Does Turkey belong to Europe? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Marc50
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Turkey is not a European Country, for many reasons:

1. Turkey’s main land geographically doesn’t belong to Europe. Only 4 % of the Turkish territory belongs to Europe. Few use to say that this makes Turkey European country, which is completely wrong. In such a theory, Spain is an Africa country that possesses a small part of land in Africa.
2. Turkey’s religion is Islam. In Europe is Christianity. What’s a Muslim country looking to do among the Christianity ones. When we celebrate New Year, Christmas and Easter what are they going to celebrate? Taking into consideration that Muslin New Year is on 21st of March, and they celebrate neither Christmas nor Easter.
3. Turkish couture is not European, it is much more closer to Arabic than to ours.
4. Turkish language has nothing to do with the Indo European languages.
5. We should think about terrorism, which is an Islamic fruit. As Turkey being an Islamic country they shall import terror in our continent. We should be much more prudent with Islam in the future. We have enough Muslims in Europe presently we do not want more.

Conclusion
Turkey has nothing common to Europe. Is not a European country definitely, even if joins the European community, people will never be assimilated to European people, due to many strong difference.
Living example Turks living in Germany, France or UK remained Turkish, wearing veils, eating on the floor, and cannot be integrated into the local communities even after 50 years!!!!
Turkey (as an Asian country) should join Muslim counties such as Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, and Jordan, create a Muslim Asian union with identical countries in order to avoid serious problems in the near future.

Marc
Ramaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well i don't think it actually matters. Israel takes part in the eurovision song contest. I don't consider that part of europe. But really it doesn't make much difference.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ramaya)
Well i don't think it actually matters. Israel takes part in the eurovision song contest. I don't consider that part of europe. But really it doesn't make much difference.
HAHAHA, thanks for reminding me - Yes, seems like they change the boundaries of Europe just to scrounge more contestants to participare in the damn thing!
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
HAHAHA, thanks for reminding me - Yes, seems like they change the boundaries of Europe just to scrounge more contestants to participare in the damn thing!
Probably because the songs are all so desperately apalling they're hoping that by expanding the boundaries we might eventually hear something that doesn't induce rising bile.

Still, they've failed so far; maybe it's time Europe's frontier was extended to Kazakstan.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
1. Turkey’s main land geographically doesn’t belong to Europe. Only 4 % of the Turkish territory belongs to Europe. Few use to say that this makes Turkey European country, which is completely wrong. In such a theory, Spain is an Africa country that possesses a small part of land in Africa.
The UK, Ireland and Iceland aren't part of mainland Europe either. Does this make them non-European also?

2. Turkey’s religion is Islam. In Europe is Christianity. What’s a Muslim country looking to do among the Christianity ones. When we celebrate New Year, Christmas and Easter what are they going to celebrate? Taking into consideration that Muslin New Year is on 21st of March, and they celebrate neither Christmas nor Easter.
Last time I checked, there were a considerable number of Moslems in the Balkan states, who are very much part of Europe.

3. Turkish couture is not European, it is much more closer to Arabic than to ours.
Actually, Turkish culture has four influences. Being the meeting point of three continents (Europe, Africa and Asia) there is much variation and diversity. Also, the Turks have a rich past, and take on many cultural influences from the Ottoman era.

4. Turkish language has nothing to do with the Indo European languages.
It has everything to do with them, actually. It's Uralic-Altaic based, which is spans from Finland to China. Also, the alphabet is Latin based.

5. We should think about terrorism, which is an Islamic fruit. As Turkey being an Islamic country they shall import terror in our continent. We should be much more prudent with Islam in the future. We have enough Muslims in Europe presently we do not want more.
Terrorism is not an Islamic fruit. The IRA? Christian. ETA? Christian.

Has something triggered this aversion of Turkey? Or are you just ignorant?
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Turkey is definitely not European. The only reason this debate has come about is because of their desire to reap the benefits of belonging to the EU. Geographically and culturally they are not a European country.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
Turkey is definitely not European. The only reason this debate has come about is because of their desire to reap the benefits of belonging to the EU. Geographically and culturally they are not a European country.
I think that's an outdated view of being European, especially when you consider the ethnic minorities living within the EU, such as those in the UK and France.

In years to come, being European shouldn't be a constraint for joining the EU. I don't see reason why emerging North African (e.g. Tunisia and Morocco), or Gulf states shouldn't be considered for admission, provided their economies and human right records are up to scratch.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, whats the point of an EU at all if there are no geographic constraints. There are plenty of other organisations about where financial strength is a factor in membership, G-XYZ anyone?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My friend is Turkish and is adament that they are European on the west side primarily, but in the mountanionous areas yes they are more Asain. They are trying really hard to get into the E.U, and IMO they should be part of Europe. They played an integral part in the past in forming modern day Europe so its only fair.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
Well, whats the point of an EU at all if there are no geographic constraints. There are plenty of other organisations about where financial strength is a factor in membership, G-XYZ anyone?
The point of the EU was to avoid war in Europe by belonging to a common organisation and developing diplomatic links. Seeing as there is political instability in the Middle East, it seems like a logical extension.

However, the EU has transformed into much more, beneficial to the economies of the member states. If other surrounding countries have strong economies, then why not include them if their membership will benefit other states?

Now by this I’m not saying it should become a global organisation, as trade routes would be strained. A requirement should be proximity to another member state, so as to encourage trade blocs.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
My friend is Turkish and is adament that they are European on the west side primarily, but in the mountanionous areas yes they are more Asain. They are trying really hard to get into the E.U, and IMO they should be part of Europe. They played an integral part in the past in forming modern day Europe so its only fair.
It's all about money really. If one of the main benefits of joining the EU wasn't that they take huge amounts of money from the richer countries and redistribute it amongst the poorer countries I'm sure Turkey wouldn't be that interested in joining.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
The point of the EU was to avoid war in Europe by belonging to a common organisation and developing diplomatic links. Seeing as there is political instability in the Middle East, it seems like a logical extension.

However, the EU has transformed into much more, beneficial to the economies of the member states. If other surrounding countries have strong economies, then why not include them if their membership will benefit other states?

Now by this I’m not saying it should become a global organisation, as trade routes would be strained. A requirement should be proximity to another member state, so as to encourage trade blocs.
I thought the EU was really born as a trading organization in the form of the EEC rather than as a deterant to future war in Europe. Wasn't that NATO's role?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
It's all about money really. If one of the main benefits of joining the EU wasn't that they take huge amounts of money from the richer countries and redistribute it amongst the poorer countries I'm sure Turkey wouldn't be that interested in joining.
Of course. Thats obvious. Lets face it, everyting revolves around the franklins.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A very good friend of mine is a Greek Cypriot so, of course, I've been rather influenced by her (even if she only encourages me to boo when Turkey come on during the eurovision son contest). Ten years ago though my cousin went to Turkey and the family she was staying with took her passport and refused to let her go home and it was only when my [very scary] aunt flew over there that their plans to marry her to their son stopped. I don't really know where I'm going with this... but personally I would not like to see Turkey as part of the EU.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
A very good friend of mine is a Greek Cypriot so, of course, I've been rather influenced by her (even if she only encourages me to boo when Turkey come on during the eurovision son contest). Ten years ago though my cousin went to Turkey and the family she was staying with took her passport and refused to let her go home and it was only when my [very scary] aunt flew over there that their plans to marry her to their son stopped. I don't really know where I'm going with this... but personally I would not like to see Turkey as part of the EU.
You will find that Greece has one of the highest rates of English women marrying Greek men. KAKOS HELLAS!!!

The Greek and Turkish thing goes way back. I cant wait for Troy to come out It shall be good.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But Greek men are actually attractive.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I thought the EU was really born as a trading organization in the form of the EEC rather than as a deterant to future war in Europe. Wasn't that NATO's role?
Okay, fair point. The EU came about via the EEC.

However, this trading organisation was created in order to encourage lasting peace between member states by making closer economic and political ties.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
there are alot better reasons not to let turkey join the EU than those mentioned.
The human rights records for one
J
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if the government admits to its atrocities as germany did for the holocaust, sorts out its human rights issues and lifts blockades against countries, and becomes tolerant to other races and cultures then i don't see any reason why not. as long as these reforms are not temporary and false.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
was going to do a ****e joke about Turkeys belonging at Christmas but thought better of it
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise