97
i use a child oyster so im free on the bus (im 14), but i'd lost it so i was using my mum's adult one i was 5p off the £2.40 fare iit takes an hour to get home from the station i was at the bus driver then shouted at me to get off until a woman got up out of her seat and said the bus driver was being an inconsiderate imbecile and it was totally unjust to make me get off the bus and walk home in the dark and the rain but still the bus driver only let me on when she said she was a lawyer and if anything happened to me on the way back home she'd use legal action against the guy.
Not in my area
Reply 99
I was on a bus recently where the driver called us all " a load of ****ers".....

I usually thank the driver when I get off the bus, not this time however.

Latest