The Student Room Group

If I just do squats is that enough to tone bum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was lead to believe the depth of the squat (i.e. bollow parallele) has a possitive effect in bum toning but many would argue against it due to hip or knee pressure, I'm not on either side of this though so its entirely up to urself.

But squats are a great excersise, you could also consider lower back work and thigh work too in addition to a squat as to emphasise the toned results of the bum, this would make it look better if thats what ur after.

if you was interested in lower back id say deadlifts but they can be dangerous if done poorly and you need to use a good ammount of weight due to the low sets etc, so I'd say back extensions, standing twists for lower back and love handle area and dumbell side raises if thats what ur after.

As for thighs especially the upper lunges can bee great but try to get your form right before adding any weight (if your going too) dont want a achilles injury xD

then squats can be front, back or goblet, many would argue the possitive and negatives of each I'd personaly say find the one you like the most and go with it, gym work can go to hell once ya get bored of a routine xD

hope this helps
Original post by 2ndClass
I'm sure we all work out to look attractive in someone's eyes. Sorry that that can never happen with you.....I mean why else would you be so bitter?

Besides, she can do what she likes, end of the day however, girls with muscley thighs/bodies are unattractive and unfeminine. I gave her solution to avoid that, you've done what exactly?

I've seen women with juicy quads and an amazing all round body. What you mean is that you don't like bulky women. Fair enough. Quads can look very attractive on women though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been using this video. Once you get past the fact that you're lying on the floor thrusting to One Direction it really makes your bum burn.

[video="youtube;rwVzamFR-tg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVzamFR-tg[/video]
Original post by pandabird
What kind of women could easily do a set of squats with 40kg?! That's completely unrealistic.

Why is this unrealistic? It is very realistic- maybe not as a complete beginner but within a month or two most women should be okay doing this weight.
Reply 44
Original post by Zero Nowhere
Firstly all "toning" means is losing the body fat to expose the muscle undreneath. If you intend to squat to build a bit of muscle in your legs and bum and lose fat you wont be able to do this at the same time, or at the very least it is extremely difficult. So i would first decide whether you want to lose fat first then build or build then lose fat. Personally though my advice would be, providing you aren't fat, build ass muscle first by doing target anabolic exercises such as squatting. If you do it properly and start to see gains on your ass, you may find that after a while there is more muscle for the skin and layers of fat to hold on to giving you a nice curvy bum shape, meaning you might not need to lose as much fat as you think, depending how much fat you put on during the anabolic stage (which can be controlled trhough your diet).

Having said that whether you choose to a catabolic or anabolic regime first, you should introduce squatting into both regimes as you will benefit from doing it no matter what. In an anabolic regime you will benefit from added strength and mass, in a catabolic state you will benefit from not losing as much if any muscle mass. You may start to see strength gains and you'll burn more calories when resistance training due to a metabolic increase in the recovery stage after exercise.

Lastly you will only get so far with body weight exercise. If your legs are relatively weak then you will see some strength gain, I doubt you will notice any mass gains unless you have very little muscle in the first place. Eventually you'll get to a stage where the body weight exercise you are preforming is merely an endurance exercise rather than a hypertrophy/strength exercise. Thus I would suggest doing weighted barbell squats and increasing the resitance gradually to ensure you are always gaining. However don't expect to go from a flat bum to an athletic curved ass over night. It may take weeks to see any visual difference, and it may take many months to reach your ideal goal, depending on how hard you train, how good your diet is etc.

thanks man great post
Reply 45
girls with muscley thighs/bodies are unattractive and unfeminine.

To you, maybe. But fortunately for us women, you don't speak for the entire male population.

OP, I started out in January doing barbell squats among other things (deadlifts, bench presses, rows, pull ups) and by March I was seeing some amazing progress. My butt got rounder and firmer and I haven't put on a massive amount of visible muscle when I'm not tensing or flexing.
I started on a 20lb barbell with the squats until I felt I was confident enough with my form to increase the weight. In March I was squatting 100lbs. Yes, my thighs have also changed...I've now got a gap in the middle at the top and they look firm.
It may interest you to know that I've put on 5lbs in the last 6 months but dropped 2 inches around my waist and 1.5 inches around my upper thighs.

Also, don't be scared of heavy weights, women tend not to have the testosterone required to build huge muscles. It takes damn hard work and a strict diet to end up looking like Arnie (a female Arnie or otherwise), you certainly won't do it by accident. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be competitions for it :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
What kind of women could easily do a set of squats with 40kg?! That's completely unrealistic.

:ciao:
This one! Granted, it'd be pretty darn hard to start on 40kgs, you'd need to work up to it unless you already have pretty excellent strenght in your lower body, which people who do other exercise may have. When I first started I found that I didn't have a lot of strength there but the two friends who started with me were a runner and a dancer and they were both pretty comfortable in the 30kg range straight off the bat.

I'd highly recommend starting lower until you're 100% sure your form is correct. Squatting with the incorrect form (doing any lifts with the incorrect form, in fact) can lead to injuries and injuries do not an awesome butt make!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by HanAsh
To you, maybe. But fortunately for us women, you don't speak for the entire male population.

Show me an example of "attractive" muscly quads on a girl

Original post by silent ninja
I've seen women with juicy quads and an amazing all round body. What you mean is that you don't like bulky women. Fair enough. Quads can look very attractive on women though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same to you.
Reply 48
Show me an example of "attractive" muscly quads on a girl

Haven't we already ascertained that your idea of attractive is different to at least mine? Therefore what I see as attractive, you will most likely disagree with. I'm sure you're not trying to claim that your idea of attractive is the 'right' idea, anyway...

But, since you asked..

tumblr_m7hw8ggVts1rw2a8zo1_400.jpg

0515-carrie_underwood_zoom_bd.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

All three of those women have amazing thighs (and bodies, in general by the looks of it) and I'd put money on all three of them doing heavy resistance training.

Or, you know, we could look at a pair of legs with practically no muscle on them...

Thin-Model-Thigh-Gap.png (I didn't add the annotation to the image, just so you know. It was like that already)
(edited 10 years ago)
Squats at home would make a difference! If you don't have hand weights use two cans of beans or a large bottle of water, hold it out in front of you, keep your back straight and squat, going as low as you can!

If you want to start the gym, if you squatted with the bar and weights you'd see a difference in about three weeks! I'd also recommend HIIT workouts too!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by HanAsh
Haven't we already ascertained that your idea of attractive is different to at least mine? Therefore what I see as attractive, you will most likely disagree with. I'm sure you're not trying to claim that your idea of attractive is the 'right' idea, anyway...

But, since you asked..

tumblr_m7hw8ggVts1rw2a8zo1_400.jpg

0515-carrie_underwood_zoom_bd.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

First of all those are not muscly, maybe except for the first one, barely. The rest have minimal muscle and more definition or what you would consider "toned".

And no I don't like skinny girls, not in the least. I like normal feminine women with normal bodies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Do you know what toned means? It's the loss of body fat to reveal the muscle underneath.

Oh and this is why squatting 100lbs won't make you look like you have the Hulk's legs:

64170_3182869743316_1862179774_n.jpg

Those? Mine.
Strong? Yep, you can't squat 100lbs with no strength in your legs.
Muscular? Sure, when I tense them/half way through a deadlift or squat.
Slim and attractive? I think they are and....oh....that's what's important :smile:

P.S. NORMAL!? Next you'll be saying things like "real women have curves" or "skinny women are all anorexic"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
None of you have actually addressed my question. I say muscly quads are unattractive, you say they're not and then show me examples of girls who have barely any muscles in their legs...... FYI you can squat 500lb without having hulk legs...... Look at the pic to the right, you really consider that muscly? You have no mass in your legs whatsoever, they're just "toned"

Next time read my posts before you quote me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
None of you have actually addressed my question. I say muscly quads are unattractive, you say they're not and then show me examples of girls who have barely any muscles in their legs...... FYI you can squat 500lb without having hulk legs...... Look at the pic to the right, you really consider that muscly let alone toned? You have no substantive mass in your legs whatsoever

My legs are musclular, that's the point! Look at it this way.
Here are my arms on a normal, day to day basis (well, one of them):

65159_10151121636916371_338116084_n.jpg

Not muscular, no? Nope. No one in their right mind would call my arm in that picture 'muscly' because, it's not. In that picture.

Here's that arm again,

1044432_671941852821530_571514603_n.jpg

And again, without the lighting.
Progress 16th March.jpg

Now, would you say that those arms are muscular? I would. They clearly show muscle definition and strength. My arm can't be both muscular AND not muscular so which one is it?

We're obviously not going to agree on this, and we are hijacking the poor OP's thread so if you do want to continue, feel free to PM me (if that's possible here, I've never tried). I'm always up for a good debate :smile:
Reply 54
I'm sure we all work out to look attractive in someone's eyes. Sorry that that can never happen with you.....I mean why else would you be so bitter?

Besides, she can do what she likes, end of the day however, girls with muscley thighs/bodies are unattractive and unfeminine. I gave her solution to avoid that, you've done what exactly?

None of you have actually addressed my question. I say muscly quads are unattractive, you say they're not and then show me examples of girls who have barely any muscles in their legs...... FYI you can squat 500lb without having hulk legs...... Look at the pic to the right, you really consider that muscly? You have no mass in your legs whatsoever, they're just "toned"

The problem here is, you're stating your opinion as fact. In YOUR OPINION muscly women are "unattractive and unfeminine". Good job any women who lift wouldn't want to be with someone with that attitude anyway, so you don't have to worry about ever having to date a "muscly" woman.

Any woman can do this in a very short amount of time as long as she doesn't have an injury or something else that hinders squat progress. After a year of squats I think I was at about 80kg, now my best back squat is 105kg and my best front squat is 87.5kg after 2 years. This has come through regular, systematic training. I started off doing goblet squats with dumbells as I couldn't hold the empty bar on my back due to a lack of shoulder flexibility.

PS [video="youtube;lMxNHUhQ2fw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMxNHUhQ2fw[/video]

:wink: (Disclaimer for any haters: he helps at the top to help her maintain a straight back whilst keeping the same load on the legs)

OP: Squats are awesome. Doing bodyweight squats from an untrained state will give you some strength gains, but if you want to see big improvements in body composition you will need to sort out your diet and train heavy.
Reply 55
First of all those are not muscly, maybe except for the first one, barely. The rest have minimal muscle and more definition or what you would consider "toned".

And no I don't like skinny girls, not in the least. I like normal feminine women with normal bodies.

How big and muscular do you think a females legs will get while natural?

Once again someone has seen a ridiculously roided up person and assumes that is the norm for a gym goer.
Reply 56
For OP try and throw in some lunges either holding hand weights or weights in a ruck sack.

Also do some running, but throw in some sprints in there now and then....as fast as you can also. That should sort you enough, the rest will be down to diet.
Original post by HanAsh
My legs are musclular, that's the point! Look at it this way.
Here are my arms on a normal, day to day basis (well, one of them):

65159_10151121636916371_338116084_n.jpg

Not muscular, no? Nope. No one in their right mind would call my arm in that picture 'muscly' because, it's not. In that picture.

Here's that arm again,

1044432_671941852821530_571514603_n.jpg

And again, without the lighting.
Progress 16th March.jpg

Now, would you say that those arms are muscular? I would. They clearly show muscle definition and strength. My arm can't be both muscular AND not muscular so which one is it?

We're obviously not going to agree on this, and we are hijacking the poor OP's thread so if you do want to continue, feel free to PM me (if that's possible here, I've never tried). I'm always up for a good debate :smile:

Not sure I'd go quite as far as to call your arms muscular- most anyone has some muscle definition when they deliberately tense.

They certainly look like fit and healthy arms for a female, or "toned" arms if you'd rather use that word :smile:.
Original post by McHumpy92
How big and muscular do you think a females legs will get while natural?

Once again someone has seen a ridiculously roided up person and assumes that is the norm for a gym goer.

Very much agree with this. Too many pics of roided up guys floating around the internet that people assume are natural because they aren't Mr Olympia size.

Guys then believe this is the standard for male gym goers (which in reality is miles off- just take a look around your average gym) and then go on to believe females will actually get notably muscular from recreational gym going. Not a chance lol.
Reply 59
I don't know about you guys, but my legs became Miss Olympia big within minutes of first hitting an 80kg squat :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest