The Student Room Group

Bible burning Egyptian cleric jailed

CAIRO (Reuters) - A Cairo court sentenced an Egyptian Muslim preacher to 11 years in jail for blasphemy on Sunday for burning a Bible during a protest last year outside the U.S. embassy.

Convictions for insulting Islam are common in Egypt, ruled by Islamists after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak in 2011, but more rare for cases involving the minority Christian faith.

Ahmed Mohamed Mahmoud, known as Abu Islam, who runs his own religious television channel, led a demonstration in September against a U.S.-made anti-Islam video posted on the Internet.

His son was sentenced to eight years in jail for the same offence. Both will remain at liberty pending appeal.

The video's depiction of the Prophet Mohammad as a fool and sexual deviant set off anti-American protests across the Muslim world.

The film was later attributed to a Californian born in Egypt's Coptic Christian community, a group that has expressed concern about the rise of Islamist political power.

http://news.yahoo.com/bible-burning-egyptian-cleric-jailed-11-years-165936742.html

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I'm christian myself and I don't agree with the punishment, but they knew it was against the law so it's their own fault really.
Welcome to the Egyptian religious thought police. It's pretty ridiculous to burn a bible, as it is with any book, but he should have the liberty to express himself. I fear this sort of thing is going to be common in post-revolution Egypt.
These blasphemy laws are really draconian. As much as I disagree with the act of burning holy books to enrage religious people, I think he should have the freedom to express himself as long as it doesn't physically harm anyone.
Reply 4
Original post by Scott.M
I'm christian myself and I don't agree with the punishment, but they knew it was against the law so it's their own fault really.

You don't need to agree with it, since it's a Shariah offence. Things like that cause communities to build tension and hatred towards one another, causing some groups to feel isolated or outcast. And so, stuff like that which would come under "hate speech" would be stamped down upon.
Reply 5
Original post by Al-Mudaari
You don't need to agree with it, since it's a Shariah offence. Things like that cause communities to build tension and hatred towards one another, causing some groups to feel isolated or outcast. And so, stuff like that which would come under "hate speech" would be stamped down upon.

Good point that. They need to make an example to avoid more hate acts thus reducing tensions/prevent them arising.

Yeah but eleven years is really over the top.
Hmmm interesting that the likes of chefdave etc... wouldn't care for this news. At least the Egyptians are consistent...

IMO, I'd see it as a hate crime against Christians, so it deserves punishment but yeah 11 years is quite something.
(edited 10 years ago)

I don't think its anything to do with that- bible is a holy book to muslims, ust like torah and koran, so under that sharia law, burning it is blasphemy to muslims, so in fact there is normally death penalty in islam for this. this applies to al the abrahmic books.
Reply 9

Whilst I agree that the actions of this man were not in any way justifiable, 11 years is a bit over the top. In most Islamic countries, a man beating up his wife would probably be pardoned, but burning a religious book puts you in jail for 11 years. That's ridiculous imo.

P.S- I am a Muslim.
Reply 10
Original post by Roger1
Whilst I agree that the actions of this man were not in any way justifiable, 11 years is a bit over the top. In most Islamic countries, a man beating up his wife would probably be pardoned, but burning a religious book puts you in jail for 11 years. That's ridiculous imo.

P.S- I am a Muslim.

Doesn't matter if you're a Muslim.

There's no limit to a ta'zir punishment in terms of how long a person can be jailed. The Qadi (judge) has to simply ensure that the punishment is good enough to not only stop the person themselves of repeating the act, but also to ward of anyone else that's thinking about it.

Not to mention, the context of this case is unclear, not to mention the source (yahoo) is quite unreliable in bringing about the details.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending