The Student Room Group

Are these universities really that bad for law?

Okay so law is the only area that I've really been interested in consistently throughout my school life. I have come to the conclusion that my grades at as will not be enough to allow me to get more than one A, if any so I was wondering are these universities really that bad for law? Like if I went to one of these and got a degree, would I find it hard to find a job afterwards simply because of the universities reputation?

Leeds
Edge hill
Teeside
Anglia Ruskin
UEA
Manchester
Hull

I am predicted Bs in everything after year 13, bearing in mind at our school they are not allowed to set targets below a B because they are meant to be aspirational. Thanks in advance, oh also any general advice about them, or other suggestions would be so helpful. :-)
Reply 1
Leeds, UEA and Manchester are all very respectable.

It isn't very helpful for you, if your school just predicts Bs for everything regardless of how realistic that is for you. Predictions should be a helpful indication to the university that is considering you, not what the school hopes you will aspire to. But your school isn't the first and won't be the last.

If you were honest with yourself, what do you think you will get at A2? There's no point in you planning your university applications in reliance on your school's predictions if you know yourself that you will miss them.
Original post by Crumpet1
Leeds, UEA and Manchester are all very respectable.

And you can add Hull to that list. Hull suffers primarily because it is in Hull and from Hull, Hell and Halifax may the good Lord deliver us.
Reply 3
Well honestly I think these grades are what I may achieve, obviously I will have a better idea after I get my as results in august because I really could not say how well or bad all my exams went.

French C/D (my weakest subject by far)
Business studies B/A
Philosophy and ethics B (my exam was horrific!)
Psychology B
I am still waiting for my extended project grade, which I did on whether the age of criminal responsibility should be changed in the UK :-)
Reply 4
Manchester and Leeds are very strong law schools indeed. I dun think they will admit students achieving less than AAA. I heard that Manchester is deciding to lift up its entry requirement to A*AA in the coming future. UEA is not bad at all too.

If you want to get into a decent law school, ABB/ AAB is a must. So cheer up!:smile::smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Shannon1329
Well honestly I think these grades are what I may achieve, obviously I will have a better idea after I get my as results in august because I really could not say how well or bad all my exams went.

French C/D (my weakest subject by far)
Business studies B/A
Philosophy and ethics B (my exam was horrific!)
Psychology B
I am still waiting for my extended project grade, which I did on whether the age of criminal responsibility should be changed in the UK :-)

Don't get too hung up on AS levels and A2 predictions. Even with a B at AS you can get an A* at A2. BBB at AS is not bad either. If you can't get predicted AAA or AAB just work hard in year 13 get the grades and go through adjustment on Results Day if you want to go to a reputable university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michael923
Manchester and Leeds are very strong law schools indeed. I dun think they will admit students achieving less than AAA. I heard that Manchester is deciding to lift up its entry requirement to A*AA in the coming future. UEA is not bad at all too.

If you want to get into a decent law school, ABB/ AAB is a must. So cheer up!:smile::smile:

Manchester is advertising AAA for 2014. My feeling is that the rise in grade offers has gone into reverse. It is not easily detectable yet but I suspect 2012 marked the high water mark.
Obviously I can't compare it to other universities, but Leeds has been a fantastic place to study law. I have no issues with the course whatsoever and would highly recommend it.
I agree with nulli - Hull is definitely a respectable university. Here's a chap who studied at Hull:

http://www.fountaincourt.co.uk/christopher-langley/

and he seems to have done quite well for himself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending