The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

CCCU BioSciences 2013

Ive been accepted onto the BioSciences degree at Canterbury Christ Church, and was wondering if anyone else on here is doing the same. 😁X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I just finished my first year for Biosciences, they might change it for next year, but this is how the course was this year, it is made up of 5 modules, some of which are shared with other courses, such as the other life sciences courses or combined honours.

Core Science (40 points) - Mostly coursework, some online tests, no end of year exam, the coursework covers how to properly reference, some Maths tests (mostly online), statisics, organic chemistry, genetics, little bit of physics and such, the basic idea as the module name implies is to give you a good understanding of some of the core subjects in science.

Variety of Life (20 points) - 40% Coursework (50% logbook of organisms looked at in class (drawing + info/research), 50% factsheet work with 5 organisms of a group to research.), 60% End of year exam (See past papers on Clic)

The Organism and its Environment (20 points) - 40% Coursework (20% Thermoregulation group poster, 40% Lab write up of 6~ experiments, 40% Project about pigeon mating habits(Population genetics)), 60% End of year exam (See past papers on Clic)

Introduction to Environmental Systems (20 points) - 40% Coursework (32.5% Comparison of Geology to Plants/Animals at the weald of kent/wye downs (Includes trip), 27.5% Choice of 1 out of 4 physics experiments to write up (They told us that they would pick one at random that we had to hand in, but in the end they just let us hand in any), 27.5% Write up of experiment looking at the electron transport chain, 12.5% Write up of experiment looking at photorespiration and calculating the CO2 Compensation point.),60% End of Year exam (See past papers on Clic)

Microbiology and Cell Culture (20 points) - Practical takes place during 1 week at the end of easter 9am to 5pm for 5 days (There is some preperation beforehand though, and some of the work might be done before this week), is done in pairs, lots of different tests of bacterial samples, you are given 5 known organisms (Bacteria) and a sample containing 2 unknowns (Also looking at Koch's postulates using carrots), you will have set tasks to do each day, and they will provide the skills to determine what the two unknowns in your sample are. 50% Booklet writeup, Diagrams/drawings with notes, recording results, learning terms for growth patterns etc, 50% Multiple choice online test the week after, they gave us two attempts at this, it is really easy to just group up with friends to come up with answers, and have another go at it if you get some wrong.

In terms of what i got for the first year, being fairly lazy and handing a lot of coursework in the last minute, a habit i am going to change for next year, are as follows.

The values are estimates as it is uncommon that we get exact percentages grades for our work, it is usually A+ (80 to 100), A (70 to 79), B+ (65 to 69), B- (60 to 64), etc, so these marks are worked out using a spreadsheet using these grade boundaries, the first being the worst i could have possibly done, the second being the best.

Core Science- 73.33 to 85.17
Variety of Life - 27.5 to 79.5 (I don't have my fact sheet back yet, though the mark may be up at uni i haven't checked.)
Introduction to Environmental Systems - 42.875 to 73.9 (Electron transport assignment not back yet)
The Organism and its Environment - 41.2 to 60.4 (I messed up on the Pigeon mating habit project and the marking was extremely harsh, but got decent (A & B+ in the other two)
Microbiology and Cell Culture - 77.5 to 82 (A in Booklet, A+ (85%) in Test)

Now i'm am just waiting for my exam results on the 11th of July, i think i did ok, but fingers crossed anyway.

Also, first year results don't count towards your final mark, unlile,second and third, so really at this point i'm just hoping i pass every module, anything above that is gravy.

EDIT: Got my results the other day, averaged a First.

Core : 81.9%
Variety of Life: 60.8% (63.5% coursework, 59% Exam)
Introduction to Environmental Systems: 61.26% (66.9% Coursework, 57.5% Exam)
The Organism and Its Environment: 68.04% (52.8% Coursework, 78.2% Exam)
Microbiology and Cell Culture: 82%

So, averages to between 70.8 to 75.02 depending on how it should be averaged, but i take the 72.65 as what it probably is. (Takes into account all modules + credit weighting)

Good luck to anyone starting their first year of Bioscience in 2013. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte Rose
Ive been accepted onto the BioSciences degree at Canterbury Christ Church, and was wondering if anyone else on here is doing the same. ������X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, Iv been accepted onto the same course! x
Reply 3
Are you doing the science foundation or going straight into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Are you doing the science foundation or going straight into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im going straight into it, you?
Reply 5
No I'm doing the foundation year first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No I'm doing the foundation year first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

same i'm doing the foundation year first . can't wait to start :smile:
Reply 7
Yayy :biggrin: are you in student accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yayy :biggrin: are you in student accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope I'm on the waiting list I applied late for accommodation . Are you ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah I'm in university housing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending