The Student Room Group

Help with a 2:2 Degree...

Hello,
I recently obtained my results for my BA Hons in Psychology and was disappointed to find I'd just missed out on the 2:1 mark and received a 2:2. I really want to go on further to postgraduate studies but every accredited degree requires a 2:1 or above it seems. There appears to be no leway at all and it feels like there or no chances out there for those with 2:2's at all. I eventually want to go on to a doctorate but if I can't even get onto a masters it feels like there is no hope at all :frown:
Reply 1
I'm assuming you want to go down the route to becoming a therapist/psychologist so i will recommend this

http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=35 (you'd have to apply next year now though). It's masters level.

their entry reqs aren't extremely strict you just need proof of academic potential, even if it is THE oxford

If a 50 year old housewife with a degree in social housing from 20 years ago was encouraged to apply (not me) then im sure you probably could.

hope that helps.
I believe there is a member on here who received a 2:2 in her Psychology degree and went on to do two master's and a PhD, although presumably that was some time ago now.

Have you tried emailing departments you are interested in to ask about flexibility? What about applying to the less prestigious universities? Or getting related work experience to boost your application?
Hi I didn't do psychology but i did get a 2.2 on my bachelors and have recently been accepted to do a masters at edinburgh university. my advice to you is to show how the modules you did really well in are more relevant to your masters degree than the ones you didn't so well in, highlight your strengths, and show that although you got a 2.2, you're not necessarily a 2.2 student in the area you want to focus on, SHOW your knowledge, don't just say i read this book i read that book, respond to the things you've learnt, show you're passioante about it. I left uni feeling depressed and like i'd messed up my whole life by getting a 2.2, b ut i got accepted to several masters degrees and made it through the first of two rounds for oxford.

get amazing references, research personal statements and spend weeks on it, that's what i did (i actually had different personal statements for each uni that was specifically tailored to their masters courses offered) and just go for it!

and if you'd like to contact me for any tips i'd be more than happy to help if i can, i can totally sympathize with your situation, and when i was saying i wanted to do a masters i felt everyone rolling their eyes at me, no one thought i could do it, but i did and so can you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you everyone, this advice is amazing and is really spurring me to continue and I hope someone in a similar situation reads this and feels better as well :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, I got a 2:2 in my undergraduate psychology and was also concerned about being accepted for a masters..... But I was accepted to start my masters in investigative psychology at the university of Huddersfield this September. The course is BPS accredited and looks amazing! Don't give up, if u have good references and some other work experience you still have a good chance of being accepted :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey, I got a 2:2 in History and I thought the same about Masters courses only accepting 2:1's and above.

But I'm starting my MA in Military History in September.

You've just got to look into it. And remember, the 2:1 'requirement' is usually just a guide. If the university doesn't have too many entrants, then they will look at other grades too.
Reply 7
Hmm... I would say 2:2 is not bad afterall.... Since I got a 2:2!

needless to say, some unis such as birmingham and cardiff rejected me, but I still received unconditional offers from leeds, city uni, qub and surrey...

do not worry about the outcome and go ahead applying, you never know if lady luck is by your side!
Reply 8
also consider that taking a slightly longer route towards your PhD goal is not necessarily a bad thing.

You might have to complete two masters degrees (example: worse university in order to hop to a better one thanks to the gained experience/knowledge/degree), or take additional certificates.

I did very poorly on IB. I realised what my true ambitions are in life and got myself sorted in terms of my academic priorities. Accordingly, I hopped/transferred my way to some mediocre universities and performed extremely well. This allowed me to complete a MSc from LSE, which in turn allowed me get accepted to Cambridge for a complementary MPhil so that I can target that PhD.

If you look at the straight route, getting relatively poor scores may be the end of all ambitions to undertake a PhD and attend a good university. The topic of whether you are willing to do everything to perform well aside, the best route sometimes takes a bit more planning and time, but nothing is impossible. Remember, everyone loves a good underdog/success story.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gmpttt
also consider that taking a slightly longer route towards your PhD goal is not necessarily a bad thing.

You might have to complete two masters degrees (example: worse university in order to hop to a better one thanks to the gained experience/knowledge/degree), or take additional certificates.

I did very poorly on IB. I realised what my true ambitions are in life and got myself sorted in terms of my academic priorities. Accordingly, I hopped/transferred my way to some mediocre universities and performed extremely well. This allowed me to complete a MSc from LSE, which in turn allowed me get accepted to Cambridge for a complementary MPhil so that I can target that PhD.

If you look at the straight route, getting relatively poor scores may be the end of all ambitions to undertake a PhD and attend a good university. The topic of whether you are willing to do everything to perform well aside, the best route sometimes takes a bit more planning and time, but nothing is impossible. Remember, everyone loves a good underdog/success story.

This is very good advice, it's not over after one bad experience or one bad set of results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending