The Student Room Group

Drama in 2014

I've just finished my AS levels and am now looking at university. I'm expecting to get A*AB at A2 and I want to study drama. I just don't know what universities to look at. I really like Exeter and I want to go there but I have to have at least 2 more places on my list, in case Exeter say no. I'd like more practical than theory if possible, and preferably a campus university.
I did consider applying to places like RADA, LAMDA, Bristol Old Vic etc, but I don't think I'm talented enough to get a place at any of them.
Could anyone suggest some other unis that I could look at for drama? Please?
Why not just search on the Ucas website?

Why do you want to study at Exeter? Is it the location? The modules you study? The chance to study abroad?

I too am looking for Uni's with drama courses ( although I am brave/stupid enough to want to try for drama schools) and am currently researching universities. These ones seem similar to what you are looking for. Though of course you’ll wanna do more research.

Falmouth university offers the chance to study acting or theatre. Both are more practical courses, although you would need to audition for the acting course, and be involved in a group workshop for the theatre course. You need between 26-300 ucas points for these.

St Mary's Twickenham does drama, with a variety of different combinations (applied, physical, theatre arts) and again they are all quite practical. I think you need 280 ucas points for this university
Reply 2
I tried the Ucas website but I'm not particularly fond of it. I can't find what I'm looking for, really.
Exeter's course is fantastic from my point of view and I really like the location.
Thank you for your suggestions and if you do audition for drama schools; break a leg! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chazymandias
I've just finished my AS levels and am now looking at university. I'm expecting to get A*AB at A2 and I want to study drama. I just don't know what universities to look at. I really like Exeter and I want to go there but I have to have at least 2 more places on my list, in case Exeter say no. I'd like more practical than theory if possible, and preferably a campus university.
I did consider applying to places like RADA, LAMDA, Bristol Old Vic etc, but I don't think I'm talented enough to get a place at any of them.
Could anyone suggest some other unis that I could look at for drama? Please?

I'm starting a degree in Drama this year, I chose not to study at a Drama School because in my heart I don't want to act as a career and I like having the option to study modules from other subjects like english, history, film etc.
I came down to UEA or Essex, UEA wanted AAB and was initially my first choice and Essex wanted BBB so it was going to be my insurance.

I had my absolute heart set on UEA and I went to my audition expecting to absolutely fall in love with the Uni and something just didn't click for me, not really sure what it was, but when I went for an audition at Essex I absolutely loved the place and the lecturer and the theatre space was great. I found I really engaged with the lecturers at Essex whereas I didn't at UEA. It was weird because I really had my heart set on UEA and it is a great uni but I just felt more at home at Essex. I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to go to a few unis and get the feel of the place, especially for Drama :smile:

Look at some unis and see which courses make you excited about studying Drama, then go and visit them and you'll find somewhere you kind of click with :h:
If you want to work in the theatre you are going to waste three long and expensive years ladies. Universities dont train actors, Drama Schools do. Agents and Directors dont go to Unis to find their next TV stars. You are just wasting your time.
Original post by reginaldbright
If you want to work in the theatre you are going to waste three long and expensive years ladies. Universities dont train actors, Drama Schools do. Agents and Directors dont go to Unis to find their next TV stars. You are just wasting your time.

Apart from the fact I mentioned I was considering drama school, I hardly think that any of us are 'wasting our time' choosing a degree that is right for us.

Is there much point applying, paying for an audition and travel expenses if you don't think you'll get in ?? University offers lots of opportunity to act, as well as highlighting a variety of different roles then that of a 'straight up actor, I'd say community arts or applied drama is just as valid a career that using and draws upon just as many acting tools, as those who attend drama school. It can also help you focus on wether acting is right for you, something that is critical when entering such a hhighly competitive industry.

In fact more universities are being accredited and recognised by drama uk and offering more vocational and drama school esqe degrees that you have to audition and work just as hard to get in.

Secondly, there are people, who have studied at university and still made it into the acting world quite successfully. Jeff turner (of potted potter fame) studied at Plymouth university and a couple of years back was nominated for an Olivier award, also Ben Barnes (prince Caspian) studied at Kingston university, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie met at Cambridge and even Miranda did a university degree in political science before studying a year at drama school.

I think it goes to show that no matter what your education, if you are determined, lucky and brave enough you can make a living in showbiz.

Even if you do get into drama school (like I'm hoping) there is absolutly nothing to say you'll 'make it' at the end of your course, so I think if anyone that has chosen a degree that is right for them and will challenge them and that they are happy with, no matter what the institution they are certainly not wasting their time.
Reply 6
UCAS only has Acting Universities. Drama schools are not listed there unfortunately + they also have their own system of applications and different deadline dates.

Look here: http://actinginlondon.co.uk -- there are some articles on the right explaining how the process works, maybe that'll help.

Also, if you can, try shooting for a drama school. It won't hurt to try, but yes, it is extremely difficult to get accepted. Top 3 choices would be for me: RADA, LAMDA and GSMD
Original post by Mindspanking

I too am looking for Uni's with drama courses ( although I am brave/stupid enough to want to try for drama schools) and am currently researching universities. These ones seem similar to what you are looking for. Though of course you’ll wanna do more research.

Falmouth university offers the chance to study acting or theatre. Both are more practical courses, although you would need to audition for the acting course, and be involved in a group workshop for the theatre course. You need between 26-300 ucas points for these.

Hi- thanks for mentioning our degrees, hope you decide to apply here! If you want more info on our courses mentioned then visit our course pages for Acting: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/acting, Theatre: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/theatre and Music Theatre: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/musictheatre

break a leg everyone!
Camilla
Reply 8
Hey,

Here's the whole list of ALL Universities in the UK that have actual acting courses (excluding drama schools, as I understand)

http://actinginlondon.co.uk/acting-universities-uk/

Break a leg!
Original post by Powka
Hey,

Here's the whole list of ALL Universities in the UK that have actual acting courses (excluding drama schools, as I understand)

http://actinginlondon.co.uk/acting-universities-uk/

Break a leg!

Actually that's pretty handy cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest