The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an A grade in A level Geography? (Help)

I don't have a teacher and I plan to start studying A Level Geography Cambridge by myself now and take exam in November. Also, I didn't have Geography before. Is it possible to manage an 'A' grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If you haven't done it at GCSE then you will find it difficult. Also you can't take it in November, there's only June exams
Most of the geography that you do at a level is very similar to GCSE so yes it is very possible to get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks. Will the fact that I didn't have Geography in GCSE affect my A level grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
well I did gcse geography and found that it did help me with some topics but most of the topics I studied during AS level were new to me so, if you study hard then yes it is possible, the key for A level geography is understanding how to apply your knowledge and being able to structure the essay questions correctly. also do reading around each topic, the textbooks are helpful but not up to date, using examples and case studies that you have read about yourself makes your answers more unique. what exam board are you doing? if you are doing OCR I can offer you some further advice.
Reply 5
I'd be taking A Level Geography under Cambridge International Examinations :-)
Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course its possible to do it! But I'm not going to pretend its easy!

For a level your case studies in particular have to be detailed and up to date - the examiner doesn't want to see that you've copied out of a textbook! That goes for your knowledge about recent strategies such as earthquake management or ways to counter the urban heat island effect. Pick modules that link in with your other studies, because that will help you out :smile: you will benefit if you do essay based subjects because there are essays at a level and you need to be able to discuss, evaluate etc. Practice these questions, look at the mark schemes, see what the examiner is looking for. DETAIL is key!

TL;dr Possible but use the textbook as the start of your knowledge - it doesn't contain everything and its outdated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yep I'm sure it would be possible. I was planning on studying geography A level at distance, and although it is a step up from GCSE, I think it's more than possible to get an A grade. I've started teaching myself A2 level biology and I'm finding it ok, so I'd say geography would be fine to study by yourself. I've decided to study maths A level at distance starting this September :smile:.
Reply 8
Thank you all! For Cambridge A Level, I've started reading Cambridge A Level Geography by Garrett Nagle and Paul Guinness. Is it okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nagle's Advanced Geography is a very good textbook, so I would be surprised if that one wasn't :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending