The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

69.33% final year grade, 2;1 or 1st classification ?

Hi guys

The last few days i have been stressing over this just because 69.33% is just two close to a 1st for me to lie here and get a 2:1. After reading the rules and regulations i have found out i would have a first if i had 60 credits at 1st level but i only have 40 credits at a first. To try and put my mind at rest i have been trying to contact someone in the uni which so far has come to nothing.

So i just want to see if anybody has been in this situation with Hallam and how things turned out, or can shed so light on what might happen in such a case like mine. I have heard that boarder line cases sometimes get reviewed by panels automatically before the classification is released but i don't know how true this is. :s-smilie:

Any light shed on this would be most grateful or what my next step should be.

Thanks

Kyle
I'm not from Hallam but I just stumbled across this on the home page. Unfortunately, it appears as though you've secured a high 2.1 and due to rules, your classification cannot be upgraded to a first. There isn't much way around this unfortunately.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Don't think they'll push it up to 70% :/

If you don't mind me asking, what degree do you have?
Reply 3
Automotive Design technology Bsc, if it wasn't accredited course i would have 71.8% with one of the methods of classification. However being accredited the two methods that are open for me don't get me over the 70%.
Reply 4
Unlucky it seems like a tightly controlled process. Is there any way you could demand a re-grade of some of your work?
Reply 5
I am looking into getting some regraded just waiting to hear from people, but have been waiting for a bit now :frown:
Reply 6
That is so annoying for you! I hope you can get that extra 1/2%.
On a different note, I'm starting the same course in September. What's it like? How many hours per week?
Thanks, and sorry for hijacking your topic.
Reply 7
As an update i am having to fight for my 1st but we will see.

Now Connor i would say the course is very work intensive compared to others, more written than practical which i feel is a shame. Most of the lecturers are great and George who is the course leader is spot on. Don't get me wrong me and a few others have had problems with the course one way or another even when we have finished. Yeah i recommend not getting behind on the work load it does sneak up on you. I have that found out myself lol Hope that is a good insight for you ^^
Reply 8
Thanks for the info dragonclaw. I am no stranger to hard work, the science foundation year I have just completed was very work intensive, weekly lab reports, essays, mid term tests.
George I know is very good, I've contacted him a couple of times and he's always replied in detail. I am looking forward to starting now though.
Connor.
Original post by dragonclaw44
Hi guys

The last few days i have been stressing over this just because 69.33% is just two close to a 1st for me to lie here and get a 2:1. After reading the rules and regulations i have found out i would have a first if i had 60 credits at 1st level but i only have 40 credits at a first. To try and put my mind at rest i have been trying to contact someone in the uni which so far has come to nothing.

So i just want to see if anybody has been in this situation with Hallam and how things turned out, or can shed so light on what might happen in such a case like mine. I have heard that boarder line cases sometimes get reviewed by panels automatically before the classification is released but i don't know how true this is. :s-smilie:

Thanks

Kyle

What do you mean by "1st level"? Is that all the regulations say? Is there not a second option where you can get 120 credits across different levels?

That is very frustrating but remember having a strong 2.1 over a low 2.1 can still be beneficial, e.g. for postgraduate study.
Reply 10
Yep that is all they say, there is 4 methods normally to work out the best score but because our course is accredited it's either all the first year or as i have found out 75% average of the last year and 25% of the second.

I start my job tomorrow funny enough, would just be nice to have a first when I'm that close to it.
At least you've got a job in the bag! You could have been in a much worse position I guess. Hopefully there will be something they can do about it.
Where are you working then, in industry?

Connor.
Reply 12
Hi guys

Thanks

Kyle

It's a 2:1. Sorry.
Reply 13
Does anyone have a reason/explanation why 1st/2:1/2:2/etc classifications are still so widely used and such a big thing? Surely if everyone just got their score out of 100 it would be a lot more meaningful for employers? I can see why a cut off may help ("2:2 or below need not apply"), but why not just change this to "59 and below will not be considered" or "64 and above will be considered."

Will be interested if anyone does have a good reason...
Reply 14
Original post by maskofsanity
What do you mean by "1st level"? Is that all the regulations say? Is there not a second option where you can get 120 credits across different levels?

That is very frustrating but remember having a strong 2.1 over a low 2.1 can still be beneficial, e.g. for postgraduate study.

Really? I thought a 2:1 was a 2:1 and no one was going to care whether it is low or high.
Reply 15
Hi guys

Thanks

Kyle

probably a 2:1...i got 59.66 and ended up with a 2:1.
Original post by Juichiro
Really? I thought a 2:1 was a 2:1 and no one was going to care whether it is low or high.

No. Universities receive a transcript of all your modules when you apply for postgraduate study, and the top ones may specifically ask for certain 2.1 scores, e.g. Oxbridge and LSE ask for a high 2.1 on certain courses.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending