A-Dog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

Does your student loan cover your rent, or do your parents need to pay your rent?
If the laon does cover your rent, how much do you get a month to use for rent in London on average?

cheers
dylantombides
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know this isn't too helpful of an answer as I am not at University as of yet, but when I do go my accommodation is slightly more than my student loan. And that is at Portsmouth University.
Walkingonacloud
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll be studying in London and my accommodation will cost more than my max maintenance loan, so I'm having to rely on savings and my parents to support day-to-day living.
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I get my first choice accommodation, it'll cover it with about £600 to spare. If I don't, I'll be about £1500 short.

Parents have reassured me they'll chip in, but as of yet I don't really know what that means.
patrix555
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yes, it will cover my rent 100%
emmah629
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It covers my rent (going to edinburgh though not London) but it leaves me with £2 a week to live off
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in catered accommodation at Durham next year, and my maintenance loan's about £400 less than my rent.
clareyyyyyyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
just finished my first year in Sheffield and my maintenance loan probably covers about half of my accommodation... my parents pay my rent, and i live off my maintenance loan
Rainbowl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm starting in September and my maintenance loan doesn't cover it so ill have to use most of my grant to pay for it . And each term ill have £200 to live off :/ but I'm saving a bit up
Aleeece123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It never did for me: I was in catered halls in 1st year and that cost about £1000 more than my entire loan, so my parents paid for my accommodation as I wasn't able to work in the holidays for medical reasons. In 2nd year, rent took up all my loan, and 3rd year I was £500 short again, but I was able to cover it by waitressing in the holidays.
Will2106
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hiya, is this living “in the halls” at the uni or privately renting a flat or room elsewhere
mediumvacuumpak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not at uni yet but I've worked it out, my student loan will most likely cover it all, but even with a minimum wage job for 18 hours a week-ish I should be fine if I budget loosely. I have a very loving mother who won't mind supporting me if I truly need it, and she currently sends me money every month for me to save up for my first few months at uni until I get a job (and hopefully survive on my own!)
If you can, please find a job before uni and save up most of that money to give you a head start and to make sure you get settled in comfortably
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (82)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads