The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial maths offer, how firm is it? (Compared to Warwick)

I have been hearing over at Warwick a large number of the applicants do not make the grades and still get accepted.

My maths offer is **A and a 2 in Step 2 or 3. I have chosen Imperial as my firm and Bath as my backup, mainly because my Imperial and Warwick offers were almost the same (and a general preference over Imperial if I could get in).

Do many people still get accepted if they fall just short of the offer (or more).

Personally I see myself getting a few different sets of grades.

Doing Chemistry Physics and double maths.

Ideally: **AA + 2 in Step II and I
Fairly Optimistic: **AA + 2 in Step I and maybe a 3/fail in Step II
Pessimistic: *AAB + fails in all Step.

Think I have any chance? Also have heard might get offers for things like maths with computing or maths with physics (would be completely happy with physics).
Reply 1
Original post by Anon9
I have been hearing over at Warwick a large number of the applicants do not make the grades and still get accepted.

My maths offer is **A and a 2 in Step 2 or 3. I have chosen Imperial as my firm and Bath as my backup, mainly because my Imperial and Warwick offers were almost the same (and a general preference over Imperial if I could get in).

Do many people still get accepted if they fall just short of the offer (or more).

Personally I see myself getting a few different sets of grades.

Doing Chemistry Physics and double maths.

Think I have any chance? Also have heard might get offers for things like maths with computing or maths with physics (would be completely happy with physics).

It's very hard for us to say or even predict. The number of people missing grades changes every year (and ergo, the number of people who missed but still get in) - whether you get in or not is dependent on where everyone else (and you) are on the results curve. And things like introducing the new A* system, Edexcel's paper fiasco, bigwigs playing testing-guinea-pigs with the kids can change how well/badly everyone scores as a whole. (Basically any change in the education syllabus, et al.)

You've said it yourself, "at Warwick a large number of the applicants do not make the grades" - if there are more places than there are people who make the grades, they'll start looking at the near-misses and decide who to let in one by one until places are filled up. It's the same with any uni course (that's why universities get your results a week earlier.) If they think they can pick better people up in Clearing than those currently holding offers who missed them, then they will (Swansea's aerospace engineering does that, and it's highly underrated.) Imperial doesn't though, we have more than enough "backups" (as in, enough over-offers than there are places) to make up any shortfall. Sometimes we have too many.

I'm loath to say this, but a LOT of people tend to make the grades at Imperial and those who don't are very *very* slim misses. It's hard to say how many have missed STEP grades, departments won't release statistics of near-misses they let in every year. But it's better if you make your A-level letter grades and if you miss STEP grades by a small margin, as it's easier to miss the mark in STEP than it is A2 (just like how it's easier to lose an IB point than a whole A2 letter grade.)

If you do get offered an alternative stream though, feel free to take it (I believe in some you can swap back later on if you make the grades in first year.) Fingers crossed you sail through though!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by arianex

I think that post sums it up well :wink: As someone who is studying Mathematics at Warwick currently, I think from the people I know, it is true that not everyone makes the STEP grade. Although there are a decent portion of people from the other end of the spectrum - those who fail to meet their offer at Cambridge (I don't belong to either crowd; very average myself :smile: ).

My friend who applied to Imperial College for maths though was rejected even though he narrowly missed his A level grades (A in FM rather than A*) but managed to do ok in STEP II. I don't understand the admissions at Imperial College for maths; it seems quite hard to firstly predict what offer you will get and secondly whether they admit you based on your results in relation to the offer.

Original post by Anon9

OP! Don't be so pessimistic! You may be pleasantly surprised by your STEP results. I was a few marks from the grade S rather amazingly and I was sure I had only secured a grade3/low grade 2 and when I say sure I mean sure; I had analysed my answers thoroughly after I came out of the exam. I was also sure I had failed STEP II, but I got a grade 3 (not thaaat bad!). Chin up man :tongue:

Original post by Anon9

You may seriously regret that in a years time. I had the same mindset before but now I just can't stand physics compared to maths; if you like rigour and want to maintain an examined state of mind, then take maths. I'm not joking by the way - seriously think about that decision if you ever have it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Well my exams are now over, I think I did really well in my STEP I today, but that is not part of my imperial offer :frown:.
I know I didn't do well in STEP II as only managed to answer 1 question, but got 4 + 2 1/2s in STEP I.

Also sadly think I might be getting a A in Further maths not a *, but by a very small margin, after looking at past paper results, in FP2 FP3 and M3 I managed to mess up a big question with amazingly stupid mistakes (losing Xs from one line to the next and expanding out brackets wrong), guessing will probably be on 87-89 UMS average.

This might seem like a stupid question, but is there any way of begging Warwick to let me in if I meet their offer but I did not put as my firm or conditional, with how well I did in STEP today pretty sure can meet the *AA + 1 offer.

I had to put bath not Warwick as my backup as could not risk my backup needing step as well.
Thanks for responses, feel like I will be in the slim misses category.
What is the ratio like for people getting offers and people getting in, because I know it is actually very easy to get the Warwick offer for example (anyone with the predicted grades gets the standard offer), but someone who was very good at maths (better than me I am sure XD, 100 in all modules type person.) got rejected without an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anon9
Well my exams are now over, I think I did really well in my STEP I today, but that is not part of my imperial offer :frown:.
I know I didn't do well in STEP II as only managed to answer 1 question, but got 4 + 2 1/2s in STEP I.

Also sadly think I might be getting a A in Further maths not a *, but by a very small margin, after looking at past paper results, in FP2 FP3 and M3 I managed to mess up a big question with amazingly stupid mistakes (losing Xs from one line to the next and expanding out brackets wrong), guessing will probably be on 87-89 UMS average.

This might seem like a stupid question, but is there any way of begging Warwick to let me in if I meet their offer but I did not put as my firm or conditional, with how well I did in STEP today pretty sure can meet the *AA + 1 offer.

I had to put bath not Warwick as my backup as could not risk my backup needing step as well.
Thanks for responses, feel like I will be in the slim misses category.
What is the ratio like for people getting offers and people getting in, because I know it is actually very easy to get the Warwick offer for example (anyone with the predicted grades gets the standard offer), but someone who was very good at maths (better than me I am sure XD, 100 in all modules type person.) got rejected without an offer.

You'll be hard-pressed to get Warwick to take you in unless they do Clearing to pick better people compared to those who miss their Warwick offers (and I'm not sure they do), because legally speaking they have no obligation to you because you've not chosen them.

Ratio for people getting offers/people getting in? Again, I quote verbatim:

It's very hard for us to say or even predict. The number of people missing grades changes every year.

As for why the 100% scorer didn't get an offer...they may be a Maths whiz academically, but how did they do in interview or their PS? How did their reference turn out? I know people in the same boat who were either screwed over in the reference (either because the referee can't write or the referee didn't want to lie, heaven forbid), can't write a PS for peanuts (I've reviewed many that make my retinas bleed, believe it or not), or just majorly tanked their interviews (we're talking major foot-in-mouth syndrome, not regular panic from nervyness that's part for the course in interviews.)
Reply 5
Original post by arianex
You'll be hard-pressed to get Warwick to take you in unless they do Clearing to pick better people compared to those who miss their Warwick offers (and I'm not sure they do), because legally speaking they have no obligation to you because you've not chosen them.

Ratio for people getting offers/people getting in? Again, I quote verbatim:

As for why the 100% scorer didn't get an offer...they may be a Maths whiz academically, but how did they do in interview or their PS? How did their reference turn out? I know people in the same boat who were either screwed over in the reference (either because the referee can't write or the referee didn't want to lie, heaven forbid), can't write a PS for peanuts (I've reviewed many that make my retinas bleed, believe it or not), or just majorly tanked their interviews (we're talking major foot-in-mouth syndrome, not regular panic from nervyness that's part for the course in interviews.)

Imperial Maths didn't interview anyone, and I guess he had the same help from from teachers but they didn't like his PS.
I did stuff like a one week residential maths course at Imperial over last summer and other stuff like that, that went in my PS.

And Warwick I know is only a outside chance of an outside chance, but I guess I am ok with my backup that is Bath, just disappointing to know could have got into a higher ranker uni with my grades if I had chosen them. But then again tables are not everything, and preferred the campus at Bath to Warwick...
Reply 6
Original post by Anon9
Imperial Maths didn't interview anyone, and I guess he had the same help from from teachers but they didn't like his PS.
I did stuff like a one week residential maths course at Imperial over last summer and other stuff like that, that went in my PS.

And Warwick I know is only a outside chance of an outside chance, but I guess I am ok with my backup that is Bath, just disappointing to know could have got into a higher ranker uni with my grades if I had chosen them. But then again tables are not everything, and preferred the campus at Bath to Warwick...

Ah, I thought you meant that he didn't get an offer from Warwick! You're deffo on to something there, pretty much everyone does a crazy amount of Maths academically/in exam modules...so you NEED to have something else that stands out and demonstrates your passion for Maths (like your residential course) outside of high school hours - after all, they don't interview! (Unless you're spesh - say you're quite young for when you apply - or there's something they MAJORLY need to clarify.) Say if the guy had even just taken on an EPQ that involved a decent amount of Maths research outside the regular syllabus, maybe that would've helped.

Whatever it is - Imperial or Bath - you'll definitely make the most of it wherever you end up. No point dwelling on the "what could have been", uni and your life there is what you make of it. (The number of students I know who've left Oxbridge after first year and went to their preferred places in the southwest - like Bath or Bristol for stuff like Engineering or Chem - is shocking :/ As you say, tables aren't everything!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending