Turn on thread page Beta

Should Student Loans be Scrapped? watch

ReputationRep:
    The UK is supposed to be a capitalist, free market economy yet the government is subsidising the cost for people to go to university for a free 3 year party. I think that if people want to do something that is not nessesary for survival then they should pay for it with their own money. This would stop people for going just because they don't know what else to do and also make people have to work to get there rather than scrounge of hard working tax payers.

I personally did not take out a student loan because I don't believe in taking other peoples money. My parents (who have worked hard their entire lives) paid for me to go instead.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I've worked damn damn hard for the last 12 years and have never taken a penny of the governments money but to improve the quality of life for my family gaining a degree will open doors for me otherwise unattainable. I can't afford to pay for the courses so too right i will be applying for the loan, I will be working my ass off the rest of my life to pay it off as I'm not a scrounger as you put it. Uni certainly will not be a free party as you put it as I still have to work to put food on the table and pay bills. So you had your parents pay for it? Will you be paying them back since you don't believe in taking other people's money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This narrow view that people who aren't as well off, obviously didn't work hard is getting really annoying. Not to mention, why Should I be denied a higher education based on my parents income?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmithy11)
    I personally did not take out a student loan because I don't believe in taking other peoples money. My parents (who have worked hard their entire lives) paid for me to go instead.

Thoughts?
    My parents have also worked hard all of their lives, just in lower paid jobs (my mum used to work as a nursery nurse until she became too disabled to work and my dad drives disabled children to school and back). Had there been no student loan available, I would probably have never been able to go to university, which is necessary for the job I want (formerly I wanted to be an academic, but changed my mind about halfway through my course and now want to be a librarian) because even when I am working at home I have to help them with the bills, so saving would take an incredibly long time.
    And I'm not just taking other people's money, I will be paying most of it back and then paying into the system in my higher paid career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    This narrow view that people who aren't as well off, obviously didn't work hard is getting really annoying.
    My mum used to work in a nursery for minimum wage, probably to allow a lot of the people who 'work really hard their whole lives' to do their highly paid jobs, while providing a caring and educational environment for their children. We don't have a lot of money, but I'll be damned if I'll let anyone say my mum didn't work hard (until she became too ill to work).
    Same goes for my dad, he drives a bus so he can take disabled children to school and hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    My mum used to work in a nursery for minimum wage, probably to allow a lot of the people who 'work really hard their whole lives' to do their highly paid jobs, while providing a caring and educational environment for their children. We don't have a lot of money, but I'll be damned if I'll let anyone say my mum didn't work hard (until she became too ill to work).
    Same goes for my dad, he drives a bus so he can take disabled children to school and hospital.
    It's really annoying. OP suggests we shouldn't get student loans because of our parent income, and then suggests we should be denied a right to higher education, which would quash social mobility for us anyway. And was probably the reason our parents weren't as succesful either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    It's really annoying. OP suggests we shouldn't get student loans because of our parent income, and then suggests we should be denied a right to higher education, which would quash social mobility for us anyway.
    If there were no student loans, I'd probably have ended up working my butt off in the same nursery my mum did for minimum wage, being told that if I worked hard I'd have more money. As it stands, I just need to save 3 and a half grand for my masters and then I can be one step closer to my dream job!

ReputationRep:
    As it stands, the harder I work in the job I'm doing as a nurse support worker, the more childcare I have to pay out which leaves me with very little left, working just to pay childcare. Now, I want to be a mental health nurse which you would agree isn't a doss of a course and resulting career but by the time I qualify I will be earning more money, my child will be in school so I will be paying less childcare therefore be able to live more comfortably whilst providing for my family, paying off fees and loans and doing a job I love which is necessary not only for my survival but those in need of psychiatric care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the points above, Have you seeeeen the interest rates on the student loans????? Yes we may be borrowing in the first instance but most graduates will end up paying the government at between 2-4 times the amount of loan borrowed as interest! So at the end of the day most people won't be taking money from the government they'll be putting a heck of a lot more money back in with SF repayments as well as tax.

ReputationRep:
    er, we do pay with it with our own money, just not straight away, that's why it's a loan rather than a gift.

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni increases your chance of getting a better job, and earning the money to pay back the loan. There really wouldn't be many people in uni if loans were scrapped

ReputationRep:
    And what if those not going to uni because they couldn't afford it were doctors, nurses, scientists, engineers... All necessary for sustainability of life. If God forbid something happens to you such as contracting some weird disease and due to a shortage of scientists to discover cures and shortages in healthcare professionals coming through the system resulting in poor care means you can't save up to pay for your child's education so they don't have to 'scrounge'...
    You never said what your degree was in, did it result in a career necessary for your survival?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I completely agree with you, I don't believe in taking people's money either. Hence, I'm getting a loan which I will be paying back and I will not be taking my parent's money.

ReputationRep:
    Scrapping loans is a great idea! Let's bring 100% grants back!

Or do you want them scrapped as well? I guess if the utopia you desire is to live in the least educated country in Europe with a few rich people grabbing all the top jobs in companies full of immigrants then that's a different utopia to my own.

ReputationRep:
    No, but student finance england should.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is supposed to be a capitalist, free market economy yet the government is subsidising the cost for people to go to university for a free 3 year party. I think that if people want to do something that is not nessesary for survival then they should pay for it with their own money. This would stop people for going just because they don't know what else to do and also make people have to work to get there rather than scrounge of hard working tax payers.

Thoughts?
    How are they scrounging if the students are asked to repay it eventually?

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Your parents should have paid for you to go to a decent school.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they should absolutely be scrapped. The government should not be aiding its citizens financially. It shouldn't be interfering with the economy.

There shouldn't be any governmental regulations or rules on universities or students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkingonacloud)
    In addition to the points above, Have you seeeeen the interest rates on the student loans????? Yes we may be borrowing in the first instance but most graduates will end up paying the government at between 2-4 times the amount of loan borrowed as interest! So at the end of the day most people won't be taking money from the government they'll be putting a heck of a lot more money back in with SF repayments as well as tax.
    I wonder what the average graduate will end up paying back though. Because of the way the loans are repaid, and that the debt is wiped after 30 years, many graduates may end up not even paying back what they originally borrowed. And I believe the interest rates are lower than most private loans.

I think the system is designed to be a tax that they can make you legally obliged to pay even if you move to another country.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is a mixed economy nearing a free-market. For that reason the government subsidises education because the free market would put fees well over £9000 so only the rich could go and become even richer while the poor stay poor. If the government shouldn't pay for loans then you're denying someone's right to education due to income levels. Some people take loans out for ridiculous courses that are only there for a 3 year party but aren't you forgetting most people who actually want to further their careers?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.