The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whoever told you that is a ****tard. I'm doing politics and international studies at warwick. I know ill have a top job. It's not a worthless degree, but it does depend on the uni you go to.
Reply 2
I am doing a Politics degree atm, don't listen to the critics. The degree opens up many doors.

EDIT: I am not at a Russell Group uni but go to one which gained uni status in the early 60s and aspires to be a Russell Group uni
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah as above, if you study it at a decent uni then it's a good degree to have.

If you are thinking of doing it at the New University of Suburbia, then don't.
Reply 4
thank you for your comments,
yeah i guess it does depend on the uni, i just got unsure when i read there's a "limited" amount of jobs available for those who have studied the subject, :s-smilie:. I'll just have to ignore the criticism, :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by rubyrubyruby
thank you for your comments,
yeah i guess it does depend on the uni, i just got unsure when i read there's a "limited" amount of jobs available for those who have studied the subject, :s-smilie:. I'll just have to ignore the criticism, :redface:

Out of interest wht uni are you going to
Reply 6
University of Westminster? :/
Reply 7

I wouldn't if you can help it.

They are 62nd for politics in the complete university guide and 53rd in the guardian. Not great.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Politics

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-politics

Any chance you think you could get in somewhere better?
Reply 8

What grades do they want!
Reply 9
Original post by IbrahimKingx
What grades do they want!

BBC,
Reply 10
Its between Queen Mary and University of Westminster for me? :frown:
Reply 11

Queen Mary by a million miles I'd say!
Reply 12
QMUL are asking for ABB for politics so if you think you can get that you will be able to get into better places than Westminster.

Queen Mary is a much better uni overall (in terms of student experience as much as the course) however do make sure you would be happy there- look at the details and everything.

I've not seen any comments about an IR/Politics degree being worthless. Despite the name like History, English Lit e.c.t it doesn't necessarily prepare you for a particular vocation but gives you transferable skills that can be used in a wide range of jobs. Obviously there are some Politics related jobs out there though but you don't have to go for them and Politics & IR students often choose things like Law conversion or finance after their degree.
Ultimately, all jobs are competitive at the moment, but Politics and IR is a good degree, and is certainly not worthless.

If you have a choice between QM and Westminster, I would go with QM as it has a much better reputation. But always worth checking that the course description suits your interests.
Reply 15
I firmed Queen Mary for International Relations and I'm sure, based on its ranking in politics, that it's a great choice :biggrin:
Reply 16
Well I studied Politics in SOAS which required AAA, I'll probably either go to New York in the UN or consultancy in a developmental bank
I studied IR at Birmingham university, got a first class degree, and have just got my dream job as a trainee solicitor. IR is definitely not a worthless degree. It does matter which university you go to, so try and get the best grades you can and go to the best uni you can for the course.

Any questions about the course, please just ask :smile:
Original post by HannerBanner
I studied IR at Birmingham university, got a first class degree, and have just got my dream job as a trainee solicitor. IR is definitely not a worthless degree. It does matter which university you go to, so try and get the best grades you can and go to the best uni you can for the course.

Any questions about the course, please just ask :smile:

Congratulations! What would you consider the best postgraduate options for International Relations graduates? I already know that I want my Master's, I'm just not sure in which subject.
Reply 19
I applied for politics at uni of Nottingham but got an alternative offer to study politics and American studies.. ive been thinking recently that I shouldn't study politics on its own and that politics and IR would be a good thing to change to..

Anyone know anything about American studies? Sounds like a pretty pointless degree to me? But I've always loved American politics

Posted from TSR Mobile