Stop shouting 'racist'. Watch

Seb.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Look, we all think that people who hate a certain religion for no good reason are idiots. At least everyone except them.

But everything is allowed to be criticised, if we support democracy and freedom of speech.

There are idiots and ignorant people on both sides of the argument, as well as people with common sense and reasonable opinions. But it just seems to me that if someone dares to say something negative about Islam, everyone says that he's racist. Race is not even mentioned here.
Just because there is a fair number of racists in EDL doesn't mean that just because someone has a certain opinion, he must be like them, or even support the EDL.

There has been a lot of bashing on the EDL, and some of it for a valid reason, but now I am not addressing to that. I am addressing to people who refuse to have a discussion about certain things, and avoid confrontation of arguments with accusing someone of being racist.

The religious tension in Europe is often misportrayed and presented as racial tension. This is not true. In most European countries, it's all about religion. So this issue has nothing to do with race.

I don't support any of the awful and disgusting attacks that happen, whether someone attacked a Muslim, or if a Muslim attacked someone else.
We should learn to listen to the other side, and discuss the issue we have here, because that's the only way forward.
If we close our eyes now and ignore it, it's only going to get bigger.

No one should be discriminated or looked down upon, no one should have privileges just because of their religion/ethnicity/race. I think we all get this.

Stop being oversensitive. You have ridiculous cases of people losing their job just because they offered someone a bacon sandwich. He didn't even know she was Muslim, for God's sake.

But if we all live in the same society and the same environment, we should all have equal opportunities and equal rules. Why should be something immune to any criticism?

There is a huge amount of misunderstanding nowadays towards the people who criticise islam. Stop it. Listen to their argument and if you don't agree with them, it's okay.
But stop judging them before you even spoke to them because that doesn't make you a better person in any way, and it doesn't help in solving the problems either.

So stop generalising.
Not everyone who criticises Islam is extremist. If you think so, your logic is just as flawed as the logic of those who believe that every Muslim is a terrorist. You see what I mean?
Whitechapel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Racist!
Whitechapel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But on a serious note, discrimination against a religion isn't racism anyway. It's called being a bigot maybe, but not essentially a racist.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Whitechapel)
But on a serious note, discrimination against a religion isn't racism anyway. It's called being a bigot maybe, but not essentially a racist.
Which is ironic because the word bigot means 'by God'.
Whitechapel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
That's interesting. Little pub-fact there
Seb.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
bump
Elcano
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well no, it's not exactly clear where it comes from. Some assume it came from the German 'bei Gott', but they're not sure.
Dragonfly07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't understand why judging a religion is bigoted, and if it is, then Islam Judaism and Christianity are the most bigoted of all because they judge any religion that doesn't have their god at the centre of it.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some Islamists consider themselves to be ethnically so, like being Jewish is a race before religion.

But Islam isn't. Explains why they cry racist though.
anony.mouse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like you said, nothing should be immune to criticism. But certain people think they're 100% right and you shouldn't be able to criticise their beliefs. Then **** hits the fan when you do. If we never criticise or question religion then we will never get to the truth, and that is how so many religions have grown. In the countries where they originate, blaspemy might be a crime (punishable by death) or even if it's not criticising the religion can lead to punishment or not believing the religion leads you to being a social outcast. If they were so certain that their beliefs were correct then they wouldn't need such measures to keep people believing.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Elcano)
Well no, it's not exactly clear where it comes from. Some assume it came from the German 'bei Gott', but they're not sure.
Well I think it is most likely.
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I think it is most likely.
It does sound likely, on the other hand, there must be a reason why ethymologists aren't completely convinced.
usernme_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
bullying is free speach should e not tell thoes kids off in the name of democracy?
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Seb.)
There is a huge amount of misunderstanding nowadays towards the people who criticise islam. Stop it. Listen to their argument and if you don't agree with them, it's okay.
But stop judging them before you even spoke to them because that doesn't make you a better person in any way, and it doesn't help in solving the problems either.
Completely agree. Too often arguments are ignored when the opposing side just shouts that they belong to a group which is hated. It isn't just with Islam but with all sorts, people shouting Fascist, Communist, Homophobe and so on. It's fare easier to attack the person than the argument.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very well said.

I also find it ironic how many Muslims, Christians and [insert 'victim' here] think they can be as bigoted and offensive to everyone else as they like, but then become highly offended at the notion of having that same privilege of free speech used against themselves, and demand the censorship or punishment of those who say things they don't like (and oftentimes they are given what they want). It's such a hypocritical double standard.
Catholic_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Very well said.

I also find it ironic how many Muslims, Christians and [insert 'victim' here] think they can be as bigoted and offensive to everyone else as they like, but then become highly offended at the notion of having that same privilege of free speech used against themselves, and demand the censorship or punishment of those who say things they don't like (and oftentimes they are given what they want). It's such a hypocritical double standard.
What may one expect when we live in a society which legitimizes and rewards people who display this type of behaviour. If you teach a child that bullying other children is acceptable, he will believe so. It has become a popular fad to mob those who speak out against institutional 'popular opinion' on race. The mantra is exclusively one sided and mal balanced in favour of diversity all the time. So it's impossible for anybody to see your view as legitimate or accepted in the slightest.
Catholic_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seb.)
bump
My size
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.37%
No (270)
75.63%

Watched Threads