The Student Room Group

Degree choices? Career options?

I'm about to start my A-levels but the subjects I do for my A-levels will then restrict the degrees I'm open to later. Everywhere I've looked has told me that History or English degrees are worthless, but the main subjects I want to follow are along that path so I'm struggling to decide on what I want to do against what will actually pay off in the future. I prefer words to numbers so I don't really want to go along the whole science-maths route, but right now I'm getting the top grades in all of my subjects so I have a lot of choices.
In the future I would ideally like to write, and I've specifically been thinking about a career as a TV writer. I've always enjoyed writing and I like being able to use my imagination. It's the only career that has stood out to me as something I can actually be excited for but I know that career prospects aren't too good which sucks. Every career that actually pays off like law, science etc. isn't something that I can really see myself doing when I'm older but I'm obviously concerned about stability in the future against a dream that is likely not to work out. Boo
Should I do a degree that is more likely to lead me to a better career path like law? And will a history or english degree benefit me in any way? (everywhere I've looked says history leads to teaching, journalism or archive/research work which really doesn't interest me and journalism is low-paying.

Sorry for the length I'm just super confused.
Original post by Cris.C
I'm about to start my A-levels but the subjects I do for my A-levels will then restrict the degrees I'm open to later. Everywhere I've looked has told me that History or English degrees are worthless, but the main subjects I want to follow are along that path so I'm struggling to decide on what I want to do against what will actually pay off in the future. I prefer words to numbers so I don't really want to go along the whole science-maths route, but right now I'm getting the top grades in all of my subjects so I have a lot of choices.

In the future I would ideally like to write, and I've specifically been thinking about a career as a TV writer. I've always enjoyed writing and I like being able to use my imagination. It's the only career that has stood out to me as something I can actually be excited for but I know that career prospects aren't too good which sucks. Every career that actually pays off like law, science etc. isn't something that I can really see myself doing when I'm older but I'm obviously concerned about stability in the future against a dream that is likely not to work out. Boo
Should I do a degree that is more likely to lead me to a better career path like law? And will a history or english degree benefit me in any way? (everywhere I've looked says history leads to teaching, journalism or archive/research work which really doesn't interest me and journalism is low-paying.

Sorry for the length I'm just super confused.

The people who've told you English and History degrees are worthless are idiots. As you rightly say, your passion is for words rather than numbers so you are unlikely to be able to succeed in a degree that you hate.

Writing is something you should really do freelance. A lot of writers prefer having a job that is very different from writing because it makes their writing fresher and more interesting.

Law does not necessarily pay off, unless you already have shed loads of cash. On top of your Law degree, you have to train to be a barrister/solicitor and it's all about who you know. Law degrees are also very demanding so don't study it unless you are genuinely interested in it.

From English, you can do marketing and advertising.
Original post by Cris.C
Everywhere I've looked has told me that History or English degrees are worthless

Utter rubbish.

With either degree your career pathway is wide open. Humanities graduates end up in the widest range of careers you could possibly imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending