Best Wetherspoons in the UK. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
The best one is the "Knights Templar" on Chancery Lane - very nice one - one can find many barristers there at lunch time.
And many a civil servant in the evenings
deary_ma_leary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ooo wood green but its not that good. do any of the wetherspoons mentioned here already have an entertainment license coz wood greens 'wetherspoons' doesn't which is very annoying!!

the white lion on stroud green is often pretty dead except for the oldies of finsbury park but its got some friendly bar staff and is cheaper than the bar we used to go on to
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
ooo wood green but its not that good. do any of the wetherspoons mentioned here already have an entertainment license coz wood greens 'wetherspoons' doesn't which is very annoying!!

the white lion on stroud green is often pretty dead except for the oldies of finsbury park but its got some friendly bar staff and is cheaper than the bar we used to go on to

thats the whole point of a 'spoons. they dont have entertainment liscences so the alcohol is cheeper.

love Katy ***
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I'm totally bias but my favourite is
  • the Hamilton Halls, Liverpool Street and The William Aymler, Harlow, Essex ~ my local

The worst by far is "Whetherspoons" aptly named in Victoria station, a dingy little whetherspoons inside Victoria station with not even enough room to swing a cat
May I add it's so refreshing to come to a student forum and see so many people in love with whetherspoons the greatest chain of pubs in the countries...almost certainely designed for student or other poor alcoholics, my friday and sunday nights wouldn't be the same without it!
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
thats the whole point of a 'spoons. they dont have entertainment liscences so the alcohol is cheeper.

love Katy ***
oh ok, i didnt realise that. it still annoys me but by the time ive been drinking for a while, it doesnt matter anyway
Sa-ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, i think my top three wetherspoons are the ones that are in converted buildings- they're so much more interesting that way! I like:

1) The Capitol in Forest Hill - used to be an old cinema, interesting design, nice staff, good toilets, hardly any townies (they hang out outside McDonalds across the road) and it has the added advantage of being my local when i'm at home!

2) The one in Liverpool St station - it's just really nice inside, though it can get quite packed. I have no idea what it's called. The loos aren't that good though.

3) The Imperial in Exeter - again, funky design, good toilets. Blahblahblah...

I love wetherspoons
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sa-ra-ra-ra)
Hmm, i think my top three wetherspoons are the ones that are in converted buildings- they're so much more interesting that way! I like:

2) The one in Liverpool St station - it's just really nice inside, though it can get quite packed. I have no idea what it's called. The loos aren't that good though.

I love wetherspoons
... is called Hamilton Hall, a former ballroom of the Great Eastern Hotel.

A whole lot of the rail stations owned by National Rail, (rather than the individual operators) are turning into buildings resembling airport concourses, so much is the retail development useage.

Compare places such as Liverpool Lime St, Edinburgh Waverley, Liverpool St, Birmingham New Street, Leeds, Manchester Piccadilly etc ("NR Major Stations") to Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield (Midland Mainline operated), and you'll find there is a huge difference in the standards.
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I vote for the one in Newcastle, simply because its the only one Ive been to. Wow, didnt know ther was sooo many!!
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

1) The Capitol in Forest Hill - used to be an old cinema, interesting design, nice staff, good toilets, hardly any townies (they hang out outside McDonalds across the road) and it has the added advantage of being my local when i'm at home!

3) The Imperial in Exeter - again, funky design, good toilets. Blahblahblah...

I love wetherspoons
The Capitol in Forest Hill now a Wetherspoons!! My dad used to tell me how he went to Saturday morning pictures there as a kid in the 50's. Wait until I tell him, he'll be well upset
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I've been to the Geoge Street one. My favourite wetherspoons is probably the Moon Under Water on Deansgate Manchester which is in the guiness book of records for being the biggest pub in the UK.

There is one in central London on Edgeware Road which is quite nice.
i thought the standing order on george street was bloody huge. How big is the manchester one in comparison?

I was in the one in Durham last night, crap compared to the standing order.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
i thought the standing order on george street was bloody huge. How big is the manchester one in comparison?

I was in the one in Durham last night, crap compared to the standing order.
What's the Durham one called, I can't remember if I've been there or not?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Water House. It's quite nice.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Regal in Gloucester is an old cinema too - and as a result is such a cool space!
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
it said weatherspoons on the front. Has a sort of trying to be trendy and modern fireplace in it. It's of average size.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
it said weatherspoons on the front. Has a sort of trying to be trendy and modern fireplace in it. It's of average size.
I'm not sure if I've visited that one, unless it was the one right by the river.

I'll have to ask my siblings when they get back, they'll know.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The one in Liverpool St station - it's just really nice inside, though it can get quite packed. I have no idea what it's called. The loos aren't that good though
.....Well thats two votes for the Hamilton Halls then!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
.....Well thats two votes for the Hamilton Halls then!
The Hamilton Halls is quite nice. Nice chandeliers, and a regal feel. Can get quite busy though, and is full of businesspeople. I can't complain about the toilets.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The one in Liverpool is ok, but nothing special really. The one in southport is also ok, but i don't go very often (bad memories of when i got very ill on vodbull there).

we have a bar in southport that is owned by wetherspoons called Lloyds and has a music lisence, *they don't advertise much that it's owned by wetherspoons*, it's pretty nice and cheap during the week (but 1 of the more expensive places friday/saturday)

i don't really notice the prices being that much cheaper in wetherspoons, but it's pretty cheap everywhere up here anyway.

lou xxx
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Has anyone been to the one in Hexham, Northumbria? It used to be an old theater/cinema.

HOW on EARTH have you been to Hexham?!?!?!

x o x
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (50)
27.03%
No (135)
72.97%

Watched Threads