The Student Room Group

Any supps worth using bar creatine?

I currently take creatine at 10g a day. 5g in the morning and 5g post workout. I know I could probably get away with just 5g but it's in my shake so /shrug.

Is anything else worth using? I'm after scientifically backed or at the very least strong anecdotal evidence from multiple sources.I don't class protein shakes as a supplement (I use them as meal replacements) but for sake of argument I also take 1-2 shakes per day.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently BCAAs and citrulline malate have a good bit of science behind them. I haven't looked into it though.
Reply 2
^Don't think supplementing BCAAs have shown any benefit when they are adequately supplied in the diet. I've read though that they are useful if on an IF style diet and training fasted, in terms of reducing muscle catabolism and what not (Leucine particularly) and a lot of guys like Martin Berkhan and Layne Norton recommend this. Citrulline's supposed to be effective (esp. when taken with beta alanine) in terms of endurance as well as reducing muscle fatigue post workout, but tbh whatever effect they have is probablyyyyy simply not worth paying the money.

I only use creatine cause it's dirt cheap and lasts ages, and for the price has a reasonably impressive effect
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bertstare
^Don't think supplementing BCAAs have shown any benefit when they are adequately supplied in the diet. I've read though that they are useful if on an IF style diet and training fasted, in terms of reducing muscle catabolism and what not (Leucine particularly) and a lot of guys like Martin Berkhan and Layne Norton recommend this. Citrulline's supposed to be effective (esp. when taken with beta alanine) in terms of endurance as well as reducing muscle fatigue post workout, but tbh whatever effect they have is probablyyyyy simply not worth paying the money.

I only use creatine cause it's dirt cheap and lasts ages, and for the price has a reasonably impressive effect

Yeah creatine is a no brainer. Was wondering if perhaps there was a similarly cheap and effective supp.

It appears there isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Creatine is way too overrated. I always end up looking completely bloated :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
^Don't think supplementing BCAAs have shown any benefit when they are adequately supplied in the diet. I've read though that they are useful if on an IF style diet and training fasted, in terms of reducing muscle catabolism and what not (Leucine particularly) and a lot of guys like Martin Berkhan and Layne Norton recommend this.

I've read otherwise. BCAAs intefere with some of the benefits of the fasted state, including the supression of insulin levels.
Omega 3 oil and vitamin D.

Still take a multivitamin (because I have lots left) but starting to wonder if it's necessary.
I find My Protein Palatinose really good in my drink while Im doing big or long endurance workouts, keeps me going.
[h="1"]
Protein powder is a must you cant make muscle without protein
Original post by cowsforsale
Omega 3 oil and vitamin D.

Still take a multivitamin (because I have lots left) but starting to wonder if it's necessary.

What this dude said. These are the main two imo.

I recently started taking glucosamine chondroitin. Don't know if it actually works but so many people swear by it. It's cheap.
Reply 10
Original post by silent ninja

I recently started taking glucosamine chondroitin. Don't know if it actually works but so many people swear by it. It's cheap.

Any evidence for improvement in existing joint issues? My right shoulder has been a little ****ed for a while now
Reply 11
I use whey and:

Vit D
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Omega 3's

Year round.

Caffeine pre-workout from time to time.
Any evidence for improvement in existing joint issues? My right shoulder has been a little ****ed for a while now

You're better off doing mobility work. That stuff will give you more noticeable results.

Well it is known to bring more fluid in to the joints. Apparently it's good as a preventative measure as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by silent ninja

Let me know how it goes, mostly if you come off it (people don't notice supps but notice when you come off)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whey. That is all.
Used to take jack3d but its done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking on the website, this is just a multi with 178mg guarana extract AKA caffeine. Waste of money IMO, just get a cheaper multi and some 200mg caffeine tablets.
Reply 16
Tip: if you take caffeine, get it in powder instead. It is so much cheaper than pills.
Reply 17
Original post by tooosh
Tip: if you take caffeine, get it in powder instead. It is so much cheaper than pills.

I don't really mind whens £4 for 100x200mg tabs for the convenience of tabs. The savings is pennies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by RollerBall
I don't really mind whens £4 for 100x200mg tabs for the convenience of tabs. The savings is pennies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's far more than pennies. I bought 50g for £2.40 the other day. That's about 4x cheaper per g.

I already have a 200mg measuring spoon and it turns out caffeine is a similar density to what it's actually for, so for me it only takes seconds longer to take it in powder. You can eyeball it once you set up a reference point like how much of a teaspoon it takes up. It's not like it's GHB...
Reply 19
Original post by tooosh
It's far more than pennies. I bought 50g for £2.40 the other day. That's about 4x cheaper per g.

I already have a 200mg measuring spoon and it turns out caffeine is a similar density to what it's actually for, so for me it only takes seconds longer to take it in powder. You can eyeball it once you set up a reference point like how much of a teaspoon it takes up. It's not like it's GHB...

The point is I have to measure it/take it out somehow and faff about. I can't just take the tub out my bag and swallow one regardless of where I am. I use caffiene for pre work out, work, revision and clinic dependent on how my sleeping pattern is. I don't use caffiene enough for the few quid or whatever it is every few months to be worth it for me. The 100 tabs have lasted me months already.

The convenience of always having it there in my bag wherever I am is just way easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest