The Student Room Group

Degree choices? Career options?

I'm about to start my A-levels but the subjects I do for my A-levels will then restrict the degrees I'm open to later. Everywhere I've looked has told me that History or English degrees are worthless, but the main subjects I want to follow are along that path so I'm struggling to decide on what I want to do against what will actually pay off in the future. I prefer words to numbers so I don't really want to go along the whole science-maths route, but right now I'm getting the top grades in all of my subjects so I have a lot of choices.
In the future I would ideally like to write, and I've specifically been thinking about a career as a TV writer. I've always enjoyed writing and I like being able to use my imagination. It's the only career that has stood out to me as something I can actually be excited for but I know that career prospects aren't too good which sucks. Every career that actually pays off like law, science etc. isn't something that I can really see myself doing when I'm older but I'm obviously concerned about stability in the future against a dream that is likely not to work out. Boo
Should I do a degree that is more likely to lead me to a better career path like law? And will a history or english degree benefit me in any way? (everywhere I've looked says history leads to teaching, journalism or archive/research work which really doesn't interest me and journalism is low-paying.

Sorry for the length I'm just super confused.
Do a degree in a subject which you enjoy and which you are good at because you are going to solely have to do that subject for a good three or four years of your life

if english and history are what you're good at then take them at a level
at the end of the day you can pretty much do most things with any degree so just do something you like and are good at rather than doing something with good career prospects because at the end of the day unless you were going into something like medicine you are likely to change your mind about what career you want in a few years time so pick a degree based on your interests
Original post by Cris.C
I'm about to start my A-levels but the subjects I do for my A-levels will then restrict the degrees I'm open to later. Everywhere I've looked has told me that History or English degrees are worthless, but the main subjects I want to follow are along that path so I'm struggling to decide on what I want to do against what will actually pay off in the future. I prefer words to numbers so I don't really want to go along the whole science-maths route, but right now I'm getting the top grades in all of my subjects so I have a lot of choices.
In the future I would ideally like to write, and I've specifically been thinking about a career as a TV writer. I've always enjoyed writing and I like being able to use my imagination. It's the only career that has stood out to me as something I can actually be excited for but I know that career prospects aren't too good which sucks. Every career that actually pays off like law, science etc. isn't something that I can really see myself doing when I'm older but I'm obviously concerned about stability in the future against a dream that is likely not to work out. Boo
Should I do a degree that is more likely to lead me to a better career path like law? And will a history or english degree benefit me in any way? (everywhere I've looked says history leads to teaching, journalism or archive/research work which really doesn't interest me and journalism is low-paying.

Sorry for the length I'm just super confused.

I was put in a similar situation as I really want to study chemistry and although being a science has very good career prospects I was debating whether or not I should do chemical engineering because it ensures I'll have a comfortable living.

In my opinion it would be silly for me to say "oh just pick any degree you enjoy" because at the end of the day history and english degrees as you said have limited job paths when compared to a maths/science alternative. Being that you said you're doing well in all your subjects I would suggest that you choose (although you probably chosen but you can still change it) doing History, English because you enjoy it and then Maths and your favourite science maybe Biology for you because it's less "numbers" than the rest. This way you keep you're degree choices open until you make a final decision in about a years time.

But if you really are set on studying a history or english degree then you should go for it but maybe look into possible future job opportunities. Thousands of people finish with those degrees, so you'll definitely find a job somewhere :smile:
Reply 3
Im doing my as level exams at the moment and am targeted for 4 a's. for university i am currently thinking of doing a masters degree in Applied mathematics and physics. What I'm wondering is are there decent career prospects for this degree? and if so what are they?
Reply 4
Sorry i forgot to say its sn undergraduate masters
Reply 5
The subjects I'm thinking of studying at A-level are English, History, Spanish and Maths. I'm not sure if I should replace one for a Science. I get straight A-s in all my subjects, including the Sciences but I don't really enjoy science and I think English and History come more naturally to me.
What careers could lead from degrees like English and History?
Reply 6
Original post by Cris.C
The subjects I'm thinking of studying at A-level are English, History, Spanish and Maths. I'm not sure if I should replace one for a Science. I get straight A-s in all my subjects, including the Sciences but I don't really enjoy science and I think English and History come more naturally to me.
What careers could lead from degrees like English and History?

History and English degrees lead to Journalism, Teaching, Law (Through a 1-year Conversion course), office jobs. If you are concerned about career prospects then maybe a joint honours degree might be more valuable. For example History + Spanish, Economics + history. Languages are always useful because it allows you to work abroad and is desirable for employers with international offices, and sets you apart from other applicants. Economics (you already do well at maths) - depending on the weighting can also open the door to banking, stockbroking etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Alex360
History and English degrees lead to Journalism, Teaching, Law (Through a 1-year Conversion course), office jobs. If you are concerned about career prospects then maybe a joint honours degree might be more valuable. For example History + Spanish, Economics + history. Languages are always useful because it allows you to work abroad and is desirable for employers with international offices, and sets you apart from other applicants. Economics (you already do well at maths) - depending on the weighting can also open the door to banking, stockbroking etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school offers Economics at A-level but I'm not sure if I should take it. They offered Economics at GCSE but even the brightest people were getting low grades in it, but it does seem useful.
Reply 8
Original post by Cris.C
My school offers Economics at A-level but I'm not sure if I should take it. They offered Economics at GCSE but even the brightest people were getting low grades in it, but it does seem useful.

You don't need Economics to do an economics degree, you need A-level maths. At A-level there is next to no maths for Economics with the exception of a few formulas. Whereas there is quite a bit in an Economics degree.
It's important to choose something to study that you will enjoy as you'll be doing it for 3 or 4 years, I did business at college because I thought hey it'll be easier to get a job with it but at uni I didn't enjoy the course so I went back to my passion of film studies and media, because you aren't applying for uni straightaway you could always visit the open days and see what kind of course you'd like to study there and the tutors will tell you the career prospects. I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest