The Student Room Group

Is 1 hour 20 mins enough layover?

I'm not sure whether this is in the right place, but...
Anyway,
I'm looking at flights from the US to Leeds (where I'll likely be studying next year). So far, it looks like it'll be cheapest to fly into Heathrow and take a train up to Leeds. I found a flight that I really like on Icelandair that goes from Washington, DC to Reykjavik then has a 1 hour and 20 minute layover before going from Reykjavik to London. I'd have to change planes. There is another flight I could take that is the same route, but the layover is 9 hours.
Is 1.3 hours enough time to reach my connecting flight on time or would it be best to endure the longer layover?
Also, a few related questions:
Will I need to pick up my checked luggage and re-check it for my connecting flight?
How feasible is it to take suitcases on a train? I've never been on one, so I have no idea how that works.
Reykjavik is a small airport so if the arrival plane is on time, you shouldnt have an issue making it to the onward flight to Heathrow. The problem obviously starts if your flight to Reyjavik is late - and no-one can predict that bit for you. Unlike the US, in Europe its usual to check your luggage through to your final destination so you shouldnt need to retrieve it at Reykjavik.

Train - if the train goes direct from Heathrow to Leeds it will be geared up for luggage. You just buy a train ticket for you. Whatever luggage you have, you wheel onto the train and park it in a luggage rack near to you. That simple. If you are getting a train from a main London station and you therefore have to get the underground (subway) from Heathrow to that station first, then its a bit more complicated but still do-able.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Reykjavik is a small airport so if the arrival plane is on time, you shouldnt have an issue making it to the onward flight to Heathrow. The problem obviously starts if your flight to Reyjavik is late - and no-one can predict that bit for you. Unlike the US, in Europe its usual to check your luggage through to your final destination so you shouldnt need to retrieve it at Reykjavik.

Train - if the train goes direct from Heathrow to Leeds it will be geared up for luggage. You just buy a train ticket for you. Whatever luggage you have, you wheel onto the train and park it in a luggage rack near to you. That simple. If you are getting a train from a main London station and you therefore have to get the underground (subway) from Heathrow to that station first, then its a bit more complicated but still do-able.

Thank you so much! :biggrin: You've been very helpful.
Do you happen to know what gates I'd probably be using in the airport in Reykjavik? I've been able to find a map of the airport but no specific information about the gates.
It'll be on a departures board a the airport when you arrive.
Reply 4
1.3 hrs should be fine if the flights are on time. You wont be needing any things else other than just checking yourself in. Luggage is usually booked to the end point so you need not retrieve it in the pit stop. You can also check "if" your flight is delayed, will they connect you to the next flight ? if so whats the charges etc... so in case you miss your first flight you at the least have a back up plan.
Original post by GarnetStone
I'm not sure whether this is in the right place, but...
Anyway,
I'm looking at flights from the US to Leeds (where I'll likely be studying next year). So far, it looks like it'll be cheapest to fly into Heathrow and take a train up to Leeds. I found a flight that I really like on Icelandair that goes from Washington, DC to Reykjavik then has a 1 hour and 20 minute layover before going from Reykjavik to London. I'd have to change planes. There is another flight I could take that is the same route, but the layover is 9 hours.
Is 1.3 hours enough time to reach my connecting flight on time or would it be best to endure the longer layover?
Also, a few related questions:
Will I need to pick up my checked luggage and re-check it for my connecting flight?
How feasible is it to take suitcases on a train? I've never been on one, so I have no idea how that works.

Reykjavik is a tiny airport. I wouldn't worry about any problems there.

Have you looked at flights from the United States to Birmingham or Manchester?

Leeds/Bradford Airport is not really practical from the United States and is inconveniently located anyway.

Both Birmingham and Manchester are better located for rail transport to Leeds than Heathrow. There are direct trains from Manchester Airport station to Leeds. From Birmingham Airport station you would catch a short train journey to Birmingham New Street and then catch a train from Birmingham New Street to Leeds.

If you do fly to Heathrow, do not take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station. That will just get you an inconvenient change onto the London Underground or expensive taxi ride. Instead, catch the slower and cheaper (but in total journey time probably much the same) Piccadilly line Underground train directly to King's Cross-St Pancras Underground Station. Most trains to Leeds go from King's Cross railway station. Some go from St Pancras railway station. The stations are next door to one another.

Allow plenty of time. Bring two passport sized photos and you can buy a Young Person's Railcard at any of the rail stations (except for obscure reasons Heathrow Airport). That will reduce the purchase price of tickets by 1/3 for a year. It will pay for itself on one journey if you are travelling London to Leeds.

Although there are heavily discounted rail tickets if you book in advance, that isn't sensible when arriving by air. You don't know how long it will take to clear arrivals. Heathrow to King's Cross by Underground is a little over an hour. If you miss your booked train you have lost your money.

During most of the day (excluding the morning and evening rush hours) turn up and go tickets are about £25 from Manchester Airport and £100 from King's Cross before railcard discounts.
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
Reykjavik is a tiny airport. I wouldn't worry about any problems there.

Have you looked at flights from the United States to Birmingham or Manchester?

Leeds/Bradford Airport is not really practical from the United States and is inconveniently located anyway.

Both Birmingham and Manchester are better located for rail transport to Leeds than Heathrow. There are direct trains from Manchester Airport station to Leeds. From Birmingham Airport station you would catch a short train journey to Birmingham New Street and then catch a train from Birmingham New Street to Leeds.

If you do fly to Heathrow, do not take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station. That will just get you an inconvenient change onto the London Underground or expensive taxi ride. Instead, catch the slower and cheaper (but in total journey time probably much the same) Piccadilly line Underground train directly to King's Cross-St Pancras Underground Station. Most trains to Leeds go from King's Cross railway station. Some go from St Pancras railway station. The stations are next door to one another.

Allow plenty of time. Bring two passport sized photos and you can buy a Young Person's Railcard at any of the rail stations (except for obscure reasons Heathrow Airport). That will reduce the purchase price of tickets by 1/3 for a year. It will pay for itself on one journey if you are travelling London to Leeds.

Although there are heavily discounted rail tickets if you book in advance, that isn't sensible when arriving by air. You don't know how long it will take to clear arrivals. Heathrow to King's Cross by Underground is a little over an hour. If you miss your booked train you have lost your money.

During most of the day (excluding the morning and evening rush hours) turn up and go tickets are about £25 from Manchester Airport and £100 from King's Cross before railcard discounts.

You are a genius! :biggrin: I love you. In lieu of the real thing, I'd like to give you an internet hug.:hugs:
Turns out I can fly to Manchester for the same price, and rail tickets are much cheaper from there! Thank you so much! The layover between Iceland and Manchester is even a little longer!
Do you think the railcard would still be worth it going from Manchester to Leeds?
Reply 7
And thank you risingmigrant and Rising_Sun for your replies!
Original post by GarnetStone

Do you think the railcard would still be worth it going from Manchester to Leeds?

It is not so significant a saving. If you travel by train during the year, it would be worth having, but the saving for that first journey is neither here nor there.

Glad to be of help
I wouldn't recommend Reykjavik, you have better options

I would either;

1. Flight to London Heathrow, get a train to Reading, followed by a train to Birmingham New Street then one onto Leeds

OR EVEN BETTER

1. Flight to either New York JFK or Orlando, Florida. Both have flights to Manchester, UK, and Manchester airport is only a 1 hour train ride from Leeds.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I wouldn't recommend Reykjavik, you have better options

I would either;

1. Flight to London Heathrow, get a train to Reading, followed by a train to Birmingham New Street then one onto Leeds

That is an awful overland journey. First of all there are no trains from Heathrow Airport to Reading. It is an Airlink bus. Secondly, that is a 51/2 hour journey on top of the flights compared with 31/2 hours via London King's Cross Thirdly, it is actually more expensive than going via King's Cross and the Piccadilly Line. Fourthly, I do not know precisely when the OP is travelling, but you are encouraging someone unfamiliar with the railway network to get caught up in the Reading Station upgrade works.

OR EVEN BETTER

1. Flight to either New York JFK or Orlando, Florida. Both have flights to Manchester, UK, and Manchester airport is only a 1 hour train ride from Leeds.

GIven the hospital pass* of your rail journey advice, perhaps you would like to elaborate to the OP on why flying via New York or flying 800 miles in the wrong direction is preferable to flying via Reykjavik. I can't comment on that but I have some scepticism about the quality of your advice.

* OP, hospital pass is a term from Rugby football of a pass that is received just at the moment one is about to be tackled.
The other good thing about the above idea of flying into Manchester or Birmingham is that Regional airports dont get the bulk of international passengers - and this means you get through Passport Control/Immigration etc etc much, much faster. No endless hanging about in slow moving queues when you are really tired. And if this also gives you a more reassuring gap of time on plane changes, then it sounds like a VERY good plan.

Quick Reply