The Student Room Group

Satisfactory number of hours/week for each maths (and further) module approximation

I'm clearly clueless on the number of hours of studying needed required for each module for a 90ish ums grade since they vary in difficulty i cannot stick a fix number on each of them. so i've come to you lovely people to approximate. and i don't want any of that 'different for everyone' thing. i'm standard and a rough approximation is needed (per week for each module)
starting from september 1st to april 30/31st.

fp2-fp3
m1-m2
d1
c3-c4

or you could simply state the amount of each hours you guys give each module a week. that would be perfectly fine. cheers!
Original post by australopithecus
i don't want any of that 'different for everyone' thing.

I think that's the response you will get though (and too some extent rightly so). :smile:

If it wasn't different for everybody then that would be a little strange.

To teach A Level Maths we are given 6-8 hours every 2 weeks for 38 weeks a year (minus a few at the end of year 13 when exams are here).
That is 6 units over the 2 years with expectation of pupils doing the same if not more in their own time throughout the year (with many picking it up at exam time).

The same for Further Maths. Another 6 units, roughly the same teaching pattern.

I know some pupils who have managed on 8-10 hours a week, others who can do 20 and struggle their way through to a grade they are not happy with.
If you are a standard student (in terms of A Level cohorts) then you are picking 2 tough modules in FP2/FP3 (relative to others) and your progress may not be linear.

Keep an open mind and it could be good to listen to 'this is what I did but it may not suit you' before trying to pin this one down. :smile:

I have written a little bit here on my thoughts, experiences and observations from teaching the courses:

http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html
jesus christ, wasn't expecting maths247 to answer my first question, or any question for that matter. cheers sir! i'll give it a read.
Are you self teaching these? Because I've self taught fmaths AS this year and have managed fine with fp1 and d1 but fp2 is tough and you need to devote a lot of time to it. My exam is in two days and I am definitely going to struggle to do well. So I think perhaps it would be, as maths247 said (and by the way, if it wasn't for your videos sir I wouldn't have made it through the AS so thank you) good to consider not doing fp2 and 3 because its a lot more work than you might think

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll take that into account. I'm self teaching all the further pures. I understand the book isn't satisfactory alone. Maths247, have you ever considered starting fp3 videos? It would help a bundle with people like me where one reason or another we cannot (or do not) go to a2 further maths classes. Please, please consider it. You have my word i'll make a hefty donation to support and help you produce the videos.
I'll take that into account. I'm self teaching all the further pures. I understand the book isn't satisfactory alone. Maths247, have you ever considered starting fp3 videos? It would help a bundle with people like me where one reason or another we cannot (or do not) go to a2 further maths classes. Please, please consider it. You have my word i'll make a hefty donation to support and help you produce the videos.

Thanks for your comments.
I'm nothing special. :smile: There are far better mathematicians and teachers here who can help. I'm just a noddy classroom teacher. :smile:
I am not teaching FP3 this year or next.
I will only be doing standard C1-C4, M1/D1 and possibly some S1 for the next year. FP3 is a long way down my list. :smile:
Reply 6
c3 - 3 days
c4 - 5 days
fp1 - 2 days
fp2 - 4 days
fp3 - 6 days

from my experience anyway.
by 3 days, you mean 3 x 24 = 72 hours or am i missing some sort of code ahaha? baring in mine it's all self taught time.
it's fine maths247. it's completely understandable if you're not teaching fp3. final query maths247. i know i'm being a pain in the backside but is it physically possible to learn fp3 completely solely on the fp3 edexcel book? i am of course accepting other opinions on this fp3 conundrum
I do Ocr so it might be a different but I find that it takes rouphly:

8 hours for C1
10 hours for C2
12 hours for C3

10 hours for D1
10 hours for d2
12 hours for S1
18 hours to do fp1
(Only modules I've done so far)

To consistently get an A (~85ums)

To reliably get an A* /full ums (~95-100ums), I'd expect to spend around an equal amount of time practicing and doing past papers.

The content isn't all too difficult for the modules I've done, most of the time spent is on doing paper and questions to ensure you have a wide applications of the skills.

I presume that for A2 modules ESP the harder further pure and mechanics, it might take 40+ hours.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm clearly clueless on the number of hours of studying needed required for each module for a 90ish ums grade since they vary in difficulty i cannot stick a fix number on each of them. so i've come to you lovely people to approximate. and i don't want any of that 'different for everyone' thing. i'm standard and a rough approximation is needed (per week for each module)
starting from september 1st to april 30/31st.

fp2-fp3
m1-m2
d1
c3-c4

or you could simply state the amount of each hours you guys give each module a week. that would be perfectly fine. cheers!

I hope you realise that you need C3 and C4 to do FP2 and FP3. Just spend as much time as you can completing the textbooks, there is no need to artificially limit your hours each week. Then you can just spend the time after that doing past papers, perhaps try some STEP papers as well if you have free time.
Original post by BankOfPigs
I do Ocr so it might be a different but I find that it takes rouphly:

8 hours for C1
10 hours for C2
12 hours for C3

10 hours for D1
10 hours for d2
12 hours for S1
18 hours to do fp1
(Only modules I've done so far)

To consistently get an A (~85ums)

To reliably get an A* /full ums (~95-100ums), I'd expect to spend around an equal amount of time practicing and doing past papers.

The content isn't all too difficult for the modules I've done, most of the time spent is on doing paper and questions to ensure you have a wide applications of the skills.

I presume that for A2 modules ESP the harder further pure and mechanics, it might take 40+ hours.

Is this per week? 40 hours per week for further pures and mechanics? or 40 hours overall? This is very confusing.
Sorry, in total.
Reply 12
Is this per week? 40 hours per week for further pures and mechanics? or 40 hours overall? This is very confusing.

Is that you Euphrates yh?

Quick Reply

Latest