The Student Room Group

(please answer!!) Will I get into university with these grades?

I just sat my 5th year exams (Int 2 Graphics, Int 2 Physics, Higher English
Higher Art) and think I have got AABB.
In sixth year I am going to take Advanced English, Advanced Art, Higher Maths, Higher Physics, Higher Graphics and Higher Photography (6 subjects). Hopefully I will get at least 4 A's. If I apply for English Literature at Glasgow Uni this year, will I get a conditional offer?

I'm unsure because I have only sat two highers in my 5th year!!
Reply 1
I assume they will be aware of the subjects you are doing this year, so they will notice and then might give you a conditional offer, but tbh it would be better emailing the university as they will be able to give more sound advice :smile:
Reply 2
It's quite a difficult situation because Scottish universities base decisions almost totally on highers and it is usually the first sitting that they concentrate on so the grades that you need over the two years will probably be higher than the grades that you would have needed if you sat 5 highers in 5th year.

What I will say though is that in my experience for Scottish universities advanced highers don't matter at all for entry (though some universities count it as a higher but one grade up I believe ie a B at AH art would be count as a higher art grade A). So you should definitely concentrate on the highers this year as opposed to the AHs.

But as with most things like this to be sure the best thing to do is email the uni.
Reply 3
Im not sure you would get an offer for glasgow. My friend got ABB at higher and didnt get a conditional offer
Reply 4
Original post by elizhh
In sixth year I am going to take Advanced English, Advanced Art, Higher Maths, Higher Physics, Higher Graphics and Higher Photography (6 subjects). Hopefully I will get at least 4 A's. If I apply for English Literature at Glasgow Uni this year, will I get a conditional offer?

I'm pretty sure Glasgow is looking for at least 4 highers from 5th year :/ no harm in trying though.
Original post by elizhh

Sorry to say, but for Glasgow you need a minimum of ABBB to be considered for a conditional offer.
It'll depend from university to university, so we cant much help you there. Just research different universities and see what their requirements are. What I'm worried about is more your choices for next year. Two AHs and four Highers? That's a completely insane workload, I'm not sure anyone can handle that unless they already have experience in one of the subjects, like already knowing a language or some such.
Reply 7
You can email the universities you're interested in and ask them if you have a chance. That said, they might tell you to drop one of the AHs as A) they're not usually part of the offer and B) doing 6 subjects including AH Art and English will be difficult. Both AH Art and English have a big workload, so I might consider dropping at least one? Throughout the year, if the other AH has too much workload and it's not part of your offer, I'd recommend dropping it too because, at the end of the day, meeting your offers is very important. :smile:

I speak from experience by the way. I've done AH English (and as many subjects as you in S6 including AHs and Highers) and I have a very close friend who did both AH Art and English in S6 (without any other subjects as she already had an unconditional) and, although she managed, the workload was pretty large and she didn't have any other subjects to worry about. S6 was really stressful for me due to all the number of subjects I did (I wish I dropped a few at least).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending