Suspended due to depression, what about council tax now?

Watch
Higgs308
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I'm sorry if this seems in the wrong place but I posted in the money advice section too, but not getting much response. Plus this question of whether I will have to pay council tax as a suspended student is driving my anxiety crazy - I’ve hardly slept at all tonight.

So I've suspended studies until semester two next year due to depression and anxiety but I want to live in Southampton (where I’m at university) with other students until I resume studies so that I can make use of the mental health services in my area and at my uni. I also think being at uni will also help me to build self-esteem.

Since suspending for long periods for mental health seems quite common does anyone here have any experience with council tax while suspended? My University and Southampton council say I will have to pay council tax. But advice from almost every other university I've looked at says suspended students won't be liable. Can anyone clear this up for me? Can I be granted exemption because it’s for mental health?

Thanks,

Joe
bleh236
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I highly doubt you will be given exemption. Exemption is only used in mitigating circumstances e.g. something has happened beyond you're control e.g. loved one has died, you lost a limb, had to have emergency surgery and so on. I left Uni because of my mental health and was given no support what so ever. To them you left on you're own accord, I left knowing it i was highly unlikely I will return this coming September. It's the same principle of a job, if you resign or get sacked you're entitled to nothing.
Higgs308
Rep:
?
Thank you for replying. I have suspended, not withdrawn from my course. Due to health reasons - It was not my "choice" to leave, I had to leave for the sake off my wellbeing and for the quality of my degree as a whole. I am sorry to hear that your university did not offer you the support you needed. In the eyes of my university I will be "suspended with services" which means I will be able to use all of the services afforded to any full time student. I discussed the support measures my university would put in place for me while suspended and they were very keen for me stay in Southampton so I could use them. I am also receiving treatment for anxiety and depression from my GP and it is likely I will be using the local NHS psychotherapy service again as well.

I have worked to put all this into place but I fear that If I am liable for council tax I will not be able to afford to live in Southampton and this opportunity to address long term mental health problems will be snatched away from me. Staying at home isn't really an option as there is little to no support and it may not be financially suitable for my parents if I live with them.

Again i'm sorry you've had a rough deal with support from your uni, did you return to uni again?

Thanks
Spacecam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes they're right you do become eligible for council tax. If you get a letter then you should probably consider paying them.

But you could always just not tell the council, or ring them when the letter comes through and tell them you're a student at the University (which isn't a lie) and see what happens :ninja:
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
Have you thought whether you can get your GP to sign you off from working due to your health. Then as you sound to have taken a Leave of Abense on medical ground or medical supension you can claim ESA and if awarded you may be able to claim council tax rebate as well as housing benefit.
If not able to get signed off from work what about claiming JSA if look for work however doubt this will apply.
I at present am in a similar suitation and claim ESA due to being unable to work /study and I have mental and physical issues that caused me to be signed off work. I only get ESA IR as living at home with parents but would probably be able to claim housing benefit if need. My ESA is about £55 a week for first 14 weeks then has got to over £100 a week.
Just note that when you got to JobCentrePlus say you know as I am on medical leave from university you are able to claim JSA or ESA and ask to speak to a supervisor if you don't get anywhere with the first person you speak to.
Hope this helps
R
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
Have you thought whether you can get your GP to sign you off from working due to your health. Then as you sound to have taken a Leave of Abense on medical ground or medical supension you can claim ESA and if awarded you may be able to claim council tax rebate as well as housing benefit.
If not able to get signed off from work what about claiming JSA if look for work however doubt this will apply.
I at present am in a similar suitation and claim ESA due to being unable to work /study and I have mental and physical issues that caused me to be signed off work. I only get ESA IR as living at home with parents but would probably be able to claim housing benefit if need. My ESA is about £55 a week for first 14 weeks then has got to over £100 a week.
Just note that when you got to JobCentrePlus say you know as I am on medical leave from university you are able to claim JSA or ESA and ask to speak to a supervisor if you don't get anywhere with the first person you speak to.
Hope this helps
R
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hope this helps
R
He might still be classed as a student; as he's only suspended his studies. Therefore, may not get benefits.
Higgs308
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. I would need to work in order to pay for my accommodation and living expenses as I would not get a loan until I resumed in semester 2 and I would receive little financial support from my parents. I'm happy to work a certain amount to pay to live in Southampton, however I feel if I have to pay council tax at least £120 a month on top of everything it may undermine my attempts to address my mental health issues because I will be working much more and be worrying about money more. That is if I manage to fund myself to live there in the first place.

I may be able to claim council tax benefit and housing benefit as a suspended student for medical reasons, however that depends on a few other things too.

Thanks
username861942
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Higgs308)
Hi

I'm sorry if this seems in the wrong place but I posted in the money advice section too, but not getting much response. Plus this question of whether I will have to pay council tax as a suspended student is driving my anxiety crazy - I’ve hardly slept at all tonight.

So I've suspended studies until semester two next year due to depression and anxiety but I want to live in Southampton (where I’m at university) with other students until I resume studies so that I can make use of the mental health services in my area and at my uni. I also think being at uni will also help me to build self-esteem.

Since suspending for long periods for mental health seems quite common does anyone here have any experience with council tax while suspended? My University and Southampton council say I will have to pay council tax. But advice from almost every other university I've looked at says suspended students won't be liable. Can anyone clear this up for me? Can I be granted exemption because it’s for mental health?

Thanks,

Joe
I took a suspension of studies recently, and my university still classed me as a student, so I didn't have to pay council tax. You may be able to claim benefits for council tax and housing benefit, if you get DLA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wibble199p
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't see the point of suspending studies. What will you do instead of Uni? Watch Jeremy Kyle all day? Mental Health Services might put you on a list for CBT but the waiting list is up to three years in some places. I really think it's best for you to stick at this as future employers will always question this gap in your education
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (677)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads