The Student Room Group

Personal Statment Advice

So today our head teacher told us that our personnel statements for applying in to uni in 2014 had to be submitted to them by the start of august (first draft) where they would read it and asses it. I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers as to how to create a good personal statement? (Undergraduate Studies)
Reply 1
TSR has some great articles on this, but basically:

- Be concise, don't ramble.
- Don't try to sound cleverer by using too many big words.
- Demonstrate why they give you an offer - what skills do you?
- Demonstrate your passion for the course - why have you picked it? Why does it interest you? Mention wider reading and relevant experience.
- When mentioning extra curriculars, don't just list them - show what you've gained from them.
- Proof read and make sure grammar/ spelling are correct.

A last note: inevitably, your first draft will suck. And it's inevitable when you reread your finished and come back to it a year down the line, you'll realise what utter nonsense you were writing and that you sound like an idiot. :tongue:
Reply 2
1. Defo do it over summer- I had it basically all done by Sept so was tweaking it and keeping up with school work whereas my friends were stressing like mad. It can take up to over 20 drafts :/ I like I got to like 17 :tongue: my friend had 6 and another had almost 30
2.Plan first
3. keep it concise (hard if you're a waffly/talkative person) -playing around with words alot and explain what you learnt from your experiences
4. get critical feedback-one friend (shes at Uni) sent me 1 whole A4 page of feedback (almost same length as my PS :tongue:)
5. lastly, keep it original and personal :smile: my teacher kept changing bits which i didnt like/didnt sound like me. my course interviews so i knew I have to be comfortable with what I write. Plus several people from my school had the same quote 'im an enthusiastic scientist' as she added it but i didnt want it

good luck
Reply 3
Also, get it checked a subject teacher related to the course you want to do.
Reply 4
Thanks guys, It's Engineering that I want to do if that helps at all.
Don't use any material which has been posted in a public forum. The UCAS plagiarism software is real and good. You can post with safety in the PS forum here, but don't post any of your ps anywhere else.
Reply 6
Original post by LionKing1
Thanks guys, It's Engineering that I want to do if that helps at all.

Have you had a look at TSR's Personal Statement Library?

There's loads of advice on there that may help you get started. There are also loads of example engineering personal statements.

If you want someone to look over a draft of your personal statement TSR has a personal statement help service. It is a private forum where you can post your draft and get help. Just don't post parts of your personal statement elsewhere or the UCAS plagiarism software may pick up on it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
okay got it thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending