The Student Room Group

Clueless about uni...

I have no idea what course to do at uni! I know I definitely want to go, but I'm so indecisive about what to do there. I currently do chemistry, maths, geography and business at AS level, and I enjoy chemistry and maths the most. I was interested in doing geology for a while but then I realised that for someone as indecisive as me, choosing something specific like that isn't a good idea.
So now it's down to chemistry and maths. I was thinking of doing a dual honours (because I like maths just as much as chem, and I think it opens up my career options a bit more?) but that's only offered at like 2 unis, and they weren't really the type of unis I wanted to go to. So do I just choose one of the subjects so that I have a larger choice of unis, or do I take a risk and go to a uni I didn't want to go to so that I can do a dual honours?
I'd appreciate any advice! :smile:
Reply 1
I've been lead to believe that degree level chemistry is fairly mathematical anyway, but chemical engineering, or chemistry with mathematics might be alternatives.
Reply 2
I am currently looking at Universities too for me it wasn't as hard as I know what I want to do. But I have helped a friend who was completely clueless.

I would say start looking at locations, where you would want to go to uni and then see the courses on offer there. As well as duel honours theres also major/minor so thats something else to look into.
Reply 3
Original post by JJ_TW
I am currently looking at Universities too for me it wasn't as hard as I know what I want to do. But I have helped a friend who was completely clueless.

I would say start looking at locations, where you would want to go to uni and then see the courses on offer there. As well as duel honours theres also major/minor so thats something else to look into.

Please ignore this, choose the course you want, then visit a few unis offering this course and see which one appeals to you more. You don't want to be stuck in a city you love but doing a course you hate, that sounds like a waist of a year to me
Reply 4
I'd say start from even further ahead. Think of a career you would like to do, maybe even make a list. Then, find out the university qualifications you'd need for that job. Then look for unis that offer that degree, and make a list of the ones you'd like to attend.
Reply 5
I'd say the post above is the one you should follow. Not the others.
Reply 6
Original post by Lasagneee
I have no idea what course to do at uni! I know I definitely want to go, but I'm so indecisive about what to do there. I currently do chemistry, maths, geography and business at AS level, and I enjoy chemistry and maths the most. I was interested in doing geology for a while but then I realised that for someone as indecisive as me, choosing something specific like that isn't a good idea.
So now it's down to chemistry and maths. I was thinking of doing a dual honours (because I like maths just as much as chem, and I think it opens up my career options a bit more?) but that's only offered at like 2 unis, and they weren't really the type of unis I wanted to go to. So do I just choose one of the subjects so that I have a larger choice of unis, or do I take a risk and go to a uni I didn't want to go to so that I can do a dual honours?

You're the first person I've met who did the same AS's as me :biggrin:

This time last year I was looking into something to do with geography, but just like you, I preferred chem and maths :smile: I applied for pharmacy in the end (really regretted not taking biology at AS), and my back up would have been a plain Chemistry course through clearing...

I'd think about all your options more over the summer, you've got plenty of time before applying :smile: I wouldn't do a dual honours personally, as you've said -you don't want to end up going to a uni that you don't like :smile:
Reply 7
Have you been looking at dual honours courses which are sepcifically titled chemistry and maths? I applied to several universities this year for a degree called 'combined honours' or 'flexible combined honours' where my subject combination wasn't offered as a specific degree- this may be an option! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lasagneee

Maths and chem were also my favourite subjects at school and I really enjoy chemical engineering. Knowledge of geography and business is also very helpful for the feasibility and location (justifying locating a chemical plant in a given area) parts of design projects which are an integral part of any chem eng course. It's a very broad degree which opens a lot of doors. If you're interested and want to learn more, I think you may find this vid interesting: [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3NLpNY8pY[/video]
Hey, this website is really good for when you're deciding what to do at university. You make an account and then fill out a questionnaire which asks you questions about you as a person, your interests etc etc and then shows you which courses you may enjoy based on your answers. It's quite long and extensive so it's quite specific. After you've done that you can narrow down to universities that offer the courses it suggests and narrow it down further by choosing which areas of Britain you'd like to study in.
Here it is http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/
Hope that helps and good luck in your decision!
Reply 10
Wondering if anybody who has received offers for Chemistry at Birmingham or Warwick can help me out.

My AS grades are looking likely to be AAAB: A in Chemistry, Maths and English Literature, and B in Biology. In Biology I am estimating that I will get a C in one module, although my other module and coursework are above 90% (exam blip).

I am continuing with Chemistry, Biology and Maths to A2. With AS results of AAB (Maths, Chemistry, Biology) and A2 predictions of AAA, am I likely to still receive offers despite the B in Biology which includes the C module or will I be rejected?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending