English Literature Extended Project Idea?

Watch this thread
12345student
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have intentions of studying English Literature at degree level and therefore want to relate my EPQ to this subject.

My current idea is to do, 'How the nature of war is presented through Literature' and to study the following modern texts: Catch 22, Birdsong and A Farewell to Arms. I was then going to compare these texts to some Victorian Literature to see how the attitudes and presentation of war compares.

Is this a good idea for an extended project and if so, do you have any suggestions as to what Victorian novels would be a suitable comparison for this title?
Also, what do you think of the suitability of the novels I have chosen so far?

Thanks, all help and constructive criticism is appreciated. :-)
dark-blue
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
I think your title has potential, but you might need to narrow it down, possibly by reducing the number of texts you look at. But your supervisor will no doubt be able to help you do this.
12345student
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by dark-blue)
I think your title has potential, but you might need to narrow it down, possibly by reducing the number of texts you look at. But your supervisor will no doubt be able to help you do this.
Unfortunately, my supervisor hasn't been a huge help, which is why I ended up on TSR asking for advice! Haha!! Would a more specific question be something along the lines of, 'Howthe nature of war and its impact on society is presented through Literature?' or would it be better to focus primarily on one specific war?
Thanks for the advice
dark-blue
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 12345student)
Unfortunately, my supervisor hasn't been a huge help, which is why I ended up on TSR asking for advice! Haha!! Would a more specific question be something along the lines of, 'Howthe nature of war and its impact on society is presented through Literature?' or would it be better to focus primarily on one specific war?
Thanks for the advice
Oh dear! Hopefully they begin to be more helpful as they're an important part of the process. It's difficult to say if you should focus on just one war as it would probably depend on your personal tastes - you say, for instance, you thought about Victorian Literature and obviously, the World Wars hadn't happened then but you might want to compare time differences in how war is presented. On the other hand, this could still be done with the same war - we have modern fiction but how does this differ from literature written during wars by people with firsthand experience (e.g. war poetry)? You might also like to consider how different countries present the same war - I love The Book Thief which makes the reader sympathise with German characters, Then you also have perspective when you consider books such as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Diary of Anne Frank. Focusing on one war might be better in terms of manageability, research and focus.

Ultimately, I think what you need to do is have a very targetted question which allows you to come to an answer and in which the two components (presentation of war and literature) have been clearly defined. Remember also that an English EPQ is not like an English essay so you will need to do more than simply analyse the language used. (PS You did do the AQA Lit course which looks at war texts, did you?)
kelli.r
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I did the EPQ last year and I would definitely agree that you should find as focussed a question as possible, keep the number of text you use low as you're going to have to read a lot around the subject already, one of the big points with EPQ is that they want you using a lot of sources and research in your essay.
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would agree with the other posters. I say focus on just one war that was popularised through literature. Focus on about two or three small literature, maybe do one play, one drama and one poem, or possibly even two? If not at least use 2 genres instead.
Jaycart27
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm no expert on this area (I'm trying to decide on a title for my EPQ myself) but I thought I'd just suggest Journey's End as a play about war
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads