The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Any leniency on acceptance grades at QUB?

Okay, so here's how it is.
I received a conditional offer (ABB) from Queen's University Belfast for a single honours history course and attended an Applicant Day. Turns out it is my dream university and I am in love with it - it's my firm choice.

However, I've just finished my exams and I'm not altogether sure how it went, particularly Drama and Theatre Studies which is a new course at my school, so no one really knew what they were doing structure-wise. They did say at the applicant day that students will not be accepted unless they get the exact grades required or higher, but is this a reflection of their real policies, or just a warning thrown out to those who achieve grades far below the required ones?

Please can someone with experience of this help me out? Am I just being too optimistic?
Thanks,
Sapphire
Reply 1
Hello!
I don't know if what I'll say will help you in some way but I decided to share with you my experience with the whole process.
My course requires "BBB" but I am not an UK national and our grading system is not the same. For what I understand my diploma is a little less than "BBB" (We studied about 16 subjects and the final sum up of the grades gets a bit confusing). Anyway, it seems that the university was interested only in specific subjects required for the course and I got an unconditional offer because of that.
Basically what I'm trying to say is: Check what subjects they require and compare your grades. If "Drama and Theatre Studies" is/are not among the subjects required, I think there won't be a serious problem getting a bit less than you've expected gradewise.
I can see that you really like QUB and I hope you'll get in. :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by H4773r
Hello!
I don't know if what I'll say will help you in some way but I decided to share with you my experience with the whole process.
My course requires "BBB" but I am not an UK national and our grading system is not the same. For what I understand my diploma is a little less than "BBB" (We studied about 16 subjects and the final sum up of the grades gets a bit confusing). Anyway, it seems that the university was interested only in specific subjects required for the course and I got an unconditional offer because of that.
Basically what I'm trying to say is: Check what subjects they require and compare your grades. If "Drama and Theatre Studies" is/are not among the subjects required, I think there won't be a serious problem getting a bit less than you've expected gradewise.
I can see that you really like QUB and I hope you'll get in. :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by saffyryder
Okay, so here's how it is.
I received a conditional offer (ABB) from Queen's University Belfast for a single honours history course and attended an Applicant Day. Turns out it is my dream university and I am in love with it - it's my firm choice.
However, I've just finished my exams and I'm not altogether sure how it went, particularly Drama and Theatre Studies which is a new course at my school, so no one really knew what they were doing structure-wise. They did say at the applicant day that students will not be accepted unless they get the exact grades required or higher, but is this a reflection of their real policies, or just a warning thrown out to those who achieve grades far below the required ones?
Please can someone with experience of this help me out? Am I just being too optimistic?
Thanks,
Sapphire

Hello, ten years later. How did it go?

Quick Reply