The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baconwrappedeggs
Congratulations! What would you consider the best postgraduate options for International Relations graduates? I already know that I want my Master's, I'm just not sure in which subject.

Thank you very much :smile:

Friends who graduated with me in the summer have gone on to master's programmes in a mixture of disciplines (management, international security, international relations, security, etc), others have gone onto grad schemes with the FCO, UN, EU etc.

To choose MA's, I would go for a programme that's most similar to your favourite modules at university. I would have gone for an MA in international security, but I'm doing the GDL instead.

Good luck to you!
Original post by Tos95
I applied for politics at uni of Nottingham but got an alternative offer to study politics and American studies.. ive been thinking recently that I shouldn't study politics on its own and that politics and IR would be a good thing to change to..

Anyone know anything about American studies? Sounds like a pretty pointless degree to me? But I've always loved American politics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I did a US Foreign Policy module in final year and a US Politics module in 2nd year of my IR course. Most good IR / politics departments will offer US politics modules in their departments, so you should be able to study US politics under a politics or an IR degree, rather than having to do it with American studies.

Nottingham was one of my options and I absolutely loved it - the politics and IR department seemed really switched on!

Any questions - just ask...
Reply 22
This link below will show you the universities offering this degree and some vital statistics.
Just click on one of the universities and then the option "Employment and accreditation" and it should help you decide if it is a useful degree or not.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchresults/

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Tasha 11
This link below will show you the universities offering this degree and some vital statistics.
Just click on one of the universities and then the option "Employment and accreditation" and it should help you decide if it is a useful degree or not.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchresults/

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot! what are you doing with your degree now?
Original post by HannerBanner
Hi there,

I did a US Foreign Policy module in final year and a US Politics module in 2nd year of my IR course. Most good IR / politics departments will offer US politics modules in their departments, so you should be able to study US politics under a politics or an IR degree, rather than having to do it with American studies.

Nottingham was one of my options and I absolutely loved it - the politics and IR department seemed really switched on!

Any questions - just ask...

if you have a look though the OP has been offered a Politics and American Studies degree instead of straight Politics so they haven't got so much of a choice in the matter
Original post by Tos95
I applied for politics at uni of Nottingham but got an alternative offer to study politics and American studies.. ive been thinking recently that I shouldn't study politics on its own and that politics and IR would be a good thing to change to..

Anyone know anything about American studies? Sounds like a pretty pointless degree to me? But I've always loved American politics

Posted from TSR Mobile

American studies isn't totally pointless, especially considering the might of America but if you aren't 100% interested in American culture, poltics and literature (with emphasis on the and as you study all 3) then its not a good option. Obviously as it would be with Politics you'd do less of the American Studies but you'd probs still do say one of each.

Nottingham doesn't actually offer Politics & IR so you'd have to switch uni choices (if thats possible now) or see if they'd let you into the IR programme, but when I last looked they wanted AAA as opposed to AAB for straight Politics.
Reply 26
Good point.. i just don't know what it will offer me in the future you know, what people with degrees in American studies end up doing? A lot of people have said it's really just an "interest" subject which is of no use to employers :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tos95
Good point.. i just don't know what it will offer me in the future you know, what people with degrees in American studies end up doing? A lot of people have said it's really just an "interest" subject which is of no use to employers :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the same with many humanities degrees including Politics and IR. None lead directly to a specific career path which in many ways is the beauty of it as you can change your mind about what you want to do after uni as you go along without having wasted any years studying towards something you aren't going to do. And aside from jobs in science & engineering most jobs are open to you, most of which won't require your degree knowledge but more the skills you've gained and knowledge from work experience placements/or any jobs whilst a student
Original post by jelly1000
That's the same with many humanities degrees including Politics and IR. None lead directly to a specific career path which in many ways is the beauty of it as you can change your mind about what you want to do after uni as you go along without having wasted any years studying towards something you aren't going to do. And aside from jobs in science & engineering most jobs are open to you, most of which won't require your degree knowledge but more the skills you've gained and knowledge from work experience placements/or any jobs whilst a student

This is of course true, but it's worth being aware that American Studies is considered less academic/prestigious than just politics. However, Nottingham has a great politics department, so a good degree in politics/ politics and American Studies will set you up well.
Original post by Little Jules
This is of course true, but it's worth being aware that American Studies is considered less academic/prestigious than just politics. However, Nottingham has a great politics department, so a good degree in politics/ politics and American Studies will set you up well.

i hadn't heard of that, but aside from it being called studies there is no real reason why it should be
Original post by jelly1000
i hadn't heard of that, but aside from it being called studies there is no real reason why it should be

Well it's a less traditional subject, and therefore a less established academic discipline. It also usually asks lower grades than straight politics/IR. It all depends what you want to do with the degree I guess.
Reply 31
Did you enjoy the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 09034958349053
Not in my experience. I've a first in Politics from the department and I am currently unemployed and depressed. :s-smilie:

What she means is the degree will give you the right skills you need for a job, but as at any other university the rest is up to you. Have you tried the W4MP site? That has a lot of political jobs on it, many aimed at graduates. Or how about writing to your local MP to see if he can give you an internship for a few months- I know people who've done that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Funny you say that as I have an internship with a Labour MP under my belt in addition to my first. I was just questioning a poster who suggested the degree would 'set you up well' as the only use my degree has been is helping to meet my local authorities recycling targets. :biggrin:

I'm sorry to hear that - it's hard to make generic statements like that. All I can say is that, as someone involved in employing new grads with politics degrees, we would consider a first from politics a strong candidate. Not the be all and end all of course, but a good university with a good politics department.
Not in my experience. I've a first in Politics from the department and I am currently unemployed and depressed. :s-smilie:

Thanks for filling me with lots of hope there
Have you just firmed there?

I firmed York
Good luck in three years time....

Average starting salary 20k, I'll take that gladly.

Top 10 Uni.

Do a masters in a european country, e.g Lueven.

If I get a 2:1 or a first it shouldn't be too bad.

What Uni did you even go to
Reply 37
Really fancy going to Exeter to study Politics and IR next year, is it a waste? Otherwise I would like to do Scandinavian Studies and English Literature joint degree at Edinburgh, what do you think please help?
I graduated with a First from Nottingham. :biggrin: The 'proper' non-Trent one which is supposedly a top 10 department for Politics not that I live by league tables.

According to the NSS the average graduate salary for my course is 20k. However this is based on a sample of 30 when there were 221 people in the cohort doing Politics related courses. Don't know how York compares but I would take any salary data with a pinch of salt. Many of my friends could only dream of 20k.

If you've got Twitter talk to a guy called @byrnetoff a currently unemployed York Politics graduate about his difficulties finding work. Things may pick up by 2016 though. The Tories will hopefully be out! :biggrin:

In my experience (and hopefully yours will be different!) Politics has pretty rubbish graduate prospects and I wish I'd never taken the degree.

I'm at risk of being negged here but the fact that York and even Durham were in clearing this year says something about the popularity of politics degrees post-9k fees.

A part of me wants to say you're probably not trying hard enough, didn't enroll in enough summer internships etc

Funnily enough, we already follow each other (Bryne) Also, everything was in clearing this year btw.

Why do they sample only 30 people and how do you find that out? I want to re check Yorks data.

Seriously man, I actually thought I'd get a half decent starting salary outside of London coming from a good Uni like York.

Can't you just do a masters at a good uni to boost employability? or easier said than done?
It has no vocational use, but will tick the "Do you have a degree?" box for graduate schemes. Probably it will not add anything to your earnings.

People who are saying you know international relations is a good degree because you are currently studying it: why do you think that puts you in a position to make an informed choice? Isn't that like saying you know a Easyjet provides a good service because you just booked some tickets over the internet? You will have personal experience of how much the degree helps you in employment after you graduate at the earliest.

Latest

Trending

Trending